Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Gabbar99 View Post
    Moose burgers. Wow.

Here's a photo from the Backpacker website. Indian Creek trail in Arkansas Ozarks. That's my son in the picture. Hard to believe it's been nearly 20 years.

Here's a photo from their trip this past summer:

Amazing shots, Gab. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by steffo99 View Post
    Neat. I'm imagining your ancestor, Mark MacLeod, arriving with the last of his clan, to escape the evil warlord the Kurgan. You're now setting up trail cams to see the enemy coming. The final Gathering is getting closer.
    LOL. That might be close to being true
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My sister sent this to me from a friend who took the snapshot near the Pecos River.

Wild Horses

_____

steffono made this Viking Video..

https://twitter.com/MollyCocktail/st...15012007694712
    Last edited by Mark1T; 12-02-2023 at 11:42 AM.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Mark, I really enjoyed your story.
    A lot of pulp was cut in my neck of the woods growing up. Losing one's bearings is easily done. Getting turned around happens to many. I have a saying that I never get lost but there are times that I may be confused for a few days

I use my GPS for fishing, hunting, and backpacking all the time. Daily actually. Gone are the days of peering over paper topos, reading contours and guessing.

Now it’s as easy as looking on google earth or a map of a lake bottom, picking out areas you want to explore, plugging them into your gps or fishfinder and hit go. If you happen to find something by stumbling upon it in your travels on water or land. Save waypoint. Saying that I am a huge fan would be an understatement, they changed my life. lol

Gabbar, those shots are amazing.

Temps today were around 20 and the snow was crisp, a great day for bombing around on the bike. So that’s what I did.

I thought I’d throw in some ramblings on Hammocks..

I am fairly new to Hammock Camping but I think it is the best thing since sliced bread so I figured I would pop some of my thoughts in here.

The hammocks I use aren't like your typical hammock, however you can use those and they work quite fine, but I will be referencing the one that I use.

Over the years I have spent time in the bush in every kind of shelter imaginable. I don’t do the small pop up tents much any more. The older I get the less appealing sleeping on the ground is, mattress pads are big and the blow up kind always springs a leak on me for some reason and I always have to patch them but I have not had one blow out on me through hammock use.

A hammock solves all these issues, you are up off the ground, they come with a zip on mosquito net, set up in a couple of minutes and with a tarp above it you are high and dry with no worries of a rainstorm running a small river through your camp. I 100% guarantee you that you will get a better sleep than in a tent and for us backpackers they are space and weight savers, coming in at just over 2 pounds and compact. No poles are required, just a couple of trees and they are everywhere.

So this is the one that I have. It’s called the Amok Draumr 5.0 - Hammock

Disclaimer: This is not a picture of my hammock, I got them online and that is Not me in the hammock, so you pervs can put your peckers back in your pants

You’ll notice that in the model that I use, you are actually positioned opposite of a traditional hammock, this is a huge bonus imo, I find it more stable and lays flatter for sleeping.

I was the first of anyone that I know personally to have one, my buddy would tell everyone, Dunk, is going to be a bear taco and I got first dibs on his ATV and Boat.

That was a few years ago and most of my friends have them now and I still have my ATV and boat lol

For me they are great and I don't have a negative thing to say about them.

That’s the end of my Rambling, if you managed to reach this far. You can stop reading now
    Last edited by mtpockets; 12-02-2023 at 12:27 PM.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

MT, thanks for the rundown on GPS. I do have a question.

I am sure there many different GPSs, but do they display where you are and where you want to go after you input your destination?

And, I guess you would have your home-base ready to use so that it will guide you back easily?

How big is the screen?

No rush.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Howdy Mark

The screen size varies with different models.

I use an app on my phone mostly, some are free some are not, I also have a tablet that I load the apps on and use those in the boat for a bigger screen. So size varies from a watch size to a larger device.

Google maps is a pretty good free one, of course you can upgrade most apps for more perks.

Yes most apps will show you your present location as well as your destination.

Some will even trace your route and record it for you and you can save it to retrace it later.

Yup, you can add “way points” at any time or location. I do it all the time for locations I wish to return to. I am always leaving my bike, atv or backpack and heading out on foot. I always mark a waypoint of that location so when it comes time to go back to it, a couple of presses of the button and boom, the location is displayed, hit “go to” and it will give you the route and distance.

Some of them even have an option that will warn you by beeping if you go off track. Set it to “go to” your point. Set a deviation preference. Put it in your pocket and if you go off to the left or right of your track by a certain distance. It will beep. That’s your cue to get back in line lol.

They are so much simpler to use these days, especially the apps, My first GPS an Eagle explorer. You pretty much needed a university degree to operate it. Took me for ever to be proficient with that one lol

GPS is in everything these days, It’s in my camera that’s over 12 years old. In my drone..One button, push it and the fukker will fly back and land where it took off from… Fukkin Magic Bro.. lol

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

MT, great. Thanks. I am familiar with the GPS Navigation on iPhone, but I thought it might be limited for the wilderness.

Good to know.

Last nights moon.

Last nights moon was bright so after the fights last night, I went outback to see if I could get any wolves to answer. It's pretty much hit or miss, they move around a lot and they come through the area every 2 to 4 days it seems and since August it's been more miss that hits. But it's a lot of fun talking to them when they are around.

I usually start calling with coyote calls, they were very responsive and in a couple of minutes I had them yipping from all directions. Then I started calling wolves, you could hear a pin drop after the first call and those Coyotes went dark and ghosted me lol.

I never did get a wolf answer but only stayed a little while. The old fart sack was calling my name.

Anyhow, it's almost time to hit the trails so I can be back by noon.

Ya'll have a great day and get outside.

MT, those hammocks look great. I would still be scared of a bear taking me out while slumbering

Those coyotes know their masters Great Moon shot. The deer are moving wild down here. Hogs, too. We have our share of coyotes and I have had them run right in front of me.

Wild hogs are a nuisance everywhere and I took out this one last night. They chase deer and cause lots of land damage. Sorry for the squeamish, but this is the Outdoors thread.

steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Mark, you are like the terminator of the wild dude! Also, thanks for sharing pics pockets and gabbar. Just wish I could be there for the cooking after.

steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Was out today for just 2 hours, and I'd say the Kamik boots seem fine overall, but my toes still got a bit cold (with a single pair of socks) at -8 celsius although rated for -40 celsius. So just send for a winter sole and these packet of heating stuff. Have any of you you used these before ? For toes you attach to sock, and the hand ones you can keep in the pocket etc. If have a cold behind, you know where to put it. Supposed to last for 8-12 hrs. Not sure if crap or not, but will test and report back.

Hey Mark, congrats on the Hog, I don't have any experience with them but I do know they can do a lot of damage.. What Calibre, distance? Give us the juicy details. How big was that? Hard to tell and I know nothing about them..

Steffo, some people have a hard time keeping their feet warm, my missus is like that. I am not, I could wear sneakers at -30 and be fine. I am one of the lucky ones. The same with Gloves and Mittens, I never get cold and spend most of my day bare handed or just cotton cloves even in deep minus temps, as long as I am out of the wind.

For hiking, even in winter, I don't wear insulated boots.

However when I am just sitting for long periods, ice fishing or hunting I have ultra light extreme cold footwear.

These are my go to's for that and these work for me at -40 and rated for a lot more..

Winter Boots | Ultra light | White | -85°C | Nat’s
    Model: R920
    Snowmobile and snowshoes | Unisex winter boot
    • Muk-Luk style winter boots.
    • Lined nylon upper.
    • Front lacing and top draw cord closure.
    • Ultra light EVA bottom with high thermal efficiency.
    • Removable liner with Primaloft® 400g insulation. (Liner also sold separately: Style 1314 (Primaloft® 400g.).).
    • Comfort zone: -121°F.

Rain boots | Camouflage | Removable liner | Nat’s
    Model: 1530C
    Hunting and fishing | Unisex waterproof boot
    • Waterproof camo boots made of EVA with removable liner.
    • Removable foam liners with 200g. Primaloft® insulation.
    • Auto clean traction outsole.
    • Adjustable nylon cuff with draw cord closure.
    • Ultra light, EVA has great thermal properties and keeps you warm and dry.
    • Antimicrobian, oil and animal waste resistant.
    • Comfort zone : -94°F.

To answer your question about the hand/foot warmer thingies. I have no experience with them but I do know people who swear by them and say they are the best thing since sliced bread for them.. One of my friends feet are so bad that when she is snowmobiling she has rechargeable heated socks lol.. I hope the warmers work for you.

Were you moving around lots? or just standing/sitting still? Are your boots tight? That can be an issue, a little bit sloppy keeps the circulation moving better and can help with staying warm.

Good Luck, I am interested on how the warmers work for you.

Thanks for your answer pockets. Yeah ofc feels more when standing still a bit. Interesting that it can vary so much from person to person though. I may be negatively affected from a constant chew tobacco use as well, not sure.

Those boots you showed look insane, - 85 and not that bad in price (150-180 candian dollars).Will bookmark page there. Didn't even know they made boots like that. Aye, learning about the tightness etc which seems counterintuitive but think I had some proper space. Probably I'm just one of those ppl you mentioned.

I do think I will need gear mostly for sitting around and not walking/hiking around that much, so I guess I should think more about that when planning/buying something.

Nice to hear about those packs - after last post etc I found out there was some recharchable stuff to buy as well.

Appreciate the reply.

Edit: Maybe I should mention that in my part of the country there is more humidity so they always say the much colder temps further north feel like nothing compared to here.

I was only 20 when last had to endure the elements, but then we all just got the same simple gear and didn't think about any options really.
    Last edited by steffo99; 12-03-2023 at 03:33 PM.

Mark, you are like the terminator of the wild dude! Also, thanks for sharing pics pockets and gabbar. Just wish I could be there for the cooking after.

Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    Hey Mark, congrats on the Hog, I don't have any experience with them but I do know they can do a lot of damage.. What Calibre, distance? Give us the juicy details. How big was that? Hard to tell and I know nothing about them..
    It was a Boar (male) Hog. Probably a little over 100lbs. I have seen 300lb+. I just used my 30/30, placed right in the neck. If you shoot a hog in the shoulder, it will still run 100 yards plus and odds are you won't find them. They are tanks. Neck and head shots put them down but still ran 20 yards.

Distance was about 100 yards.

Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    It was a Boar (male) Hog. Probably a little over 100lbs. I have seen 300lb+. I just used my 30/30, placed right in the neck.
    When the end times comes, I hope we're on the same team, lol.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    GPS
    I got a muzzle loader antelope tag after applying for 4 years. Late 90's. Someone suggested to buy a GPS and scout around and mark the locations where the antelope are and go back the next day and ask permission from the land owner. The closest I get was about 200 yards with a .45 ML. Held about 3 feet over its back. It was in a disked field. I fired. It ran off untouched. I didn't see any dirt move from the bullet.

I must have been an inch or two high and the bullet hit the ground behind the 'lope and I couldn't see any soil disturbance.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparro
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossu
    SuicideGripMe: Falco
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Wease
    Stefo9: Fert
    Camarja: Raccon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

When the end times comes, I hope we're on the same team, lol.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    I got a muzzle loader antelope tag after applying for 4 years. Late 90's. Someone suggested to buy a GPS and scout around and mark the locations where the antelope are and go back the next day and ask permission from the land owner. The closest I get was about 200 yards with a .45 ML. Held about 3 feet over its back. It was in a disked field. I fired. It ran off untouched. I didn't see any dirt move from the bullet.

I must have been an inch or two high and the bullet hit the ground behind the 'lope and I couldn't see any soil disturbance.
    Very cool. 200 yards with a ML is no joke. Even though you missed, it was an excellent effort and I am sure you learned from it. It all makes you better.

Caught this Red Fox at a corn feeder a week or so ago. Striking color:

Last edited by Mark1T; 12-04-2023 at 06:27 AM.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Caught this Red Fox at a corn feeder a week or so ago.
    That looks like my feeder. 650 pound capacity.

Last edited by paulinkansas; 12-04-2023 at 08:05 AM.
    Current rankings

Paul, as much as it pains me to admit, your is bigger than mine

You hunt White Tails? Anything else come there?

I see the wild turkeys. Amazing. We don't have those down here

Pretty land.

Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Caught this Red Fox at a corn feeder a week or so ago. Striking color:
    Cool.

We had a big fluffy one in our backyard Saturday morn. He was less red than that one or most we see. My wife said "he's a fat boy".

It was a Boar (male) Hog. Probably a little over 100lbs. I have seen 300lb+. I just used my 30/30, placed right in the neck. If you shoot a hog in the shoulder, it will still run 100 yards plus and odds are you won't find them. They are tanks. Neck and head shots put them down but still ran 20 yards.

Nice Mark, appreciate the info, nice shooting. The old 30/30 put a lot of meat on the table over the years.

My old Trapping Partner that's what he carried and used exclusively and boy could he shoot it.

Nice shot of the fox..

Great story Paul, I know you have more, lol. That's quite a poke with a Muzzleloader, you must be pretty proficient with it. My buddy was right into the speed goats and in the last decade before he croaked he got into bow hunting them. That boy could put the sneak on anything.

We were moose hunting one time, headed into our stands, as we crossed this bog a young bull stepped out about 1500 yards away and bedded down. We were in the open and no way of getting around it through the bush without making a racket and losing the wind. He asked what I wanted to do, I didn't want to push it and wanted to wait until it got up then try and call it in. he wanted to stalk it. We flipped a coin, he won. I sat back on the ridge and watched him belly crawl through sh!t I wouldn't even consider. It took him over 2 hours to close that distance and I lost sight of him for most of it.

I knew he had to be close but hadn't seen him in quite a while so I just watched where the moose was. Eventually I saw him stand up and draw. The moose stood up and he let the arrow go.

The moose ran about 50 yards into the bush and went tits up. He got within 12 yards of that bedded moose, he was soaking wet, covered in mud but he got that shot. It was something only other hunters can truly appreciate and wast incredible things to witness.

He said he was within 40 yards for over an hour but the moose wasn't sleeping, it was just bedded, chewing it's cud and could only move when the moose had it's head turned enough not to be seen in it's peripheral.

He was a sniper for 20 years so I think that may have given him an edge on concealment and the patience to go through such sh!t to make that kill.

I have never hunted antelope with him but I have eaten it but only after it was bottled. He would bring me a case when he visited. It was good. I wouldn’t trade it for moose or bear but I certainly wouldn’t spit it out either. Lol

Spent a few more hours riding the ATV/Snowmobile trails on the bike this morning.. They aren't groomed yet (not enough snow) and mostly ATV's on the go so I am riding in the ATV track that I laid down the other day.

Those tires on the E-bike absolutely love the snow and grab real well, that was something I was apprehensive about. I am loving the snow riding, it’s way more comfortable and faster than running the same trails without snow, I knew this would be the case, just didn’t expect it to be this good.

Another apprehension I have is how the battery will perform in the cold. It was 14 degrees this morning and I went for almost 2 hours and from my guesstimate there isn’t any difference so far. I am using a neoprene cover for the battery which may be helping, I don’t know. I ordered another one and will be doubling up on it for the colder temps.

We have literally 1000’s of miles of groomed snowmobile trails and I have access to them from the back of my place. I can’t wait to get a few feet of snow and get the winter started.

Only 27 days until the trout opener for the 2024 ice fishing season. Can’t wait for that either.

Have a great day in the outdoors fukkers.

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    These are my go to's for that and these work for me at -40 and rated for a lot more..

Do you go to the rodeo when it's 40 below?

Paul, as much as it pains me to admit, your is bigger than mine

You hunt White Tails? Anything else come there?

I see the wild turkeys. Amazing. We don't have those down here

Pretty land.
    I just shoot the deer with a trail camera. Deer, coons, squirrels, doves and Canada geese all come to it. I shoot them all with a trail camera. The coons climb the ladder and try to open the lid. I see their muddy footprints on the side of the hopper.

But when crows or starlings come to the feeder I shoot them with my 10 gauge with 2.25 ounce reloads of #6 lead. The most starlings I dropped in one shot was about 15.

Sometimes a hawk sits at the platform at the top of the ladder and waits to ambush whatever shows up under the feeder.
    Current rankings

Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    Do you go to the rodeo when it's 40 below?

LMAO Charles, never been to a Rodeo in my life.

But that song is one of my favorites, used to play it in my CJ back in the day.. cranked with the top off so everyone got to listen to it..

Thanks for rekindling the memories lol

MT, I enjoyed that sniper friend story. That is so cool. It's one challenge to use a bow in the first place and be in a tree or ground stand. But, a whole new adventure to drag a bow on your belly for a few hours for the true thrill of the hunt. I guess you had to help him haul that moose out of there, though, right?

Where I am I love the 30/30 because 100 to 200 yards is about the maximum down here. I like the 30/30 because it reminds me of a 308's baby sister and under 200 yards, the 30/30 has good mass and kinetic energy.

My friends have 6.5, 7.62, 7mm, 270, 30/06, 308, 338, 243 and those are great guns, but to me, they are over-kill. Biggest White Tail is probably 130 to 145. Even if you go to a hunting ranch here and hunt Axis for example, my 30/30 will do it just fine. Unless, the hunter needed some good distance for a shot. You can't get much better than your 300 WM. That and the 338 are great guns.

I just shoot the deer with a trail camera. Deer, coons, squirrels, doves and Canada geese all come to it. I shoot them all with a trail camera. The coons climb the ladder and try to open the lid. I see their muddy footprints on the side of the hopper.

But when crows or starlings come to the feeder I shoot them with my 10 gauge with 2.25 ounce reloads of #6 lead. The most starlings I dropped in one shot was about 15.

Sometimes a hawk sits at the platform at the top of the ladder and waits to ambush whatever shows up under the feeder.
    Mostly the same here, but not geese. I have seen some gorgeous geese on our lake a couple months ago. We get Mallards, but more Wood Ducks.

Those raccoons are so adaptable and smart. They are everywhere in every climate and they are survivors. Also, omnivores. I made friends with an injured one last year. But, I think a predator got it finally. It would come right up to me.

LOL on the crows and starlings. 10 gauge? Big gun. I use a 12 gauge, but I could use a 10 gauge for beaver at night. #6 shot is right there between buck shot and bird shot, so you have mass and multiple shot to get those birds.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nothing to report lately

One of my sons and I try to get at least one weekend back country hike in the fall.

Couple of ski trips a year maybe.

Summer of 2022 we did 170km hike through the Alps (TMB) 30000ft elevation gain over 10 days.

We are in the process of planning a Namibia desert road trip. You rent these outfitted Toyota camper trucks and drive through the desert across parts of the Kalahari desert, the Skeleton coast etc. Its like 2 weeks of some serious isolation. This is one we are going to do if I retire within the next 2-3 years.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

Those raccoons are so adaptable and smart.
    The raccoons got into my car. The T-tops were out of my Vette and I saw a bunch of paw prints on the leather seats.

Got to hunt some doves in a high fence game ranch a few weeks ago. There were a bunch of these roaming around the place.

Current rankings

The guns on the left and right are tranquilizer guns. Tranquilizer darts are at the base of the gun on the left. Yes, they are very much DEA controlled.

Current rankings

Paul, those Rams are awesome. Nice guns.

So, I guess the question is, what the heck do you shoot tranquilizer darts with? You have Lions up there? Bears? Mountain Lions?

Obviously you have a problem with something. If you get a call from the Kansas Mounties, it wasn't me.
    Last edited by Mark1T; 12-04-2023 at 07:00 PM.

I guess you had to help him haul that moose out of there, though, right?

Where I am I love the 30/30 because 100 to 200 yards is about the maximum down here. I like the 30/30 because it reminds me of a 308's baby sister and under 200 yards, the 30/30 has good mass and kinetic energy.

My friends have 6.5, 7.62, 7mm, 270, 30/06, 308, 338, 243 and those are great guns, but to me, they are over-kill. Biggest White Tail is probably 130 to 145. Even if you go to a hunting ranch here and hunt Axis for example, my 30/30 will do it just fine. Unless, the hunter needed some good distance for a shot. You can't get much better than your 300 WM. That and the 338 are great guns.

Oh yes, it took us 2 days to get that animal out, we always go 50/50 on everything, the work and the meat, it doesn't matter who pulls the trigger, it's all about meat in the freezer.

You are very knowledgeable on weapons Mark.

Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    Nothing to report lately

One of my sons and I try to get at least one weekend back country hike in the fall.

Couple of ski trips a year maybe.

Summer of 2022 we did 170km hike through the Alps (TMB) 30000ft elevation gain over 10 days.

We are in the process of planning a Namibia desert road trip. You rent these outfitted Toyota camper trucks and drive through the desert across parts of the Kalahari desert, the Skeleton coast etc. Its like 2 weeks of some serious isolation. This is one we are going to do if I retire within the next 2-3 years.
    You have some great plans CPW, I recall the story when you and your son went on that hike a while back..

That Kalahari desert expedition sounds absolutely amazing... As long as there were no snakes, Pockets don't do snakes, not ever rubber ones or dead ones. ha ha..

Good luck with youre retirement plans

What the fuk is a JawJacker?

It’s an ice fishing gadget..

In our area you are allowed 2 lines while ice fishing. Jigging is what I do most, I usually cut a few holes and move around jigging them. It’s what I Love to do, Moving my stool around increases my odds and changes the scenery a bit.

I also set a dead stick (non jigging) rod in another hole. Generally, I get most of my catches on the jigging rod and only about 20% on the dead stick unless I have it moving, I use the wind a lot to do this. I many set ups to fill the dead stick role depending on the weather, species of time of year.

A few years ago I added a JawJacker to my arsenal, it’s main role is when the fish hits the bait recoil from the rod will set the hook. It works quite well, probably getting about a 70 - 80% hook set rate on Lake trout. So this is one in the video below.

The main issue with this is that I don't use live bait, so the bait I am using just sits there and not much to attract the fish in. But it does get hits occasionally.

They also make a base for them that has a small electric motor that runs on 3 AA batteries and surprisingly, they last for several trips. This is the base and I have added it to my arsenal for this year.

Well that's my rambling for this morning. Workout is done, breakfast down my neck and it's time to make tracks... You fukkers have a great day and I'll talk at ya when I am older.