Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post How to not feel drained on a cut?

Hey everyone!

I’ve bulked for a while at the weight I wanted to get to. Currently I’m 228 lbs and I’d like to get to 190-200 lbs. I’m aiming to lose 1-2 lbs per week. However even though I’m in a 500 cal deficit I feel like I’m drained. Then when I go to a 300 cal deficit I feel there’s no progress. I also get a decent amount of sleep. Roughly 7-8 hours, I’m not sure what I can do to subside feeling drained on the cut.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To some extent that's just part of the game man.

If you're still overweight and on a deficit, it's mostly psychological if you're not micronutrient deficient since your existing fat supplies the energy you need, but you won't feel as good and your training will be worse. That's just how it is.

Making food choices which have a lower caloric density and greater degree of wholesomeness is one thing that might still mitigate that, though. What does your diet actually look like? If you're eating poorly even at a deficit you will feel bad.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Life's tough sometimes.

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post

If you're still overweight and on a deficit, it's mostly psychological if you're not micronutrient deficient since your existing fat supplies the energy you need, but you won't feel as good and your training will be worse. That's just how it is.

Making food choices which have a lower caloric density and greater degree of wholesomeness is one thing that might still mitigate that, though. What does your diet actually look like? If you're eating poorly even at a deficit you will feel bad.
    Pretty much this

You should prioritize sleep (obviously), don't go too low on carbs or fats, rely mostly on micronutrient-dense foods, keep well-hydrated, & definitely minimize high-intensity training (ease back in the gym if needed and definitely rely mostly on LISS/minor Zone 2/walking for cardio).

All that being said, EVERYONE feels drained on a cut. I don't care whether you're a walking motivational poster or on one of those trendy newfangled weightless drugs or David fuking Goggins...Your energy levels WILL suffer in a caloric deficit. This will only become more true the longer you diet & the leaner you get. If it becomes truly unbearable, then a diet break or transition to slowly bulking is needed because you're either too lean to keep going or have just been at it for too long.

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do a pavlov's dong experiment

Every time you feel drained, call a girl over until you relate drained with pleasure

That and as Strawng mentions, make sure you get at least .3 g fat per lb you weigh, for me it's .35 g fat per lb. Any less and I feel fried. Get your protein minimums and put the rest of your macros into longer release carbs.

I'm down to 200 from 235 lbs, about 10 more lbs to go; having a cheerleader during fat loss is great motivation

Good luck!
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Opossum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpockets: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Mark1T: Black Labrador retriever
    Paulinanas: Coyote
    Sails: Wlf

Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonksz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post

I had a feeling, just wasn’t sure if anything could help it 😅 as for my macros my calorie intake is 2327 calories 223g of protein, 116g of carbs and 103g of fat. I try to keep my carbs within the range of 100-150 specifically since I find once I go over 150g of carbs the weight doesn’t budge at all.

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nicotine and caffeine.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bonksz View Post
    223g of protein, 116g of carbs and 103g of fat.

You'd be better energy-wise with:
    183 g protein split into 5 meals
    80 g fat to be safe
    Rest carbs

Also yes, stimulants during a cut help
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► Progress Pictures

Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    You'd be better energy-wise with:
    183 g protein split into 5 meals
    80 g fat to be safe
    Rest carbs

Also yes, stimulants during a cut help
    Wouldnt 183g of protein put me on the lower side of the 0.8-1g per lbs scale? As for carbs for some reason I find once I go over 150g of carbs the weight doesn’t go down. I’m not sure what could be the cause of that.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    Nicotine and caffeine.
    That's my pre-workout. I also add orange peel extract or something like that.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Opossum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpockets: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Mark1T: Black Labrador retriever
    Paulinanas: Coyote
    Sails: Wlf

Wouldnt 183g of protein put me on the lower side of the 0.8-1g per lbs scale? As for carbs for some reason I find once I go over 150g of carbs the weight doesn’t go down. I’m not sure what could be the cause of that.
    For the protein, new evidence by our resident doc heisman showed .8 g per lb in 5 meals was more or less the limit of benefit

For carbs that's due to water retention, but you are still actually losing fat in a calorie reduction even if you're holding onto water

If you want to get dry for a week vacation or photoshoot you can always manipulate salt and carbs to do that any time, but it's nor reflective of actual fat loss
    ► Progress Pictures

gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    That's my pre-workout. I also add orange peel extract or something like that.
    It gets me through all the double shifts at work, that it kills appetite is a bonus. I needs my energys.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    For the protein, new evidence by our resident doc heisman showed .8 g per lb in 5 meals was more or less the limit of benefit

For carbs that's due to water retention, but you are still actually losing fat in a calorie reduction even if you're holding onto water

If you want to get dry for a week vacation or photoshoot you can always manipulate salt and carbs to do that any time, but it's nor reflective of actual fat loss

Oh okay, I wasn’t aware carbs and water retention had a connection. So it’s normal to see no weight loss or even a little weight gain the first week or two? Or would I have to drink more or less water to combat that?

Oh okay, I wasn’t aware carbs and water retention had a connection. So it’s normal to see no weight loss or even a little weight gain the first week or two? Or would I have to drink more or less water to combat that?
    Drink to thirst is best; some days you retain water and others you don't. Bujt carbs will effect water retention and wight by default; it's when you eat more or less than normal; if you eat, say, 100g of carbs per day, then jump to 400g you will bloat. Or if you neat 400g per day then drop to 100g, you will probably drop a lot of with from water.

Point is, decide a carb intake and stick to it, you're body will normalize to that intake.

DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You're not giving your body the right amount of calories to support itself so it's resorting to burning off fat stores to keep you going (fat loss!)

It's normal and part of the game, unfortunately. I'm finding my current cut harder than ever. Caffeine helps a lot.
    Currently cutting.