timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Help with workout program, thanks

Hello, this seems like a good place to post this question. Apologize for length and detail I only posted once on here years ago and got attacked for lack of detail.

Looking for some help to find a program that works into my schedule and is most effective.

Here's the details.
    I've been working out consistently for about 10 years. It is part of my life but not at all obsessive I'm 50 years old My goals are to continue build muscle mass as I age, and focusing on flexibility also mobility. Also, to be honest little bit of vanity would like to look good and healthy.

Through the years of used many different programs, I like programs that spelled out for me what to do I just find it easier since this isn't an area that I consider myself an expert. But I have studied it and have a pretty good idea of all the other information out there.

I'm 6 ft and weigh 230 I struggle with weight which I know is about nutrition. I have logged my food for 10 years it's just a constant struggle for me. This is just information My question isn't about nutrition.

My work schedule realistically allows me to work out 4 days a week sometimes 5 The problem is all four of those days are in a row.
    I workout Monday through Thursday and sometimes on Friday.
    I presently do weights 4 days a week I'll give more detail at the bottom, along with some kind of yoga or stretch routine. I don't do much cardio anymore my job is pretty physically demanding so that's my justification.

I have about an hour and 15 minutes I dedicate to working out in the mornings. About 45 minutes of that is weight training. I workout at home I have a bench and dumbbells. I do the core workers part of the yoga and stretching aspect of my workout.

I just think that my present weight training that I've been doing isn't probably the most effective way for my particular schedule to see results. Just looking for some wisdom.

My concerns/ thoughts only working the muscle groups once a week seems like I could get more benefit by working them out multiple times a week?
    I also know I need to give a break after working a muscle group and with me working out 4/5 days in a row a week it's hard to put that break in there.

Would I be better off doing a full body three times a week?
    Or maybe doing less exercises and focusing on two major muscle groups per workout?

Here's my presently do.

Monday - arms - standing curl, progressive set. 15, 12, 8 - 8, 12, 15 reps

Tricep extensions- single set, 15, 12, 8, 8 reps

Another standing curl but focusing on the negative, 5, 5,5,5,5 reps

Skullcrushers - single set 15, 12, 8, 8 reps

Isolated hammer curl - progressive set 15, 12, 8, 8,12, 15 reps

That's an example of what the workouts are like that I do, I can give more detail if needed.
    Tuesday - back
    Wednesday - legs
    Thursday - chest
    Friday - shoulders

Thanks for any help, and ideas as part of the conversation.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're 100 percent correct that working a muscle only one time a week is not the best way to train. It will work but its certainly not the best. Everything really depends on how much progress you've actually made over the years. I've seen lifters who have been working out for 20 years but still cant hit intermediate lifts by the numbers.

Here's the basic guide line I use

Novice programs- under a year of productive/progressive training. Under a 225 bench, 315 sq, 405 DL.
    Intermediate upper/lower- 1-2 years of real training and consistent diet. Lifts are over the above and there fore you need a split routine because training everything at once is too overwhelming. (Lyle Mcdonalds GBR, F5 UL, 5/3/1 BBB)
    Intermediate/advanced- 3+ years of training/diet. Usually getting too strong for a basic upper/lower. PHAT or a heavy light program comes into play. Fierce 5 Lower/upper/LPP does this perfectly by using push pull legs as lighter days by design.
    Advanced/advanced - Specialization cycles, block training, rotate muscle groups while maintaining others. (Very few lifters will benefit from this).

As far as diet I usually bounce from 12 to 15 percent but that is where I feel good. If you're over 20 you'd want to cut where as nothing good happens over 20 percent.
    Last edited by TAWS6; 03-18-2023 at 01:07 PM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you’re doing a bro split you should make better use of exercises available. Your choice of arm exercises isn’t great so if the rest of your split days are similarly chosen in terms of variation, I’d give it more thought.

timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmyuser will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks

Thanks for the information and the overview, along with some of the options depending on where I'm at in the process.
    Looking through the different programs in your suggestions probably that would work best for me would be something like the upper lower 4 day split.

The question would be as I try to use the 4 days I have to work out effectively, obviously in anything like this the one you take a rest day. Example on the upper lower split. The suggestion would be to workout Monday Tuesday then rest Wednesday workout Thursday Friday.

The problem with that is I'm trying to utilize the four days I have to work out effectively. If I was to do something like the upper lower split and didn't use a rest day on Wednesday what I have diminishing returns because of the non-rest day?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by timmyuser View Post
    Thanks for the information and the overview, along with some of the options depending on where I'm at in the process.
    Looking through the different programs in your suggestions probably that would work best for me would be something like the upper lower 4 day split.

The question would be as I try to use the 4 days I have to work out effectively, obviously in anything like this the one you take a rest day. Example on the upper lower split. The suggestion would be to workout Monday Tuesday then rest Wednesday workout Thursday Friday.

The problem with that is I'm trying to utilize the four days I have to work out effectively. If I was to do something like the upper lower split and didn't use a rest day on Wednesday what I have diminishing returns because of the non-rest day?
    Lesser returns in the long run maybe, but it is what it is. You may fare better making the first 2 days heavier days and second 2 lighter - or reducing volume a bit overall. It’s not that big of a deal really, until it is.

Or just do a more thoughtful bro split, or a thoughtful 4-day full body.

Also, just because you have 4 days straight to workout doesn’t mean you have to. You could just as easily do a PPL 3 of the 4 days too.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think having the rest day on Wednesday is important. A basic upper lower done m/t/t/f is going to check all the boxes of a good frequency with high enough volumes and also enough rest. Just think that’s one less day of putting stress on your joints and connecting tissue. If you want to work out on Wednesday I’d do some light cardio.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If I was to do something like the upper lower split and didn't use a rest day on Wednesday what I have diminishing returns because of the non-rest day?
    What difference does the answer make if you have no choice? Do what everyone does: work with what you have available to you.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

William929 is a complete loser! (-2000) William929 is a complete loser! (-2000) William929 is a complete loser! (-2000) William929 is a complete loser! (-2000) William929 is a complete loser! (-2000) William929 is a complete loser! (-2000) William929 is a complete loser! (-2000) William929 is a complete loser! (-2000) William929 is a complete loser! (-2000) William929 is a complete loser! (-2000) William929 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Hello, this seems like a good place to post this question. Apologize for length and detail I only posted once on here years ago and got attacked for lack of detail.

Looking for some help to find a program that works into my schedule and is most effective.

Here's the details.
    I've been working out consistently for about 10 years. It is part of my life but not at all obsessive I'm 50 years old My goals are to continue build muscle mass as I age, and focusing on flexibility also mobility. Also, to be honest little bit of vanity would like to look good and healthy.

Through the years of used many different programs, I like programs that spelled out for me what to do I just find it easier since this isn't an area that I consider myself an expert. But I have studied it and have a pretty good idea of all the other information out there.

I'm 6 ft and weigh 230 I struggle with weight which I know is about nutrition. I have logged my food for 10 years it's just a constant struggle for me. This is just information My question isn't about nutrition.

My work schedule realistically allows me to work out 4 days a week sometimes 5 The problem is all four of those days are in a row.
    I workout Monday through Thursday and sometimes on Friday.
    I presently do weights 4 days a week I'll give more detail at the bottom, along with some kind of yoga or stretch routine. I don't do much cardio anymore my job is pretty physically demanding so that's my justification.

I have about an hour and 15 minutes I dedicate to working out in the mornings. About 45 minutes of that is weight training. I workout at home I have a bench and dumbbells. I do the core workers part of the yoga and stretching aspect of my workout.

I just think that my present weight training that I've been doing isn't probably the most effective way for my particular schedule to see results. Just looking for some wisdom.

My concerns/ thoughts only working the muscle groups once a week seems like I could get more benefit by working them out multiple times a week?
    I also know I need to give a break after working a muscle group and with me working out 4/5 days in a row a week it's hard to put that break in there.

Would I be better off doing a full body three times a week?
    Or maybe doing less exercises and focusing on two major muscle groups per workout?

Here's my presently do.

Monday - arms - standing curl, progressive set. 15, 12, 8 - 8, 12, 15 reps

Tricep extensions- single set, 15, 12, 8, 8 reps

Another standing curl but focusing on the negative, 5, 5,5,5,5 reps

Skullcrushers - single set 15, 12, 8, 8 reps

Isolated hammer curl - progressive set 15, 12, 8, 8,12, 15 reps

That's an example of what the workouts are like that I do, I can give more detail if needed.
    Tuesday - back
    Wednesday - legs
    Thursday - chest
    Friday - shoulders

Thanks for any help, and ideas as part of the conversation.

Hi Everyone

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Upper/Lower/Rest/Full Body. Add in some sprints and cardio when you can - military members still run several times a week despite a physically demanding job.