chrisman2121 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pricing- Packages vs. single sessions

Hello!

Just hoping what my fellow trainers think about this topic and what has worked for you...hoping to get a little advice as well.

I live in an area with a median annual income of $110,00 per year. I train mostly kids, ages 7-18, but also adults. Most people have no problem paying for a package (it appears!).

I sell a single session for $75/hour. Some clients I can retain for a very long time, but most do 4-8 sessions and quit, some are sporadic with their appointments.

I'm wanting to get more regular clients who are more serious, so I thought of packages. What do you think of these options? Which would work best for you? Any ideas of the pros and cons of each one?

OPTION 1:

$75 per hour

OPTION 2:

6 hours for $480. ($80/hr rate)
    12 hours for $900. ($75/hr rate)
    18 hours for $1,260. ($70/hr rate)

OPTION 3:

First, a trial lesson. If you like it, then buy a package below:

8-hour package. $320 up-front PLUS $40/hour each session ($80/hr. rate)
    16-hour package. $600 up-front PLUS $37.50/hour each session ($75/hr. rate)
    24-hour package $840 up-front PLUS $35/hour each session ($70/hr. rate)

Here's what I think of each option.

OPTION 1 - the pros are it's simple to understand, easy to start and continue, less initial expense, accessible to non-serious people, and higher margins. The cons are students are irregular, higher up front cost, fewer clients, and my energy being wasted on non-serious people.

OPTION 2 - Pros are longer client retention and I only deal with committed students. Saying "I won't work with you unless you buy a package" makes clients respect you more and increases your value. Cons are up front expense, difficult to get new clients and difficult to renew after the package is up. Also, if clients don't know me would they be willing to pay that much money before meeting me? Or just go to someone else who offers a single session?

OPTION 3 - Pros are longest client retention, less money up front than option 2. Cons are they could drop out halfway through or might not want that many hours (and I'd lose clients up front).

ANY THOUGHTS ON THESE IDEAS? WHAT WORKS FOR YOU? It's a difficult balance of getting the client you want vs. working with what clients are willing to give you. Plus if I go with packages I'd have to switch everyone over to it.

Thanks for the thoughts! Good luck out there!