EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Is there a term for a Pendlay row with a controlled ecentric?

My preference for rows is with a bar and off the floor with the back as parallel as full arm extension allows, and minimal hip movement throughout the full range of motion. This is most directly associated with the Pendlay row, but that variation's explicit lack of an ecentric, while interesting and useful for training explosive force in shoulder adduction, is not something that I see as vital to simply performing the exercise in this way, otherwise. In fact, I often do provide some resistance when lowering the bar rather than letting it slam down as hard as it would if it were effectively dropped, and have still been calling them Pendlays.

So, my question is, is there not a term for basically a Pendlay but with a moderately controlled ecentric? "Barbell row" seems to be the best candidate, but those are often done with 45 degree backs and half the range of motion, and in some cases really are just bastardized shrugs, so I prefer to shy away from that term. So, I've been documenting Pendlay rows in my own log here for years, but while they're not slow ecentrics, I am still guiding the bar down somewhat and would like to know a better name to log these under.

I'm slightly surprised that this variation of the row isn't more popular, and that an actual Pendlay is usually what people do if using a barbell and it's not either of the two above, given how ligament microtears most stressed by the ecentric portion of a lift are such an important part of hypertrophy and strength acclimation.

This video is from two years ago (and my body composition then was significantly better, I'll add) but it's a good example of what I'm talking about because I have rowed this way ever since. I'm not gently setting it down but it's far from a slam as if I was truly avoiding an ecentric on purpose:

Attached Images
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pendlay row.

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pendlay row - the explosive one, but you don't actually explode

Barbell bentover row - normal row done with a barbell

Yates row - 45 degree row, pronated or supinated
    https://youtu.be/ryxwNKu23OQ

Bastardized shrug - that's just poor form.
    Saying that " I prefer to shy away from that term." it's like saying you shy away from the term "pullup" because some people do them crossfit style.
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Can't have a term for every different level of cheatiness or control on eccentric for every lift.

I'd call it Pendlay if I'm lifting off the floor and not in full control on the eccentric (your video).
    I'd call it barbell or bent over row if I'm fairly close to horizontal, controlling eccentric to and not setting the bar on the floor.
    I'd likely log it as a cheaty bent over row if I use too much body english or more upright.

But who really cares? There are so many row variations and levels of cheatiness that I don't really bother noting every nuance down. Whatever gives me a reasonable idea of what I did and how much weight to grab next time.
    2022 -- Just maintaining and doing the van life
    April 2021.................16 week cut.................168 lbs
    2020......................375 / 285 / 505..............186 lbs
    Pre-COVID..............335 / 295 / 499..............185 lbs
    July 1, 2019................9 week cut.................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    We would call the controlled eccentrics "negatives" back in 1985 at the college gym.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparro
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossu
    SuicideGripMe: Falco
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Wease
    Stefo9: Fert
    Camarja: Raccon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My question would be: Eli, why are you lifting without office shoes and without office pants?

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    We would call the controlled eccentrics "negatives" back in 1985 at the college gym.
    Also, Chlamydia used to be a girl name back then.

Originally Posted by jademonkey View Post
    But who really cares?
    Apparently, Eli!

But seriously, in his video the eccentric is OK, it's not an explosive/fast movement.
    Actually, he is using a good amount of weight, I would say.
    And it's hard to do that movement explosively.
    Last edited by jaxqen; 06-28-2023 at 12:52 AM.
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.