pbjcheese is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Exercises for back muscle imbalance?

Hello, recently I've been trying to focus more on my back for various strength goals (more pullups, etc.) and also just because I was lacking a bit. However, it only made it more apparent that I have a muscle imbalance in what looks to be my traps and lats, with my right side being bigger than my left. One thing is that I've always felt a stronger mind-muscle connection with my right side, being able to move my muscles intuitively in ways I kind of had to learn to do on my left. Because of this, I'm not sure if I am simple not flexing right or if my left side is smaller (though I think it does feel weaker when I'm lifting). Anyways, to get to the point, should I just do a lot of single arm exercises and see how that goes (rows, pulldowns...)? Or will my left side catch up if I keep doing what I'm doing? Currently I'm doing: weighted pull-ups, neutral grip pull-ups, and chest-supported rows on the machine.
    Attached Images

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    All my dumb bell lifts on the left side of my body are stronger. I can do more reps on my left side than on my right side. Women that I date tell me that my left testicle is larger than my right.

I think the same thing applies to women. I was at a party and ended up in the bathroom with 3 women. They wanted to know how their boobs felt. So one would take of her shirt and I could feel them from behind. I would make a judgement call as to which one was bigger or if they were the same size.

It was really weird a year later because I was hunting ducks with 2 of those women's husbands.
    Furnishe renal houses in Coffeyville Kasas. Washer/dryer, full kitchen, cable/wifi, all bills paid. Welders, fiters, boilermakers, electricians, inspectors for the refinery, soybea plant, bio diesel plant, pipeline and animal food plant conractors.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You have genetically asymmetrical muscle insertions between your left and right back. I’m pretty sure you’re seeing that more than a slight difference in muscle size.

For your back based on what I’m seeing, you should focus more on a couple of progressively heavier row variations over pull-ups. Plus I have a feeling that you don’t do any heavy squat or deadlift variations, which will actually supplement your direct back work.

pbjcheese is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You have genetically asymmetrical muscle insertions between your left and right back. I’m pretty sure you’re seeing that more than a slight difference in muscle size.

For your back based on what I’m seeing, you should focus more on a couple of progressively heavier row variations over pull-ups. Plus I have a feeling that you don’t do any heavy squat or deadlift variations, which will actually supplement your direct back work.

I don't really know the difference between asymmetric muscle insertions and plain differently sized muscles, so I'll have to check that out. Focusing on heavier rows is fair, though my main goal at the moment is to be able to do some of the harder pull-up variations...still though, I might swap something around for another row variation. Are there any you like the most?

On the point on squatting and deadlifting-true. I did rowing through all 4 years of highschool, so I'm pretty comfortable with the size of my legs. As such, I changed my routine to only have 1 leg day a week (I do Monday-Friday Pull/push/leg/pull/push). However, I haven't been squatting very often since my hip tendonitis has been flaring up pretty bad recently, but I'm working on getting that dealt with. I originally had deadlifting on my pull days before weighted pull-ups (3x5 heavy on monday, 3x3 mid weight on thursday), but I felt too fatigued and took them out.

My hip has been better in the past few weeks, so I'm planning to work back up to squatting heavy again, though I'm still not sure where to fit deadlifting in. Any thoughts?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pbjcheese View Post
    I don't really know the difference between asymmetric muscle insertions and plain differently sized muscles, so I'll have to check that out.
    You can’t do anything about your muscle insertions, although you can make differences in them seem less noticeable as your muscles grow in size.

Focusing on heavier rows is fair, though my main goal at the moment is to be able to do some of the harder pull-up variations...still though, I might swap something around for another row variation. Are there any you like the most?
    Silly me, I thought your thread was about a perceived back muscle imbalance. No recommendations here as it seems like you’re content to keep doing what you’re doing.

On the point on squatting and deadlifting-true. I did rowing through all 4 years of highschool, so I'm pretty comfortable with the size of my legs. As such, I changed my routine to only have 1 leg day a week (I do Monday-Friday Pull/push/leg/pull/push). However, I haven't been squatting very often since my hip tendonitis has been flaring up pretty bad recently, but I'm working on getting that dealt with. I originally had deadlifting on my pull days before weighted pull-ups (3x5 heavy on monday, 3x3 mid weight on thursday), but I felt too fatigued and took them out.

My hip has been better in the past few weeks, so I'm planning to work back up to squatting heavy again, though I'm still not sure where to fit deadlifting in. Any thoughts?
    If you’re happy with your leg size since you rowed in high school, no thoughts here. I simply pointed out what looked like another deficiency in your training due to aspects of your back development. Good luck!

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Women that I date tell me that my left testicle is larger than my right.

I think the same thing applies to women. I was at a party and ended up in the bathroom with 3 women. They wanted to know how their boobs felt. So one would take of her shirt and I could feel them from behind. I would make a judgement call as to which one was bigger or if they were the same size.
    A guy goes to a doctor
    - Doc, I have a big problem. My left testicle is bigger than the right one.
    - That's not unusual at all, many men have this problem, don't worry.
    - No, no, no, you don't understand. My left testicle is much, much bigger than the right one.
    - OK, show me!
    - No, no, you will laugh.
    - I've been a doctor for 30 years, I have seen everything, come on, show me!
    The guy takes out a huge testicle, the size of an orange.
    The doctor starts laughing and laughing and laughing.
    The guy gets really mad and tell the doctor:
    - I told you you will laugh. Now there is no way in hell I will show you my bigger testicle.

So you felt each one's boobs, while the other women watched? Were you blind folded, so you couldn't tell who was who?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Plus I have a feeling that you don’t do any heavy squat or deadlift variations
    Now and then, I read about "heavy squat or deadlift"
    What is heavy?
    <3 reps?
    <6 reps?
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    What is heavy?
    <3 reps?
    <6 reps?
    Either/or, you & your core/back know when what you're lifting is "heavy"... or if you're not at an intermediate stage yet, at least challenging yourself to the point where you continue to progress on those lifts until you reach a respectable lift for your size when progress begins to slow.

It's not really about rep range specifically. Many people in commercial gyms are just going through the motions on squat/DL regardless of rep range.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    So you felt each one's boobs, while the other women watched? Were you blind folded, so you couldn't tell who was who?
    Those 3 women were nurses that I hung around with, they weren't strangers. I stood behind each one while they took their top off, then reached around and felt their boobs. Wasn't able to see them, just feel them. Melissa's left boob was a bigger D than her right. Tiffany and Michelle had symetrical C cups. Michelle's nipples were sticking out.
    Furnishe renal houses in Coffeyville Kasas. Washer/dryer, full kitchen, cable/wifi, all bills paid. Welders, fiters, boilermakers, electricians, inspectors for the refinery, soybea plant, bio diesel plant, pipeline and animal food plant conractors.

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What is heavy?
    <3 reps?
    <6 reps?
    I would never do heavy deadlifts other than singles. Just begging to get injured.

what is 'heavy? I'd say 85-90% of 1 RM.
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It’s not genetics or insertions, it’s a matter of posture. Lifting weights doesn’t address it, it’s mainly about stretching and flexing the area articulately.