weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question (scoliosis) High rep squats and deadlifts

Can someone please convince me that doing high reps of squats and deadlifts beats any other substitute?

So before you say I'm a pussy and tell me to squat and deadlift; due to my scoliosis I cannot focus on getting stronger in these two lifts and my goal isn't to become stronger, just being fit and healthy anyway.

I know legs can take way more repetitions than say chest, and I've heard people pump some real wheels doing high rep squats.
    So I assume the remaining question is whether it's worth doing deadlifts for high reps, I'm talking very light and controlled reps.
    I'm not looking for a christmas tree but having a flat lower back on a decent built upper back would just look weird.
    <Anxiety Crew>

Bodybuilding motivation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTBZCr0EuhY

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What do you mean by high reps? Scoliosis aside, it sounds like you should follow a program that has sets and reps laid out.

I can't speak to the impact of Scoliosis on your capability to train. What did your doctor say when you discussed this with them?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One doctor said do other exercises and another said I should almost be around the endurance threshold in terms of reps. So if I recall correctly 15-25 was a good number.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    What do you mean by high reps? Scoliosis aside, it sounds like you should follow a program that has sets and reps laid out.

I can't speak to the impact of Scoliosis on your capability to train. What did your doctor say when you discussed this with them?
    <Anxiety Crew>

Bodybuilding motivation

Thumbs up So I tried this..

Instead of blowing my back on deadlift as the first exercise on back and biceps day, I tried bb row, dbl row before doing 3x15 sumo deadlift and this allowed me to get way better contact on all 3 exercises.
    Kinda walking on clouds. I still did the deadlifts with same weight that I used on bb row and it feels good.

Maybe that's what my body needed, sad there's no input to the original question
    <Anxiety Crew>

Bodybuilding motivation

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You just need to progressively overload... you don't necessarily need to worry about adding more weight to the bar. You can simply add sets, add reps, do intensity techniques, pre-exhaust, whatever. I would say high rep deadlifts are a bit risky due to form breakdown. Swings done for high reps are a much better hinge option.

Realistically, a leg workout of goblet squats, swings, and bodyweight lunges will definitely be enough for the average joe not looking to step on a bodybuilding stage or powerlifting platform.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by weppe View Post
    One doctor said do other exercises and another said I should almost be around the endurance threshold in terms of reps. So if I recall correctly 15-25 was a good number.
    Agreed with the above advice that you can skip barbell squats and deads altogether. 15-25 reps is probably a good target range for goblet squats, lunges, etc. If you are going to do heavy compounds, doing 15-25 reps is probably going to become more mentally taxing than physically taxing and you won't lift heavy enough to see real benefit. I'd probably shoot for sets of 5 for deads and 8-10 for squats, but your program would dictate if you followed one.
    Last edited by radrd; 11-10-2023 at 06:12 AM.

Thetoplesschef is not very well liked. (-100) Thetoplesschef is not very well liked. (-100) Thetoplesschef is not very well liked. (-100) Thetoplesschef is not very well liked. (-100) Thetoplesschef is not very well liked. (-100) Thetoplesschef is not very well liked. (-100) Thetoplesschef is not very well liked. (-100) Thetoplesschef is not very well liked. (-100) Thetoplesschef is not very well liked. (-100) Thetoplesschef is not very well liked. (-100) Thetoplesschef is not very well liked. (-100)
    Squats and DL can't be beaten as the best exercises but if you have back issues then do more isolation exercises like leg extensions and curls? I'm not an expert on scoliosis and how squats and DL affect you. How about leg press since it takes the spine out of the picture?

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Agreed with the above advice that you can skip barbell squats and deads altogether. 15-25 reps is probably a good target range for goblet squats, lunges, etc. If you are going to do heavy compounds, doing 15-25 reps is probably going to become more mentally taxing than physically taxing and you won't lift heavy enough to see real benefit. I'd probably shoot for sets of 5 for deads and 8-10 for squats, but your program would dictate if you followed one.
    8-10 sets of squats?
    <Anxiety Crew>

Bodybuilding motivation

Originally Posted by Thetoplesschef View Post
    Squats and DL can't be beaten as the best exercises but if you have back issues then do more isolation exercises like leg extensions and curls? I'm not an expert on scoliosis and how squats and DL affect you. How about leg press since it takes the spine out of the picture?
    I can do squats and deadlifts it's just a matter of how heavy. But I feel like missing out on them would just be bad. I'm pretty sure higher reps would be better than isolation exercises.
    Like someone above said just slowly add some form of progression.

I don't like doing isolation exercises on legs either but it will probably be veery nessecary unless like 8 sets of 20 reps won't fry my nervous system 😂

Think I'm gonna have to figure this one out by myself at the end of the day.

My program is nearly tweaked to fit my equipment and preferences so on Monday it's do or die haha hopefully I respond well.
    <Anxiety Crew>

Bodybuilding motivation

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can do squats and deadlifts it's just a matter of how heavy. But I feel like missing out on them would just be bad. I'm pretty sure higher reps would be better than isolation exercises.
    Like someone above said just slowly add some form of progression.

I don't like doing isolation exercises on legs either but it will probably be veery nessecary unless like 8 sets of 20 reps won't fry my nervous system 😂

Think I'm gonna have to figure this one out by myself at the end of the day.

My program is nearly tweaked to fit my equipment and preferences so on Monday it's do or die haha hopefully I respond well.
    soon you will realize, high reps work wonderfully for legs. No worries there, you will build muscle. Even if squats and deadlifts were not available to you, due to your condition, there is nothing wrong with substituting those two.

Overall this whole idea of these two being magic moves, has no foundation, just an opinion. Like everything else in body building, intensity, level of exhaustion, honesty of your effort is the ley. Not any specific exercise or magic number of reps.

Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    soon you will realize, high reps work wonderfully for legs. No worries there, you will build muscle. Even if squats and deadlifts were not available to you, due to your condition, there is nothing wrong with substituting those two.

Overall this whole idea of these two being magic moves, has no foundation, just an opinion. Like everything else in body building, intensity, level of exhaustion, honesty of your effort is the ley. Not any specific exercise or magic number of reps.
    I think I'm gonna do both lifts just not going to max and going to failure etc.
    10 years ago I made great progress without using neither of the exercises in my progress.

I'm just trying to ball around whether deadlifts should be included or not, regardless of the weight
    <Anxiety Crew>

Bodybuilding motivation

8-10 sets of squats?
    Sets of 8-10 reps.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    One doctor said
    Don't listen to what a doctor says. Listen to what your body says. My dad is a doctor. So is my mom. So is my mom's brother. And my dad's dad. And 2 of my dads brothers. And 4 of my dad's brothers kids (my cousins). My dad's advice was not to bench press more than 50 pounds. That would be legit advice if I was like in 4th grade.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparro
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossu
    SuicideGripMe: Falco
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Wease
    Stefo9: Fert
    Camarja: Raccon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    my goal isn't to become stronger, just being fit and healthy anyway.
    If this is your goal, why does it matter how you go about doing squats & deadlifts?

erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try the leg press.

erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    If this is your goal, why does it matter how you go about doing squats & deadlifts?
    He wants to figure out a way to squat and deadlift without destroying his spine. He's wondering if it's worth it to pursue high-rep squats and deadlifts to build muscle, or if he should choose some other alternative.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by erigni View Post
    He wants to figure out a way to squat and deadlift without destroying his spine. He's wondering if it's worth it to pursue high-rep squats and deadlifts to build muscle, or if he should choose some other alternative.
    Your translation is the opposite of the goals stated in OPs quote to which I was responding.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm not saying you should ignore your doctors, but I am pointing this out as a curiosity; there was one very famous world-class deadlifter with severe scoliosis named "Lamar Gant". It may be interesting to bring this example up to your doctors and ask why you are different.

You definitely do not need to do squats/deadlifts to be fit and healthy. Leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls, lunges, bulgarian split squats, hyperextensions, etc all would be fine for general health purposes if you are allowed to do them.
    My 100% free website: healthierwithscience.com
    My YouTube channel: youtube.com/@benjaminlevinsonmd17

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I could make it work.