Thread: Left Glute dead

GreegRoth is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Left Glute dead

Hey there,

I used to sit 10+ hours a day for the past two decades. I believe leaning on the right side has slowly caused the left glute to fall asleep. No matter what exercise I do, I can't get the left glute to pick up the workload. I can only very faintly flex it at all. If I do things like Romanian deadflits, squats or glute bridges, the closest muscle will completely take over. Does anyone have a suggestion for forcing the glutes to fire and working them out?

Thank You

-Greg

jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by GreegRoth View Post
    Hey there,

I used to sit 10+ hours a day for the past two decades. I believe leaning on the right side has slowly caused the left glute to fall asleep. No matter what exercise I do, I can't get the left glute to pick up the workload. I can only very faintly flex it at all. If I do things like Romanian deadflits, squats or glute bridges, the closest muscle will completely take over. Does anyone have a suggestion for forcing the glutes to fire and working them out?

Thank You

-Greg
    Hi Greg,

It's great that you're looking to address the issue of your left glute not firing properly. It's not uncommon for years of sitting to cause muscle imbalances and lead to certain muscles not firing correctly. There are a few things you can try to help get your left glute back on track.

Firstly, it's important to incorporate exercises that specifically target the glutes, such as glute bridges, hip thrusts, and lunges. However, you mentioned that the closest muscle is taking over during these exercises, which suggests that your glutes are not properly engaging. To address this, you can try incorporating activation exercises before your main workouts to help "wake up" the glutes. Examples of these include clamshells, fire hydrants, and banded walks.

In addition to exercise, it's also important to address your posture and sitting habits to prevent further imbalances. This could include incorporating regular breaks throughout the day to stand up and stretch, adjusting your workspace to ensure proper alignment, and incorporating exercises to help counteract the effects of sitting.

Lastly, it's important to be patient with the process and not get discouraged if progress is slow. It may take some time and consistency, but with dedication and a targeted approach, you can help re-activate your left glute and improve your overall muscle balance.

Best of luck on your journey to a stronger, more balanced body.