BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Zercher squats as a main lift?

So long story short back squats hurt my wrist and elbows to the point it makes training my quads a waste because I don’t get close to enough effective volume.

No amount of stretching or “mobility work” has gotten me to a point they are at least trainable.

Front squats are a little better but I require straps and it just feels awkward.

Overhead squats are going to be limited as well in terms of weight used.

I don’t have access to an SSB at the moment.

So that leaves zerchers as an option. What are y’all thoughts? I would still have a secondary quad movement so this wouldn’t be my only knee extension movements”, but it would be the only actual squat I use.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Doable but there are a couple of things to aware of.

Some people can't tolerate the discomfort in the crook of their elbow. Myself, I felt no discomfort all the way up to 365lbs but that's when arm strength became a limiting factor for me.

Core bracing is different. The bar is pressed up against my abs and it was painful to hold a full breath. I'd have to let out air after I unracked.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Usually people find Zerchers to be more awkward than the alternatives you mention, but as long as you're looking at it as a quad exercise in your program, and not a replacement for back squats per se, should be fine.

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Do you have access to a front squat machine?

Very comfortable way to load your quads heavy
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If back squats give you elbow issues, I would imagine Zerchers would be worse in the long run.

I would either suck it up and keep front squatting while working on mobility or just switch to rear foot elevated split squats while still working on mobility just for your general health and wellness.

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For guys that don't compete in PL, I don't get the whole "Main lift & accessory lift" thing.
    You want your main lift to be the one where you use more weight or it is the most fatiguing.
    So why shouldn't Zercher be a main lift?

Can't you use those pads for Zerchers that some use for back squats? They should eliminate a lot of possible elbow pain.

@Camarija
    Isn't that a V-squat or hack squat but you just stay opposite?
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Can't you use those pads for Zerchers that some use for back squats?
    No. It opens up the arms and you'll lose the bar.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Also, not sure if anyone mentioned this yet...

Safety Squat Bars were invented for this.

The best on the market is the Marrs Bar.

Amazing for replicating low bar back squats, and if you flip it around it's just as amazing for front squats.

At the Arnold this weekend the company unveiled the Higgy Bar, which is exactly like the Marrs Bar but smaller, lighter, more compact. 35 lbs instead of 65 lbs.

Well worth the investment if you want to continue free weight squats long term.

@Camarija
    Isn't that a V-squat or hack squat but you just stay opposite?
    There are different versions of the machine.

All have the option to use it facing out, but the mechanics of using the machine this way makes your hips push back out, making it less quad dominant, more hip dominant.

Some versions of the machine, like the Precor Power Squat, have extra shoulder pads so you can perform front squats facing towards the machine. I prefer this movement because you can make it more quad dominant by keeping your hips forward and shooting your knees forward. Also facing in forces you to practice a little more core stability. If you have poor form it turns into a good morning.

*edit*
    Missed the SSB comment in the first post
    Last edited by Camarija; 03-05-2023 at 12:44 PM.
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► Progress Pictures

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Zerchers are a great main lift.
    Dont need to back/front squat at all, fine to 1to1 replace.
    Great sub if you lack the ext rotation to rack a solid back squat atm. Z's Wont aggregate that specific issue

Be warned they will hammer your mid erectors hard!

Knee sleeves are a good shout. So would an axel bar.
    Taken over 200kg for sets this way.

For a fun alternative. On the spot Zercher marches! These will toughen your hips up just like yoke

Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    The best on the market is the Marrs Bar.
    Never heard anyone say this before.
    Its a decent bar but not an ssb replacement.
    I certainly don't agree this time.

Like the spider bars! Its not really even proper a ssb.

Can't you use those pads for Zerchers that some use for back squats? They should eliminate a lot of possible elbow pain.
    Actually yes. Takes the edge off the knurl
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 03-05-2023 at 01:23 PM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Rock lifts.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Front Squats with a cross-arm/bodybuilder/California Style is my go to front squat "grip." I can never get the strap thing down and I'm always too lazy to get my wrists flexible enough for an olympic style.

I think you could do zerchers too just maybe change your training philosophy. Maybe add in more intensity techniques or super set with other lifts. Maybe even do pre-exhaust work first and put zerchers at the end of your work. I could get away with a routine like this pretty easily and the weight could be a little more manageable.

Leg Extensions supersetted with Goblet Squats (just drag a dumbbell to the machines if too far)
    Lying Leg Curl supersetted with RDL's or Plie Squats
    Paused Zercher Squats ramp up to a max set of 8, then drop sets or reverse down
    Hack Squats or Leg Press

Mark Dugdale on Elitefts keeps a pretty detailed log of how he programs. Might be a good read for you. Best of luck!
    https://www.elitefts.com/author/mark-dugdale/page/2/
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Never heard anyone say this before.
    Its a decent bar but not an ssb replacement.
    I certainly don't agree this time.

Like the spider bars! Its not really even proper a ssb.
    That's fair brother, it's not a real safety squat bar like EliteFTS or Crepinsek

I just find it to be more comfortable, and it happens to be more versatile than the others

Only other alternative I could think of for a heavy quad dominant movement that isn't too hard on the wrists and elbows would be a platform elevated trap bar deadlift. Where you can start the movement with the most knee flexion you're comfortable with driving through your quads.

► Progress Pictures

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I guess it would depend what you want to really get out of the squat, what the reason for squatting is. Personally I do them just for quads, but I also like a little bonus in the trap area, so I clean them from the floor into front squats. If those weren't an option, i'd elect for cross grip to void flexibility issues. If fronts were not doable, i'd go for either barbell hack squats, belt squat, or perhaps dumbbell squat if you have heavy enough ones to fit the rep range. They actually feel pretty good.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261