mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

You choice for an economical low cost of ownership awd hatch?

I may need another vehicle for work purposes. This one would see a good amount of miles put on, and I would want something that is not going to break the bank with use. So low cost of ownership overall, fuel, maintenance, depreciation, etc. I need AWD because of the northeast and a hatch because I hate trunks.

I am leaning towards a slightly used Lexus UX to take advantage of the unlimited Lexus CPO warranty considering the miles I would put on, as well as the 39mpg, and low depreciation of Toyota/Lexus products. What else would you consider? The size of the UX has got me nervous. Explorer and Yukon are my other two rides recently, neither is good for this scenario, but I like the size, the older VW CC which I have feels cramped AF TBH. I just don't know if the extra cost in gas, tires, etc is worth going larger with the miles I'd put on this vehicle. Probably consider a new loaded Sportage Hybrid or Highlander Hybrid if I am thinking bigger. Could go full EV, perhaps a Tesla Y, but I fear these things will see massive depreciation as Tesla catches up with demand and more EVs hit the market.

What else should I consider and why?

JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I took a look for you, and certified preowned UX awd is not a good deal when a brand new UX hybrid awd is only $6k more. The trunk in the UX is also tiny, and the interior quality is below average lexus standards.

A brand new rav4 hybrid fits your needs better and has a bigger trunk and more ground clearance. Gets the same 39mpg, starts at $31k, awd, low running costs, and has a bigger aftermarket support for offroad mods.

Either way test drive them and see which you like better.

bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    My daily is a bronco sport. Paid $34k new, 28mpg average and I hit 21 traffic lights each way to and from work. I'm 6'3" 245 and fit in it very comfortably, although not a lot of room for a back seat passenger, and I've been through about a half dozen snowstorms in it and it handled them with no problems

mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JIA View Post
    I took a look for you, and certified preowned UX awd is not a good deal when a brand new UX hybrid awd is only $6k more. The trunk in the UX is also tiny, and the interior quality is below average lexus standards.

A brand new rav4 hybrid fits your needs better and has a bigger trunk and more ground clearance. Gets the same 39mpg, starts at $31k, awd, low running costs, and has a bigger aftermarket support for offroad mods.

Either way test drive them and see which you like better.
    I mean the Rav makes a lot more sense when you put it that way. I guess I just feel I am a bit too good for it TBH. Hate how that wildland or wildwood or whatever version with the AT tires and beefier roof rack doesn't allow you to get leather, and how the MPG drops so much from just those two things. When looking Lexus and you bringing up the 6k cost difference for new, I just wish the new had the unlimited mileage warranty, the peace of mind of that would be nice for this vehicle that I will probably be logging 25-50k miles a year on. And on the price difference between the Toyota and Lexus I am thinking it's not all down the drain as I will resell the Lexus for more than the Toyota, although I am aware luxury depreciates more.

No easy choice here, hence the post. Thanks for the thoughts.

Originally Posted by bigcat3655 View Post
    My daily is a bronco sport. Paid $34k new, 28mpg average and I hit 21 traffic lights each way to and from work. I'm 6'3" 245 and fit in it very comfortably, although not a lot of room for a back seat passenger, and I've been through about a half dozen snowstorms in it and it handled them with no problems
    Not a fan of Fords. My Explorer has been one of the worst vehicles I have owned. Now with that said I like the Bronco sport, think it's a really neat alternative to the Escape. And would consider it if it had a hybrid powertrain option like the Escape. For this use of vehicle and the gas I'll be going through, I need MPG into the 30s minimally, especially for a vehicle that small. Highlander hybrid can get mid 30s and offers much more space.

JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JIA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Then jump to a NX300h? There's one in the country certified pre-owned that's $36k. It gets about 30MPG combined. The difference between UX and NX is big enough to be worth it. But most Lexus 4 cylinders take premium gas only whereas their hybrids and V6s can handle regular 87. The UX is really slow(0-60 8.7sec) and loud(nvh 72.5 decibels at 50mph, louder than a camry) and I just found out based on the corolla platform and its awd is based on the prius' and not a real awd.

If I were you though and had to drive that many miles I'd find a certified ES300h(44MPG) and forego the awd and hate for trunks. The longer wheelbase and lower cog means smoother and quieter(71 dB @ 50mph) highway trips so you're less fatigued from driving. I believe they all come with Lexus safety 2.5 with adaptive cruise which is a must for someone like you. The rear seats don't fold though.

mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've mentioned the Mazda 3 AWD turbo hatch on other threads in here - still loving mine - 2021, bought new for ~$32, if I recall. Prices spiked of course, after, so don't know how much back to normal they are. But fun car. Can't speak to long term cost of ownership though.

Originally Posted by JIA View Post
    Then jump to a NX300h? There's one in the country certified pre-owned that's $36k. It gets about 30MPG combined. The difference between UX and NX is big enough to be worth it. But most Lexus 4 cylinders take premium gas only whereas their hybrids and V6s can handle regular 87. The UX is really slow(0-60 8.7sec) and loud(nvh 72.5 decibels at 50mph, louder than a camry) and I just found out based on the corolla platform and its awd is based on the prius' and not a real awd.

If I were you though and had to drive that many miles I'd find a certified ES300h(44MPG) and forego the awd and hate for trunks. The longer wheelbase and lower cog means smoother and quieter(71 dB @ 50mph) highway trips so you're less fatigued from driving. I believe they all come with Lexus safety 2.5 with adaptive cruise which is a must for someone like you. The rear seats don't fold though.
    NX is on my consideration list, MPG greatly increased in 2022, up to 39mpg. Wish there was more CPO inventory of 2022s, would help with price, car market is just insane right now.

freeburn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) freeburn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) freeburn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) freeburn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) freeburn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) freeburn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) freeburn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) freeburn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) freeburn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) freeburn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) freeburn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I got a saburaru impreza hatchback for the same reason.

- awd
    - folding seats for hatchback, I was able to fit a 65inch TV in the box in the back.
    - gas milage around 24, a little over 30 on highway
    - limited model has good modern features, auto led headlights that turn with the wheel, adaptive cruise, lane assist, etc.
    - had remote start installed goat for winter

Got mine, 2019 limited for 22k otd brand new about a month before covid locked everything down, sticker was 31k

It drives fine, great in snow, barely anything for maintenence. I only have 13k miles on mine though so I haven't owned it for a ton of driving, but I did drive it to Ohio and Arkansas without issue from NJ.

It's a decent enough car, can easily find them for 20kish with low milage.
    Sometimes I park in handicap spaces, while handicap people make handicap faces