Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: >35 car thread

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Very exciting for him. Congrats.
    Thanks @flex. We are 7 days out! I feel very lucky in life in so many ways. I used to joke that I would not change anything about my life if I won the lottery. But depending on how this goes, I may unfortunately have to change that tune. Unfortunately, racing is fueled not by race fuel, but rather money. In lower levels it is almost 100% parental support that pays the ways.

Even in just high level karting, they are spending 100k / year. Moving into formula that more than doubles (not including travel and misc). I dont know that we can justify going there, but there is a part of me that would sell every toy I have and quit my driving if it meant he could do this. Probably early to go to that point in your brain, but as parents it is what we do. Watching our kids go on to best us is the most rewarding thing I know. I am more proud of that than anything. (sorry if proud parent is showing through a little too much).
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    very cool

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    Thanks @flex. We are 7 days out! I feel very lucky in life in so many ways. I used to joke that I would not change anything about my life if I won the lottery. But depending on how this goes, I may unfortunately have to change that tune. Unfortunately, racing is fueled not by race fuel, but rather money. In lower levels it is almost 100% parental support that pays the ways.

Even in just high level karting, they are spending 100k / year. Moving into formula that more than doubles (not including travel and misc). I dont know that we can justify going there, but there is a part of me that would sell every toy I have and quit my driving if it meant he could do this. Probably early to go to that point in your brain, but as parents it is what we do. Watching our kids go on to best us is the most rewarding thing I know. I am more proud of that than anything. (sorry if proud parent is showing through a little too much).
    But you're rich tho:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=184255583
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    What a bunch of stupid sh!t that is. People focus on all the wrong things. But thanks for the defense. I only really did major work on the R8 (because I had to with the trans going out and they wanted a 15k repair bill). But yes, I hope to buy smartly. I cant imagine anyone who like throwing money away. I did change coils and plugs on the McLaren, only because the dealership wanted $7500 and I like working on cars if you cant tell.

Just like this thread is about, I enjoy all aspects of car ownership. I may actually like working on them, especially building them, more. Just always liked doing things myself...
    RAW lifts

Proud dad update . Yesterday was my sons F4 test day. Really awesome day and weather was great. It was in the 50's in the am, so had to wait for the sun to warm the track up a bit so you can get heat in the tires, but from 11am on it was perfect weather hitting 68 for the day.

Such a cool experience for him. His coach was awesome and really incrementally introduced him to the car and it's limits. Each session setting areas to work on. The brakes of these cars and their ability to carry speed through corners is where you make time in these cars. The braking curve and how you manipulate it, is huge. There is no abs etc so you have to be careful not to 'flat spot' tires. The way you brake in these cars is initially you go right to peak brake force while you still have downforce and then you back off incrementally as momentum slows and grip drops. It is quite a thing and the data tells all in these.

He did 10 sessions in all. (quite a long day). By his 3rd session he had peak force dialed in and then he was tasked with finding cornering limits and carrying max speed through corners. He built up the confidence in the car. Found the limit with one spin early on, but after that was really getting the feel. By 4th session, he was holding wide open flat for a turn called the 'kink'. It is one of the fastest parts of the track and a turn you have to lift and brake for in a 'normal' car. The downforce produced by the formula car means you can take the turn wide-open without lifting because of the downforce and grip being generated. The shop owner said this is the hardest part to get people to do. Many people just cant get their brain to allow them past this point. Everything is telling you the car wont make it, but you just trust in the grip of the car.

It was a really cool day. The vice pres in charge of Ligier USA was there which I was not expecting. Kind of upped the pressure but he was very nice. There was one other driver testing. She has 5+ years full race experience and is a co driver for Randy Pobst in some of his cars. If you know cars, you have seen Randy Pobst. One of the most prolific road course drivers around. Nether my son or her had ever been in a formula car before. They ran sessions and for the last 2, after they had feel for the cars, they put on new tires and were told to go out for some push laps.

The insane thing, my son beat her by best times by 3/10. His theoretical best, (taking the best parts of all his laps) put him on a competitive pace for the series. Which is totally insane for first time ever driving a downforce car.

A lot left to process and not really sure where to go from this point. He really does have something and a skill which is innate, yet totally coachable. With the coaches guidance, he just got in the car and made the adjustments and was right there. The combination of many things make success in this sport. Talent is one, but coachability is another. Unfortunately, also very big on this, is a price tag and money to fuel this pursuit.

Not in any huge rush, but really going to have to re-evaluate what options there are. I have told my wife. I will sell all my toys and let him pursue a dream, but we are not quite at that point yet. The team owner said he wanted to go over some more data and was going to follow up with me but he had interest in possibly developing him.

Short little vid of him learning to take the braking late and deep. To give you an idea difference in the braking ability of these, in our track car, we need to start braking 100+ feet earlier to make the first corner.

RAW lifts

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have a 4.7l 8 cyl Jeep Grand Cherokee, I thought the headgasket was blown as when I had the oil changed, there was apparently coolant in it. White smoke at startup, but runs and drives fine, no contaminated oil on dipstick and I know what milky oil from a blown headgasket looks like.

Guy is telling me it's more likely the intake gasket, which is a much easier job. Thoughts?

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I have a 4.7l 8 cyl Jeep Grand Cherokee, I thought the headgasket was blown as when I had the oil changed, there was apparently coolant in it. White smoke at startup, but runs and drives fine, no contaminated oil on dipstick and I know what milky oil from a blown headgasket looks like.

Guy is telling me it's more likely the intake gasket, which is a much easier job. Thoughts?
    Could you put some head gasket sealant in the radiator? 10 bucks. If it doesn't work, it didn't work.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparo
    TolerntLacoe: Oosum
    Faithbra: Opossu
    SuicidGripMe: Falco
    Mpocket: Owl
    Air2Fak: Wease
    Steo9: Fert
    Caarja: Raccon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Pauinanas: Coyot
    Sals: Wlf

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Could you put some head gasket sealant in the radiator? 10 bucks. If it doesn't work, it didn't work.
    I could, but 50% of the people on Youtube says it will work and 50% say it will clog your cooling system, not really liking those odds.

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Well, I pulled the trigger on my Camshaft upgrade. Should get it in the shop in early November. This should get me to 500+ RWHP, but if not, it's all good.

She's going to sound bad a$$! I love that lope/chop sound!

Here's the list of parts:

DOD Delete Package:
    • CBI DOD Conversion Plug Set
    • BTR Head Bolt Kit
    • BTR LT1 Head Gasket (X2)
    • Chevrolet Performance LS7 Lifter Set
    • BTR Lifter Tray (X4)
    • Chevrolet Performance Valve Cover Gasket (X2)
    • Chevrolet Performance Valley Cover Gasket
    • MSD Spark Plug Wire Set

Camshaft Package:
    • BTR Gen V 225 Camshaft w/ 32% Fuel Lobe (225/24X, .644/.644,113 LSA)
    • BTR Gen V LT1 Platinum Spring Kit
    • BTR Chromoly Pushrod Set
    • BTR Gen V LT VVT Phaser Lockout

BTR Camshaft Bolt
    Chevrolet Performance Water Pump Gasket
    Chevrolet Performance Timing Cover Damper Seal
    NGK Spark Plug
    Chevrolet Performance Wet Sump Crank Bolt

Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oil (Quart)
    Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oil Filter
    AC-Delco DexCool Coolant (Gallon)

Installation of Engine Components:

Custom Street Tune via HP Tuner's (Retune)
    LS/LT Bronze Bushing Rocker Arm Trunnion Upgrade Kit
    - Installation

Should sound like this:

BJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BJoe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No clue on the 4.7l, spent a little time wrenching on 4.0l I-6, even the 3.6l in my 200, but nothing on the 4.7l.

clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Call me odd, but I'm as passionate about cars as anyone but I've never been particularly interested in performance cars. I'm more a classic car person, give me a stylish 1960's saloon that I can potter about in and attend classic cars shows and I'm a happy person. All that noise, speed and aggression is actually a turn off!
    My two classics, love them so much!

Tennis balls?...........my Biceps are as big as Grapefruits!

In after Monty Python

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by clive View Post
    Call me odd, but I'm as passionate about cars as anyone but I've never been particularly interested in performance cars. I'm more a classic car person, give me a stylish 1960's saloon that I can potter about in and attend classic cars shows and I'm a happy person. All that noise, speed and aggression is actually a turn off!

Wow Clive, those are on perfect show condition! Not a spec on them. Especially liking the Rover

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Went to my storage location today to swap cars.
    Z06 stored for the winter.
    SRT out for winter duty.
    It's been parked since April. Fired right up:

Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Originally Posted by bustasinclair View Post
    Well, I pulled the trigger on my Camshaft upgrade. Should get it in the shop in early November. This should get me to 500+ RWHP, but if not, it's all good.

She's going to sound bad a$$! I love that lope/chop sound!

Cool. The LS platform is such a nice one to mod! 500whp is nothing to sneeze at!

Originally Posted by clive View Post
    That is cool too! I can see the draw and some cars from back then had so much in the way of style. Certainly something that can be appreciated!

SRT out for winter duty.
    Move someplace warmer and drive year round Keep the boat parked .

We had a 2 day event end of last week. Such a good time. Great track to run and we had 15 guys, 3 were pro drivers. Open track all day for 2 days. The pro drivers had a mini race with a Lambo GT3 Squadra Corsa vs a Ginetta GT4 w/ LS power. The lambo had 15mph on the Ginetta, but the driver of the Ginetta had HUGE balls and dove outside on turn one (off camber) and stayed ahead for 2 laps.

My son has grown so fast in cars that I cant even come close to him any more. He ran a time faster than any other car besides the GT3 and GT4 cars with pro drivers. We are on old tires here with 25+ heat cycles so they are roached. He has no problem driving it to the grip, holding 1.7g in corners and even peaking at a 2g turn in the car. Nice to be young and brave. But he is comfortable and relaxed riding that edge if you watch his wheel there are many small corrections he is constantly pushing the envelope of grip. He was a full 5 seconds faster than I was. Makes me look like I was driving a station wagon.

For me, pushing anything above 1.3 g in a corner starts to make me uneasy. That is still outside the envelope you can hit on a 'sports car', but our Lotus has true race car type grip and I have not been able to make the adjustment to feel comfortable using it.

In our other car that I built the motor for, my son went backwards at 140 coming into a braking zone and luckily ended up in sand trap but we both realized our brakes are too aggressive in that car. BOTH cars are ditching the boosted brakes this winter and we will go dual non-boosted master cylinders in each car so we can tune the brakes.

So much fun, and the little silver car where I built the motor is a BEAST. Approx 430 hp in a 1900lb car w/ a sequential. Little vid of my son giving me a ride in it and he scared the sh!t out of me how hard he was willing to corner that as well! He had us 4 wheel drifting though a few corners with tire smoke coming in the windows at almost 100 to show off for me a bit. Just wow and the envelope that exists for those who can drive it.

Oh yea....we busted the transmission in the red car on day 2 end of the day. So I have a spare built one that came with the car. Now I have to do a trans swap on it! Car already jacked and in place ready to strip!

little fly by

My son giving me a ride

His best lap. Look at the g's he is pulling and those are old tires!

Pro drivers going at it in GT3/GT4 cars.

RAW lifts

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Lightweight Lotus with a good amount of HP is scary ride, same thing Alfa does with the C4.
    Finally got my lift installed, makes life so much easier.
    Attached Images
    "You know that little thing in your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't? Yeah, well, I don't have one of those."

Originally Posted by Corbi View Post
    Lightweight Lotus with a good amount of HP is scary ride, same thing Alfa does with the C4.
    NICE shop and well set up! Jelly of the space. Forgot you ride bikes still too! More balls than me Good to see you still around and hope all is well.
    RAW lifts

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    SRT out for winter duty.
    Sweet! Nice to have two beasts to drive!

Originally Posted by Corbi View Post
    Nice setup! And nice rides! Done anything to the Cadillac since you bought it?

NICE shop and well set up!
    Just quoted you to say that I dig all of your racing posts and look forward to them; just don't have the vocabulary or the tech savvy to say much beyond, "Kick a$$ dude!"

Well, I pulled the trigger on my Camshaft upgrade.
    Dropping off the car on Saturday and will likely pick up on Wednesday next week.

There is a ceramic coating shop next door to the performance shop that I've used in the past and I coordinated a refresh on my coating so when I pick it up, it should be ready for pics and vids.

Sounds silly, but I have wanted a cammed Corvette since I was 25 years old. Can't believe the day is almost here! Now I need to work on my performance driving skills of which I have none, lol.

So life is crazy and unpredictable. My son is taking his shot at becoming a pro driver. As stupid as that sounds and even I agree, yes. I have been told by quite a few people that my son has real talent. People with nothing to gain. Pro drivers, coaches, and friends who have been a part of motorsport for many years. All say the same thing. There is real talent there.

The challenge to doing anything in racing it attaining your racing license. This is a graduated program where you start with novice, then compete regionally as a proving ground and then go back to school to try for your full comp license. This is not an issue as most kids come up through karting and they progress over the years to this point.

My son has not taken the conventional path, and I never set out to get him in motorsports. I cant justify spending 100k+ to go that route and at this point it is too late for him at 16 to have any real shot. I was given advice to see if he can go right to his full comp rating. There are exceptions and sign-offs that can be done in certain cases, it is just not the norm.

So I sent his F4 test and some of his driving vids out to the schools last night and this morning, two of the top schools responded back that after watching his driving, they will advance him right to the top level amateur license. So he goes for a 2-day intensive testing/instruction and if he passes, he will be signed off to race at the national level. So on Sunday we are packing up and headed 10 hours for him to go to racing school.

This whole thing is NUTS and nothing I ever predicted. But as a parent, I have to give him the shot. It is never anything I imagined, but I cant deny that he has real talent as people who know this tell me and they have nothing to gain from it.

All this crazy car stuff may actually lead to something..... If all goes well he will come out ready to race nationally and then we will take the next step. I have had some friends express that they would step up and possibly help sponsor if he proves to have the abilities. This is the step to get there. I have been told, if he has the talent, the money will come. At the levels he would be racing, it is 250-350/ season to race. (yes mind blowing) So I am not going to worry about that right now. Just going to give him the shot.

This is kind of like going "D1" in sports. Only step after this is "Pro". Really proud and kind of beside myself as this all is just happening.....
    RAW lifts

So life is crazy and unpredictable. My son is taking his shot at becoming a pro driver. As stupid as that sounds and even I agree, yes. I have been told by quite a few people that my son has real talent. People with nothing to gain. Pro drivers, coaches, and friends who have been a part of motorsport for many years. All say the same thing. There is real talent there.

The challenge to doing anything in racing it attaining your racing license. This is a graduated program where you start with novice, then compete regionally as a proving ground and then go back to school to try for your full comp license. This is not an issue as most kids come up through karting and they progress over the years to this point.

My son has not taken the conventional path, and I never set out to get him in motorsports. I cant justify spending 100k+ to go that route and at this point it is too late for him at 16 to have any real shot. I was given advice to see if he can go right to his full comp rating. There are exceptions and sign-offs that can be done in certain cases, it is just not the norm.

So I sent his F4 test and some of his driving vids out to the schools last night and this morning, two of the top schools responded back that after watching his driving, they will advance him right to the top level amateur license. So he goes for a 2-day intensive testing/instruction and if he passes, he will be signed off to race at the national level. So on Sunday we are packing up and headed 10 hours for him to go to racing school.

This whole thing is NUTS and nothing I ever predicted. But as a parent, I have to give him the shot. It is never anything I imagined, but I cant deny that he has real talent as people who know this tell me and they have nothing to gain from it.

All this crazy car stuff may actually lead to something..... If all goes well he will come out ready to race nationally and then we will take the next step. I have had some friends express that they would step up and possibly help sponsor if he proves to have the abilities. This is the step to get there. I have been told, if he has the talent, the money will come. At the levels he would be racing, it is 250-350/ season to race. (yes mind blowing) So I am not going to worry about that right now. Just going to give him the shot.

This is kind of like going "D1" in sports. Only step after this is "Pro". Really proud and kind of beside myself as this all is just happening.....

This is freaking awesome!!! Congrats and good luck to your son; I'm sure he'll knock it out of the park.

We have a client that has a son that drives professionally, but I cannot remember the series. They spend close to 200K per year on his expenses so yes, it is very expensive!!!

This is freaking awesome!!! Congrats and good luck to your son; I'm sure he'll knock it out of the park.

We have a client that has a son that drives professionally, but I cannot remember the series. They spend close to 200K per year on his expenses so yes, it is very expensive!!!
    Really kind of a crazy thing and NOT at all what I pictured we would ever be doing. But when your kid shows the potential, what can you do as a parent other than give them a shot to follow their passion? We are comfortable in life, but I dont think we could swing many years of floating the full cost. While we might be able to, I would not go into debt to do it. I am willing to give it an honest go. If that means I sell all my toys I am 100% fine with that. I can live with a fast car (although it would take more than selling my car to float what a year down this path will cost). But hell, I drove a mini-van for 11 years and those were the happiest years of my life.

I have been told by those that know, if you show and demonstrate true potential and performance, the money will come. But we will have to make that initial investment and as a parent that is how it should be. I dont expect someone to pay for my kid. But if he shows a team he can bring success, then they step up and sponsors step up and make things happen. There is a part of motorsport where if you bring enough money, you can race. But we have no interest in that. We already are having all the fun anyone could want running cars on track.

Racing will be different. It is his option to see what he has. Worst case, he has great memories of national competition and never makes pro. Then we go back to just enjoying track days with friends. Not a bad downside. Many things in life pop up that are unplanned. It was literally yesterday evening that I sent his data and driving videos out. 3 schools reached out and said they would advance him right to the highest level and skip the 'normal' path. That says a lot since it is their reputation on the line when they give endorsements. They would make more money making him take the lower levels schools and then him having to move the conventional route. So it is really cool to see honesty and passion by some in the sport.

We will know really quickly by wed if he is just a really good driver, or a driver with GREAT potential. He will be driving cars that many pros have driven going up through the ranks. So there will be clear, black and white metrics of what his performance level can be in a car.

As a dad, I am very proud. I am also nervous that he will be entering a sport where people sill get killed. Hard to think about that, but it is a reality. I just want him to be safe and happy but he really wants to do this.
    RAW lifts

I think the coolest thing about this whole story is how you just naturally graduated from one fast car to another and finally wound up on the track where he found his spark. What if you had taken up restoring classic boats or something, he would likely have never found this calling.

I hope once in awhile there's a Reese/Ricky Bobby reference thrown around at your place

I think the coolest thing about this whole story is how you just naturally graduated from one fast car to another and finally wound up on the track where he found his spark. What if you had taken up restoring classic boats or something, he would likely have never found this calling.

I hope once in awhile there's a Reese/Ricky Bobby reference thrown around at your place

Bando I know how you got so much joy with following your son through his pursuits. As you well know, the kids will determine their own path in many ways. Truth is, it is my son that got me back into cars in the first place. When became a pilot, I lost interest in things that were on the ground. My son re-ignited my desire for cars since he was so enthralled with them even as a toddler. Every step along the way it was he and I smiling and enjoying the experiences we had though this. The 'track' this was a total fluke and a result of my friends telling me to come out and join them. So I said 'fuk it' and put my son behind the wheel of a 860hp lambo when he was 14. I knew I would never regret that but it was only for the joy and memories of it.

Up until 4 months ago, I was still faster and more capable on track than him. He just would not 'push' a car. Track driving can be scarry. We spend much more time above 100mph than below. And when we are below, we are pulling g's that make you wonder if you should be doing this. Then all of a sudden, something clicked in him. Almost overnight. He made MASSIVE leaps in performance and his envelope became so much larger than where I could take a car. His precision in braking (where most of your actual speed on a track come from) became almost robotic and so on point. Well beyond anything I can even attempt to try.

Watching that happen and watching my son make leaps beyond anything I can even try to do is a lot of fun. But when I have actual racing pros pulling me to the side and saying they think he has true potential, I dont know that there is much a choice. I spoke about it with my wife and we both decided we had to give him this shot. I will figure out a way to pay for it IF IF he is truly called to do this. No point in just spending money going having fun, we do that already. Only reason to do any of this is a chance to earn a professional seat. Otherwise we can still enjoy all the car stuff we could ever want.

He is SUPER driven to do this. Otherwise I would not even consider it. He is so laid back and just a 'chill' kind of kid. But put him behind the wheel of a car and something just happens. Yes, signs of a very proud parent. But hard not to be so happy watching your kids develop their own best. I would be just as happy if he wanted Pickle ball and was that excited about it. Of course that would be a little more affordable, but in many ways you cant choose where their path will take them. Just something that we did for the fun, has turned into something he happens to be really good at. Not just 'really' good, but almost phenomenal and beyond his years.
    RAW lifts

Bando I know how you got so much joy with following your son through his pursuits. As you well know, the kids will determine their own path in many ways.
    Sometimes that's a hard pill to swallow. When my Son was 16/17 he had been lifting on and off, but then got serious about it. He was strong, ripped, confident, varsity team captain, class president and salutarian (sp?). I was so proud. Then I invited him to compete in a PL meet and he said "I'm not you Dad." That was kind of a breaking point when he went on more of his own path.

Like most Dads I wish my Son would just be a mini me, but he's already surpassed me in so many different ways.

I don't know who said it first but I like the saying: "If you and I are exactly alike, one of us is unnecessary."

Like most Dads I wish my Son would just be a mini me, but he's already surpassed me in so many different ways.
    That is so much cooler though and good on you for being there the whole way. He will never forget that. I have great memories of my parents support for me in sports. The thing I appreciated the most was their honesty. If I played good they said so, if I played bad, they told me it was not my best. Always honest and taught me to be the same. You can be supportive, but yet I feel it is a parents duty to be a person that your kids can always trust. I wont lie to my kids. I will tell the the hard truth if they ask it of me.

With both my son and daughter, they have both been full of great surprises. Each becoming their own person. I only want to see them happy and be a full individual. One with character, and confidence to be themselves, and even confidence to fail. (that was not an easy one for my kids and I still stress to them how great failure can be and not to fear it).

My life just seems to be less and less important. Maybe I am getting old. But want almost nothing for myself and happy I can say that. My joy comes from seeing those around me be happy.

BUT, back to the 'dad' lesson part. This license will cost about 15k. (not much cheap in this world). I told him he is going to have to earn it. Our friend blew his motor on track last track day. He is having trouble finding a shop he trusts to fix it. He asked for my advice and he joked that he wished I could do it for him. I told him no, but if he wanted, he could hire my son. So he is going to pay my son the 5k quote he got for the job. Of course I am going to have to help and will lead the job, but I am teaching him that opportunities come at a cost and you have to be willing to do things to earn them. I am not a mechanic and not really worth my time to work as one, but I can do the work and enjoy it on my own cars. So I am teaching my son about how you approach it when you want something. Tomorrow morning we are making about an hour drive so we can do full diagnosis and confirm it needs a new motor. I am suspecting either a hole in the piston (supercharged motor on track) or possible ring land failure. I did a quick diagnosis at the track for him, but I did not have my borescope or leak down tester. He is paying my son the same $500 diagnostic fee he was quoted by the garage to do it and I will walk my son through the steps of how to check the motor.

So in many ways this will be a cool thing. He always sees that I am not above doing any work. I want him to be self reliant and learn those same values.
    RAW lifts

Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Lots of great stories. I have two girls and no boys. My girls aren’t interested in any of this stuff; hunting, motor sports/cars, farming, outdoors. I have no regrets, but I love seeing these boys that get in to the stuff that many of us dreamt about as youngsters.

I was in to cars for a long time until we moved to the country and bought a small farm. Traded in the car for a pickup truck and tractor. i have to haul stuff now, so no going crazy with the pickup either. Totaled my 2500 AT4 Diesel with 10k miles, and that was that. Now I Just drive a 1500.

My last car was a CTS-V. Such a fun and great car to drive. Had a Hellcat, Supercharged F150 (550whp), and a supercharged Coyote Mustang with 600whp.

I miss these days, but not the money I blew. Lol

One party system; Most Republicans are Democrats, but no Democrats are Republicans.
    Hayek and Mises were right; they're all socialists.
    "To Call something fair or unfair is a subjective value judgment and not liable to any verification" Ludwig Von Mises

My life just seems to be less and less important. Maybe I am getting old. But want almost nothing for myself and happy I can say that. My joy comes from seeing those around me be happy.

I am not a mechanic and not really worth my time to work as one, but I can do the work and enjoy it on my own cars. So I am teaching my son about how you approach it when you want something.
    If you ever make it back this way I'll buy you a longneck at the Dark Horse, kinda agree mostly disagree.

You kinda disparaged race motor mechanics, I'm guessing that's a pretty high paying, valuable skill. I feel like if some Mom in her Chevy Cruze breaks down and a race mechanic pulls over and pops the hood, she's glad it's not some art designer or chef.

As for "My life just seems to be less and less important" I've been listening to Arnold's pump club podcast and he has all this advice about when your life changes from you to your kids.

The good news, as you were probably expecting, is that slabs of muscle, a good diet and heavy compound lifting puts you in the very top percentile for a long life.

I'm driving 60 miles one way tomorrow to hustle up some new snow tires for my Son's whip, after the gym.

If you ever make it back this way I'll buy you a longneck at the Dark Horse, kinda agree mostly disagree.

You kinda disparaged race motor mechanics, I'm guessing that's a pretty high paying, valuable skill.
    Def up for a beer! Came out wrong, and I respect anyone for the living they choose to make. I just meant that my time is finite, and I would not trade the time it will take me to do a motor for what the job it worth. I have a back log of my 'normal' work and I do much better clicking mouses vs twisting wrenches. (although I truly enjoy working with my hands).

Packing and off to race school tomorrow! Just mind blowing how life will throw curveballs you way. NONE of this was even a thought until Thurs evening. Life happens fast and I feel like one thing that has benefited me is I am not afraid to jump into things with both feet once my mind is made up. I have never been one to labor over decisions.
    RAW lifts

Good luck Bro