panada1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking Beta blockers - losing fat - gaining muscle

Hi, everyone! I've used for so many times this forum and always found the information very useful. Now I'm looking for a more specific answer so here I am.

I'm keen on going to the gym, though I don't have amazing results.

I've been diagnosed with tachycardia 2 years ago and put on bisoprolol. Otherwise, my heart rate would be 120 bpm while just sitting down. 170 maximum when working out (no matter what kind of exercise). I got some belly fat because of my diet and big sugar intake, but it's been like 4 months since I eat clean and mostly unprocessed (or little) food. I lost 10 kgs.

Yesterday I forgot to take my bisoprolol and I had a big heart rate and over 1.000 kcals burnt over the day. The workout wasn't bad at all!! What I don't know is when would be better to take my beta blockers, before (as I usually do) or after the workout. I'm working on putting on some muscle right now, so that's my goal.

Thank you so much in advance!

FitFreak02 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey 👋,

Have you spoke to your doctor about this? If not it would be the first thing I'd recommend you do. Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't you take these at consistent times to maintain a consistent heart rate? I know that they can impact exercise and you might not get the full benefits from the exercise compared to not taking them.

I appreciate this probably isn't the direct answer you were looking for but when it comes to health your docs the way to go.

panada1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you for your prompt reply!

I have talked to the doctor. As I don't have any heart problems and everything is induced, I'm not at risk, neither before nor after the workout. He said that it's up to me when I take it (maybe regarding the calories burnt, more without the beta blockers (?!) ).

I'm trying hard to make a body recomposition (and it works, hard, but it works). I don't know which option would be more beneficial to me, higher heart rate during workout or maximum 115 during workout.