couchpotato95 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What am i doing wrong?

Let me tell you a little bit about myself.

Back in 2017, I was what you might call "skinny fat." I didn't have a lot of muscle but I had a relatively high body fat percentage. I started lifting weights without much knowledge about exercise or nutrition, but I did manage to put on some muscle thanks to beginner gains. I went from weighing 55kg to 62-65kg, which was a significant improvement.

Fast forward to 2019, I moved abroad and lost track of my fitness routine. I gained 10-15 kgs and ended up weighing around 75kg. In 2022, I decided to make a change and joined a personal training program. In the first three months, I lost around 15 kgs, but I also lost some muscle mass along with the fat. Unfortunately, I still had a high body fat percentage.

Over the next three months, I focused on bulking up and managed to gain some weight, going from 60kg to 65kg. Since then, I have been cutting and trying to reduce my body fat percentage. However, I have noticed that neither my weight nor my waist/hip/chest measurements have gone down significantly.

I have learned a lot about exercise and nutrition since I started this journey, and I try to stay on track as much as possible. Admittedly, I do have some off days where I end up eating out for dinner, but I track everything else closely. Right now, my body measurements are:

Height: 165cm
    Weight: 62.5kg
    Waist: 74cm
    Hip: 89cm
    Chest: 89cm
    In terms of nutrition, I aim for a total of 1500-1600 calories per day, with 100-120g of protein and the rest being carbs and fat (with carbs on the higher end). I go to the gym four days a week, following a push-pull upper and legs split.

I've attached some before and after pictures. I feel like I've lost a good amount of fat in the front view, but not much at all in the back pose. I would appreciate any tips on how to move forward. Some tips may seem obvious, but I'm happy to listen to any advice.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by couchpotato95; 05-12-2023 at 08:23 PM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by couchpotato95 View Post
    Back in 2017, I was what you might call "skinny fat." I didn't have a lot of muscle but I had a relatively high body fat percentage. I started lifting weights without much knowledge about exercise or nutrition, but I did manage to put on some muscle thanks to beginner gains. I went from weighing 55kg to 62-65kg, which was a significant improvement.
    Judging muscle "gains" solely by weight gain when you're already fat is usually a mistake.

In the first three months, I lost around 15 kgs, but I also lost some muscle mass along with the fat. Unfortunately, I still had a high body fat percentage.
    Everyone loses some muscle mass with significant weight loss, but you probably just thought a lot of the fat you had gained was muscle when you lost it again. It's very common for already fat people who bulk to just spin their wheels, simply gaining and losing fat - thinking they're "bulking" and "cutting".

Over the next three months, I focused on bulking up and managed to gain some weight, going from 60kg to 65kg. Since then, I have been cutting and trying to reduce my body fat percentage.
    See comment above.

However, I have noticed that neither my weight nor my waist/hip/chest measurements have gone down significantly.

I have learned a lot about exercise and nutrition since I started this journey, and I try to stay on track as much as possible. Admittedly, I do have some off days where I end up eating out for dinner, but I track everything else closely. Right now, my body measurements are:
    If you're not losing weight, you need to eat less. Judge being on track by the scale and the mirror, not measuring your body parts.

I try to stay on track as much as possible. Admittedly, I do have some off days where I end up eating out for dinner, but I track everything else closely.
    In terms of nutrition, I aim for a total of 1500-1600 calories per day, with 100-120g of protein and the rest being carbs and fat (with carbs on the higher end)
    If you're not losing weight anymore, you're eating way more than 1500-1600 cals/day. You can't simply choose to ignore days where you decide to eat more.

I go to the gym four days a week, following a push-pull upper and legs split.

I've attached some before and after pictures. I feel like I've lost a good amount of fat in the front view, but not much at all in the back pose. I would appreciate any tips on how to move forward. Some tips may seem obvious, but I'm happy to listen to any advice.
    This is a side issue from the weight loss, but I'm going to guess that your program isn't very good in terms of muscle development. This is more relevant to how your body looks at different bodyweights, and is evidenced by your pics.

I'm not entirely clear which is supposed to be the before and after pics, but you look untrained & high bf% in all of them.

I recommend honestly eating less consistently, lifting under a proper novice program, and doing some cardio on off days and/or after your lifting. I'm pretty sure it's that simple if you want to start achieving results and not yo-yoing up & down the scale at a high bf%.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what about your lifts? can you keep adding weight to the bar, or rather, have you managed to add any weight to the bar in the first place? how much do you bench/squat/row etc?

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not training with effort
    Not picking a specific goal and sticking with it

Those are my guesses. You have a tremendous amount of fat for someone at that weight and waistline.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Judging muscle "gains" solely by weight gain when you're already fat is usually a mistake.

Everyone loses some muscle mass with significant weight loss, but you probably just thought a lot of the fat you had gained was muscle when you lost it again. It's very common for already fat people who bulk to just spin their wheels, simply gaining and losing fat - thinking they're "bulking" and "cutting".

See comment above.

If you're not losing weight, you need to eat less. Judge being on track by the scale and the mirror, not measuring your body parts.

If you're not losing weight anymore, you're eating way more than 1500-1600 cals/day. You can't simply choose to ignore days where you decide to eat more.

This is a side issue from the weight loss, but I'm going to guess that your program isn't very good in terms of muscle development. This is more relevant to how your body looks at different bodyweights, and is evidenced by your pics.

I'm not entirely clear which is supposed to be the before and after pics, but you look untrained & high bf% in all of them.

I recommend honestly eating less consistently, lifting under a proper novice program, and doing some cardio on off days and/or after your lifting. I'm pretty sure it's that simple if you want to start achieving results and not yo-yoing up & down the scale at a high bf%.
    Hi, thanks for your detailed reply. Apologies for my late response as i haven't been getting notifications.

I understand the fact that I have not been consistent and my body fat percent remains high. The before pic is the one with the teal shorts. Are you saying that the before pic and after pic looks as if i have not lowered my body fat percent?

Can you elaborate more on the structured program bit? I have been progressievely overloading with every eccentric bit of the lift controlled and slow. I can definitely say that I have put on strength as I couldn't for example do a single pull up where I can do 10 clean ones.

I agree with the fact that I have to track even what I eat on days I eat more. Agree that I need to get better at eating less consistently. One thing i don't agree and this probably my lack of understanding is the lifitng program. Would it help if i post my workout list in here?

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    what about your lifts? can you keep adding weight to the bar, or rather, have you managed to add any weight to the bar in the first place? how much do you bench/squat/row etc?
    Yes I have been adding weight. I started off with 7.5 kg dumbell (each) presses back a year ago and I can do 22.5 kg (each ) now = 45 kg. I don't do squats as my back hurts and therefore do leg presses which I can do around 120 kgs (total). I understand squats can never be equal to leg presses but honestly It just does not feel comfortable and this could be because of my poor form

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Not training with effort
    Not picking a specific goal and sticking with it

Those are my guesses. You have a tremendous amount of fat for someone at that weight and waistline.
    Understand the problem. What would you advise? Could you please be more detailed? Would you need any additional information for a more insightful response?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi, thanks for your detailed reply. Apologies for my late response as i haven't been getting notifications.

I understand the fact that I have not been consistent and my body fat percent remains high. The before pic is the one with the teal shorts. Are you saying that the before pic and after pic looks as if i have not lowered my body fat percent?
    I don't mean to be discouraging, but you look like you've clearly gained significant weight & bf%. Don't mistake fat for gained muscle.

Can you elaborate more on the structured program bit? I have been progressievely overloading with every eccentric bit of the lift controlled and slow. I can definitely say that I have put on strength as I couldn't for example do a single pull up where I can do 10 clean ones.

I agree with the fact that I have to track even what I eat on days I eat more. Agree that I need to get better at eating less consistently. One thing i don't agree and this probably my lack of understanding is the lifitng program. Would it help if i post my workout list in here?
    I honestly don't need to see the workout program. Take a look at some proper novice programs online & compare them to yours (some examples are in the stickies at the top of the Workout forum).

Personally I think your approach to workout + nutrition + cut/bulk cycles are classic wheel spinning for people trying to lose weight. But if you feel you're knowledgeable about how to program your own workout and are happy with the results, continue to do what you're doing.

But be careful not to mistake minor "strength" gains when you start working out from an untrained state, and while you're apparently gaining weight, as proof that you've designed a good lifting program. And slow eccentrics aren't doing much really.

I'm basing my comments above & earlier on the information and pics you've provided. But if you feel like you're making good progress and I'm mistaken with my assessment, there's no need to change anything. In the end, it's your body and workout and you should do what makes you happy and keeps you motivated.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    I don't mean to be discouraging, but you look like you've clearly gained significant weight & bf%. Don't mistake fat for gained muscle.

I honestly don't need to see the workout program. Take a look at some proper novice programs online & compare them to yours (some examples are in the stickies at the top of the Workout forum).

Personally I think your approach to workout + nutrition + cut/bulk cycles are classic wheel spinning for people trying to lose weight. But if you feel you're knowledgeable about how to program your own workout and are happy with the results, continue to do what you're doing.

But be careful not to mistake minor "strength" gains when you start working out from an untrained state, and while you're apparently gaining weight, as proof that you've designed a good lifting program. And slow eccentrics aren't doing much really.

I'm basing my comments above & earlier on the information and pics you've provided. But if you feel like you're making good progress and I'm mistaken with my assessment, there's no need to change anything. In the end, it's your body and workout and you should do what makes you happy and keeps you motivated.
    I am so sorry the AFTER pic is the one with the teal shorts at 62 kgs. On the right is the before pic when I was 75 kg. That's why i was surprised at your comment. Thanks for your feedback

I am so sorry the AFTER pic is the one with the teal shorts at 62 kgs. On the right is the before pic when I was 75 kg. That's why i was surprised at your comment. Thanks for your feedback
    OK, that's a little better at least! My advice/comments in both responses above remain the same since you look high bf% in both pics, but do with them what you will. Good luck!