peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100)

beginner leg program doesnt work?

i have been working out with weights and bodyweight at home for some time now, but i decided last week to finally join the gym because i want my legs to grow (i am content with the rest of my body, i just want my legs and glutes to be more muscly and defined). i got a work-out program from a trainer that works at the gym i attend, but after going for 3 days (mon/wed/fri) i don't feel my legs at all. i can walk, run, do everything the day after my work-out which makes me feel like i am not doing anything at all. i worked out my legs at home this weekend and i immediately felt the burn and i could hardly walk the next day. am i not doing my exercises correctly at the gym? i tried going with higher weights on friday, but i could barely get myself through the exercises so i lowered it down to the original weights. i am just wondering why i don't feel any type of burn or soreness?

this is my current given program:
    - stairmaster warmup
    - leg press 3x10
    - hip abductor 3x15
    - hip adductor 3x15
    - glute isolater 3x15
    - stairmaster cooldown

i came up with my own schedule before going to the gym and am wondering if i should just ditch the schedule made by the trainer and go with my own:
    - bulgarian split squats w/ dumbbell 3x12
    - cable kickbacks 2x15
    - hip thrusts 3x15
    - seated hip abductions 2x15
    - leg extension 4x15
    - leg press 3x10

and no i don't want to add any other squats in my program (for now) because of personal reasons. i will hopefully be able to add them in the future.

any feedback is appreciated!

Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I used to have the same outlook on DOMS as an indicator of muscle growth, but realized DOMS isn’t the best indication of progress being made.

Just be sure to track your numbers, try and continuously add weight to your load over time, and train to failure. Also, be sure to eat enough to support muscle growth and there’s literally no way you won’t see your legs grow.
    Burn rubber, not your soul

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Any program for your lower body that doesn't contain squats or front squats (both is best) is always going to provide minimal results.
    Currently cutting.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Kylehero View Post
    continuously add weight to your load over time.
    and add repetitions.
    Funishe renal hoses in Cofeville Kasas. Washe/drye, full kitcen, cale/wif, all bils paid. Weders, fiters, boilermakes, electicians, inpectors the refiery, soybea plat, bio disel plant, pipline and anmal fod plant conractos.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Kylehero View Post
    I used to have the same outlook on DOMS as an indicator of muscle growth, but realized DOMS isn’t the best indication of progress being made.
    This. DOMS gives an indicator that you're hitting muscles, but severe DOMS is usually more an indicator of poor adaptation than muscle growth.

Originally Posted by Spanishdream View Post
    Any program for your lower body that doesn't contain squats or front squats (both is best) is always going to provide minimal results.
    And this. If barbells squats aren't your thing, do safety bar squats, hack squats, belt squats, trap bar squats, goblet squats, or plain-old dumbbell squats.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by peripherals View Post
    personal reasons
    That's not a reason. I don't do leg extensions because they hurt my knees. That's an actual reason.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    That's not a reason. I don't do leg extensions because they hurt my knees. That's an actual reason.
    And I don’t do barbell squats because I wrecked both my shoulders. But I squat with a Marrs Bar, belt squat, and dumbbells, which are all good alternatives.

You need to do better than "personal" reasons if you don't want to squat. Maybe it makes your vagina sore. That would be valid.

peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100) peripherals is not very well liked. (-100)
    Since posting my post i have done my own research (which i should've done from the start) and i have come to the conclusion that none of the exercises my trainer has given me will actually bulk up my legs (except for the leg press). It is a very beginner oriented program that will not do what i want it to do, which also explains why i did not experience any muscle pains or even fatigue. So yes, my own program does seem better.

I work out one day a week at home and that's where i do my squats. I can't perform them in the gym yet as i have stated for personal reasons. I do not have to lay out my entire life's problems for a bunch of anonymous forum meatheads, but i digress. I just asked for feedback and from the majority of you i got "muh squats" not judging the rest of my program, which was my original question.

I know you guys don't owe me anything, but it would've been nice to at least get some feedback on my current program since the one my trainer gave me sucks. (and yes i will eventually add squats, since i know they are important).

Thank you all for taking the time to respond! Even though i might seem salty, i am taking everything you guys said in consideration and i appreciate the overall feedback.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Since posting my post i have done my own research (which i should've done from the start) and i have come to the conclusion that none of the exercises my trainer has given me will actually bulk up my legs (except for the leg press). It is a very beginner oriented program that will not do what i want it to do, which also explains why i did not experience any muscle pains or even fatigue. So yes, my own program does seem better.

I work out one day a week at home and that's where i do my squats. I can't perform them in the gym yet as i have stated for personal reasons. I do not have to lay out my entire life's problems for a bunch of anonymous forum meatheads, but i digress. I just asked for feedback and from the majority of you i got "muh squats" not judging the rest of my program, which was my original question.

I know you guys don't owe me anything, but it would've been nice to at least get some feedback on my current program since the one my trainer gave me sucks. (and yes i will eventually add squats, since i know they are important).

Thank you all for taking the time to respond! Even though i might seem salty, i am taking everything you guys said in consideration and i appreciate the overall feedback.
    Life isn't binary. Two programs can each be poor, even if one might be better than the other.

And the advice from posters above, which you don't have to like or agree with, nonetheless is still feedback on your current program. In your original post, none of your specific questions even asked for feedback on your current program.

Muh squats.

- Anonymous forum meathead

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Life isn't binary. Two programs can each be poor, even if one might be better than the other.

And the advice from posters above, which you don't have to like or agree with, nonetheless is still feedback on your current program. In your original post, none of your specific questions even asked for feedback on your current program.

Muh squats.

- Anonymous forum meathead
    Thank you anonymous forum meathead, i now see that i wasn't clear in my original post. I still said in my previous post that i appreciated the feedback (which i do), but i am sure that leg day doesn't only consist out of only doing squats? I am now researching the different muscles/muscle groups that are targeted by different exercises and i have also realized i might have to do two different types of leg day so i have more variety in my program and that all the appropriate muscles get targeted each week. I am still a noob so i will first get more accustomed to doing the basic exercises correctly and work on my overall form and strength before complicating things too much for myself.

There is just so much information out there that it can sometimes be overwhelming on how to structure a program correctly and i had hoped a gym trainer would be more proficient at that but alas.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I learned to drive, I didn't build my own car. I was lazy that way and somehow I became a good driver. Those were fun times.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    but i am sure that leg day doesn't only consist out of only doing squats?
    Squats are the best exercise for your legs, period. No amount of variation with substitutes will change that. You wouldn't substitute bench press if you wanted to grow your chest.

There are three main exercises that should be in any routine (arguably four*)

1. Bench Press
    2. Squats
    3. Deadlifts
    4. Chin Ups/Lat Pull Downs*

Any of these removed, you have a lot of work to do to replace them. Compound exercises such as squats aren't easily substituted. They work multiple primary muscles & stabilising muscles at once.

There is just so much information out there that it can sometimes be overwhelming on how to structure a program correctly and i had hoped a gym trainer would be more proficient at that but alas.
    Agreed but a lot of it is rubbish. Personal trainers aren't really worth your time and money. Just follow a structured novice routine like Fierce 5 or All Pros while eating dependent on your goals.
    Currently cutting.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Asd you don't want squats apparently. That's fine.

Hack squat or similar (deep knee bend pattern)
    Rdl or similar (hip hinge pattern)
    Lunge or loaded carry (unilateral lower movement)
    Leg ext (quad iso / inc rec fem)
    Leg curl (ham iso / inc bi fem short head)

No exercise is required, irrespective of what anyone may tell you (unless you compete in a sport that requires them) barbell squats are not required....

But ideally you want to cover all the above movement patterns.

Optional movements like adductors, Abductors. Hip thrusts ect... Even more optional that the rest.

My only real requirements for people i coach are the axially load their spine...
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    When I learned to drive, I didn't build my own car.
    I recently built my own roll crimping tool to reload .410 shotgun shells. The crimp is what holds in the pellets and the powder. Total cost was about 40 cents.

Funishe renal hoses in Cofeville Kasas. Washe/drye, full kitcen, cale/wif, all bils paid. Weders, fiters, boilermakes, electicians, inpectors the refiery, soybea plat, bio disel plant, pipline and anmal fod plant conractos.

I work out one day a week at home and that's where i do my squats. I can't perform them in the gym yet as i have stated for personal reasons. I do not have to lay out my entire life's problems for a bunch of anonymous forum meatheads, but i digress.
    Squatting at home is fine. Do you have equipment to add resistance? Even bands will work for a novice.