Registered User MrJessiePinkman's Avatar
    MrJessiePinkman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What have I done to my back?

Hey all

I'm 29 and about 1 year ago I was doing barbell squats (About 90kg which was pretty heavy for me) and at the bottom of my rep, just as I started to push back up I felt something pop in my lower back... One of the most painful things I have ever experienced! Managed to rack the bar but could then barely walk or stand up straight. It was like this for about a week. I was doing icepacks all day and on a lot of painkillers. I went to physio but they didn't help or know what I did. Took 3-5 months or so before I was able to go back to the gym, although I still haven't done anything that puts strain on my lowerback. It's much better and doesn't bother me much anymore but I still get pain when I bend down and it feels like It can suddenly pop again like it did before, so I have to be really careful when doing any movements

My question is.. What did I do? And what can I do to get better? Thanks!

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I’m curious why/what the physics can’t answer that themselves for you. Did they say it was spinal disc related? Sounds like you had a bulging disc or something.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why didn't you get an mri?

erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That sounds like how Ronnie described how he injured his back.

Do you feel tingling or weakness in your arms or legs, especially at the same time as your back pain? Do you feel tingling or stinging pain shoot through your body?

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Why didn't you get an mri?
    I wasn't aware that an MRI could be used to diagnoise issues like this.
    I live in a rural area/no MRI scans near me.
    I can't afford it.
    The psyiotherapist just said to do some stretches and didn't refer me to an MRI or anything, so I just took her advice

Originally Posted by erigni View Post
    That sounds like how Ronnie described how he injured his back.

Do you feel tingling or weakness in your arms or legs, especially at the same time as your back pain? Do you feel tingling or stinging pain shoot through your body?
    Reading up on his injury, yeah it sounds similar. I had some tingling/numbness in my whole lower body below the injured area. Nothing in the arms though.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MrJessiePinkman View Post
    I wasn't aware that an MRI could be used to diagnoise issues like this.
    I live in a rural area/no MRI scans near me.
    I can't afford it.
    The psyiotherapist just said to do some stretches and didn't refer me to an MRI or anything, so I just took her advice
    Stretching for a back injury can do more harm than good without a proper diagnosis first. Really, you shouldn't stretch any acute injury. I would seek a second opinion.

erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MrJessiePinkman View Post
    Reading up on his injury, yeah it sounds similar. I had some tingling/numbness in my whole lower body below the injured area. Nothing in the arms though.
    You might have a herniated disc. When the disc is herniated, it bulges out of its place and ends up aggravating the nerves that run down the spinal cord. That causes tingling and numbness in your legs. For your own safety, you should go see a doctor. Herniated discs are very dangerous, especially to a regular lifter.

I had some similar symptoms in my back and thought I had a herniated disc. But I stopped lifting heavy for a few months and did some spinal decompression, and the pain basically went away entirely. I'm now lifting as heavy as I was before. It sounds like your pain has persisted after about a year of rest, which further convinces me that you probably have a herniated disc. You should see a doctor.

Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Get an X-ray done.

I injured my lower back years ago deadlifting. It didn't herniate my disc but it did cause a knot in the muscle which has given me grief on and off over the years. It flares up out of nowhere and causes excruciating pain. Definitely don't screw around with a lower back injury, because I usually have to shell out the money for a therapeutic massage whenever it happens.
    Back off, Warchild.

Seriously.