Registered User PCRulesPSDrools's Avatar
    PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Vinyl upholstery for custom/home made

Can anyone recommend some quality Vinyl Upholstery for a very small custom project? I'm trying to add a piece to fill in the junkulator gap on my Matrix Varsity GHD for some exercises so I figured I'll go online and buy some matte black vinyl upholstery and rebond foam and maybe also do my computer chair over while I'm at it. I know I've seen threads here in the past from guys doing over their home equipment and I figured I should ask rather than buying at random on amazon.
    Edit: I might have said the wrong type of foam, feel free to educate me on that as well.e
    Last edited by PCRulesPSDrools; 08-13-2023 at 06:31 PM.

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PCRulesPSDrools View Post
    Can anyone recommend some quality Vinyl Upholstery for a very small custom project? I'm trying to add a piece to fill in the junkulator gap on my Matrix Varsity GHD for some exercises so I figured I'll go online and buy some matte black vinyl upholstery and rebond foam and maybe also do my computer chair over while I'm at it. I know I've seen threads here in the past from guys doing over their home equipment and I figured I should ask rather than buying at random on amazon.
    Edit: I might have said the wrong type of foam, feel free to educate me on that as well.e

I believe Full Circle Padding has various vinyl upholstery for different equipment brands (they might offer custom fits too.

EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Depends upon what exactly you want to do. For a regular pad the rebond from full circle is great. It’s 8#, better than rebond you can usually find elsewhere. My personal preference for vinyl is Naugahyde All American. It’s what Legend fitness uses on their pads. You should be able to buy it from fullcircle or sailrite. If you need any help with your project let me know.
    I quote with pics. ()---() York Barbell Club #78 (DD) ()---()
    My gym walk thru: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1629553623#post1629553623

PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by EricAtl View Post
    Depends upon what exactly you want to do. For a regular pad the rebond from full circle is great. It’s 8#, better than rebond you can usually find elsewhere. My personal preference for vinyl is Naugahyde All American. It’s what Legend fitness uses on their pads. You should be able to buy it from fullcircle or sailrite. If you need any help with your project let me know.
    Thank you both, having a look at fullcircle and sailrite. I'll be standing the rebond on it's side and gluing two or three together in the Large half circle shape of the GHD pad ( think like sliced bread still in the bag ). Does this sound like a good idea? The rest I'll do the same way the original equipment is designed with vinyl stapled to a wood base and bolted to 10"x4" of plate steel which I can probably find around, but I'm not going to weld the piece to the frame permanent... rather it will be a drop in/drop out piece using two L brackets ( probably 1.5"x1.5" angle iron ).

One more thing though, I might like to have plastic inside the L brackets to protect from scuffing, what is the plastic used to protect your bars on a rack?

EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thank you both, having a look at fullcircle and sailrite. I'll be standing the rebond on it's side and gluing two or three together in the Large half circle shape of the GHD pad ( think like sliced bread still in the bag ). Does this sound like a good idea? The rest I'll do the same way the original equipment is designed with vinyl stapled to a wood base and bolted to 10"x4" of plate steel which I can probably find around, but I'm not going to weld the piece to the frame permanent... rather it will be a drop in/drop out piece using two L brackets ( probably 1.5"x1.5" angle iron ).

One more thing though, I might like to have plastic inside the L brackets to protect from scuffing, what is the plastic used to protect your bars on a rack?
    UHMW is what you are looking for. Check McMaster Carr.
    I think I get what you are saying. You can glue the rebond together. It might be better to stack it. You can cut it with an electric carving knife.
    My gym walk thru: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1629553623#post1629553623

Full Circle padding won't ship Vinyl or Rebonde foam to Canada. Sailrite doesn't have Rebonde foam and Naugahyde All American is out of stock. This is getting complicated :/
    I bought some UHMW from McMaster Carr. Funny thing with their checkout it doesn't show shipping until complete your order. $13.00 for the UHMW $27 shipping + tax. Ouch.
    I went and bought some Vinyl from Sailrite, took what I could get Naugahyde black raven :shrugs:
    Sewing by hand since Grandma isn't around anymore.
    Last edited by PCRulesPSDrools; 09-05-2023 at 07:11 PM.

Ok so I found a source for rebonde foam in Canada, but I'd like to know before I pull the trigger... Is that typically the firmest foam found in exercise equipment? I'm trying to match the gear I have without having to butcher my equipment apart to investigate.

Ok so I found a source for rebonde foam in Canada, but I'd like to know before I pull the trigger... Is that typically the firmest foam found in exercise equipment? I'm trying to match the gear I have without having to butcher my equipment apart to investigate.
    I think so, however there are different densities of rebond. Full circle has 8 pound. I’ve bought 6# from some other store and it was softer. There was a thread a while ago about benches and padding, I’ll look for it.

Wonder where I can get more of whatever these clamps are called.
    Attached Images

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Wonder where I can get more of whatever these clamps are called.
    shaft collars. Literally hundreds of places. mcmaster.com if you're stuck.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I bought a bunch of stainless ones on Amazon

Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    shaft collars. Literally hundreds of places. mcmaster.com if you're stuck.
    Thanks again everyone. McMasterCarr cancelled my order though for UHMW because they couldn't be bothered so I'll have to get those shaft collars on amazon. Only need 3 anyway. I have my Vinyl & Rebonde foam in hand now. Rebonde is 70lb stuff which is not ideal but it's the best I could manage to find with my moderate efforts. Full circle wouldn't ship materials to Canada.

I'll probably find some scrap Teflon to substitute for UHMW.

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks again everyone. McMasterCarr cancelled my order though for UHMW because they couldn't be bothered so I'll have to get those shaft collars on amazon. Only need 3 anyway. I have my Vinyl & Rebonde foam in hand now. Rebonde is 70lb stuff which is not ideal but it's the best I could manage to find with my moderate efforts. Full circle wouldn't ship materials to Canada.

I'll probably find some scrap Teflon to substitute for UHMW.
    Amazon has UHMW also. I have purchased it in many forms.