Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Barbell Row/Bench Superset Warm Up Question

I'm gonna be programming barbell rows superset with barbell bench for a while and see how it goes, from both a time efficiency standpoint and the theory that Brian Alsrhue used in one of his old barbell row videos of it carrying over to his bench in that order (I'll see how it goes for myself).

My question is in regards to warm ups on both these movements, I usually do one warm up on rows and bench typically calls for multiple warm ups sets...would I be able to get away with less warm ups on bench to match it more with the warm up on row since that's gonna be the starting movement? Any insight on this is appreciated.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try it and see, your insight on what you need (and maybe Brian Alsrhue’s) is the only one that matters especially since you’ve given no details on anything.

Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Try it and see, your insight on what you need (and maybe Brian Alsrhue’s) is the only one that matters especially since you’ve given no details on anything.

When I originally bench before doing barbell rows in straight sets of each I would do 4 warm up sets before my working bench sets and 1 warm up set on barbell row before the working sets. My question is since I'm reversing the order with barbell rows before bench and supersetting them I'm wondering if I should match my bench warm up to somewhat match my barbell row warm up assuming I'm supersetting the warm up weight(s) on both as well.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    (and maybe Brian Alsrhue’s)
    He was the guy that came to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8R...z4fPmC8AhjDoaA

I don't have the specific video so you're going to have to look.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Do 4 sets of warm up rows back to back with your 4 bench warm up sets.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Opossum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicidGriMe: Opossum
    MTpockets: Owl
    Air2Fake: Wesel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Mark1T: Black Labrador retriever
    Paulinanas: Coyote
    Sails: Wlf

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    He was the guy that came to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8R...z4fPmC8AhjDoaA

I don't have the specific video so you're going to have to look.
    It's in this video specifically, but there's no mention of the warm up portion which was why I asked the question...

https://youtu.be/k_Dz8TADiNM

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Do 4 sets of warm up rows back to back with your 4 bench warm up sets.

That's probably the logical warm up approach to this type of superset, I wasn't sure if adding more warm ups to barbell row would burn out my working sets on them since I usually bench first and warm up less on rows, but I'll give that a try.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    When I originally bench before doing barbell rows in straight sets of each I would do 4 warm up sets before my working bench sets and 1 warm up set on barbell row before the working sets. My question is since I'm reversing the order with barbell rows before bench and supersetting them I'm wondering if I should match my bench warm up to somewhat match my barbell row warm up assuming I'm supersetting the warm up weight(s) on both as well.
    I understand that, and I suggested you try it & see how it works out. People often act like they're going to spontaneously combust if they implement something they're thinking about doing.

If you're truly worried about burning out your working sets you wouldn't be supersetting BP and bb rows in the first place.

icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've done that program from him several times throughout the years. I did the same amount of warm up sets with each exercise. Use the same percentages with each exercise during warm up and working sets for equal reps.
    Official Supp. Misc Beer Crew

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them
    Iron fist to claim it all

I understand that, and I suggested you try it & see how it works out. People often act like they're going to spontaneously combust if they implement something they're thinking about doing.

If you're truly worried about burning out your working sets you wouldn't be supersetting BP and bb rows in the first place.

Fair enough, I misunderstood your previous post and what you were getting at, I have no problem trying different things, but was acquiring about what was the best approach to supersetting the warm ups since I was used to the pairing of how I originially implemented the previous exercise order for a while, but I got a good answer on how to apply them and gonna give it a spin.

Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    Fair enough, I misunderstood your previous post and what you were getting at, I have no problem trying different things, but was acquiring about what was the best approach to supersetting the warm ups since I was used to the pairing of how I originially implemented the previous exercise order for a while, but I got a good answer on how to apply them and gonna give it a spin.
    Warmups are highly individual since how much you feel you need to get your muscles ready & how much will fatigue you will vary from person-to-person (both physically and mentally), and is largely dependent on how heavy someone is lifting.

If your row is so light that you only need 1 warmup set, but you need 4 warmup sets to work your way up to BP working weight - IMO it doesn't make sense to add 3 more row warmup sets just to match it... especially if you're doing this to prioritize rows over BP. I'd just add the 1 warmup set as a superset with the 4th BP warmup set.

But like I said, just try out however you want to do it... it's not a big deal. You're allowed to change your mind mid-way through warmups based on feel.

Warmups are highly individual since how much you feel you need to get your muscles ready & how much will fatigue you will vary from person-to-person (both physically and mentally), and is largely dependent on how heavy someone is lifting.

If your row is so light that you only need 1 warmup set, but you need 4 warmup sets to work your way up to BP working weight - IMO it doesn't make sense to add 3 more row warmup sets just to match it... especially if you're doing this to prioritize rows over BP. I'd just add the 1 warmup set as a superset with the 4th BP warmup set.

But like I said, just try out however you want to do it... it's not a big deal. You're allowed to change your mind mid-way through warmups based on feel.

My row definitely needs some catching up to match my bench (which is why I wanted to prioritize it first and also perhaps get some benefit of warming the shoulders on bench after the rows with the supersets) so I'll try warming up the two movements with the strategy you posted above until the rows catch up more.