tram900 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells locks broken

Hi,

I have a pair of 40kg/90lb adjustable dumbbells but recently the dumbbells are not holding the weighted plates and the lock seems to be broken. Every time I adjust the weight for a working set, the weights slide off. I have tried countless times to remove the weights and try again but same thing happens. The lowest weight is the 5kg dumbbell and from this all the other weights are carried but as explained they do not carry and fall off. Does anyone knows if its possible to replace the 5kg portion of both adjustable dumbbells as from this all the other weights are loaded? Can anyone assist me in this?

The dumbbells were a gift. They look like they are from Bowflex or another company as the look of the dumbbells matches exactly what they offer.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It'd be pretty clear on the dbs if they were Bowflex, so you probably have a cheap knockoff.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    It'd be pretty clear on the dbs if they were Bowflex, so you probably have a cheap knockoff.
    And even if they are Bowflex, they aren't known for their durability. I'd replace them with PowerBlocks, Ironmasters, or Nuobells.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Brother it was not a cheap knock off as the dumbbells were over £400. They were fine for 6 months or so but now the lock being broken on both sides.

bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tram900 View Post
    Brother it was not a cheap knock off as the dumbbells were over £400. They were fine for 6 months or so but now the lock being broken on both sides.
    Well considering the 90 pound Bowflex 1090s retail for $800, yes, they are probably knockoffs of dumbbells that are known to fail to begin with.

Unfortunately you are almost certainly better off buying something else. But, if you insist, you could try this guy: https://www.averagejoeinnovations.com/#1090 Being they are probably knockoffs, there is no guarantee this would work.

bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    And even if they are Bowflex, they aren't known for their durability. I'd replace them with PowerBlocks, Ironmasters, or Nuobells.
    Nuobells are junk. They use plastic nubs as cam followers to extend and retract the weight shafts. It's not a matter of if they fail, it's a matter of when, and when they do they are not serviceable so you need a whole new handle.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    An overpriced knockoff then? Not sure that makes it better. 6 months is about how long a knockoff should last, both locks broken is clearly not a fluke.

I’ve had a pair of Bowflexes for almost 3 years, but you have to be gentle with them.

Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone know what UK website I can get the whole handle replaced?

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone know what UK website I can get the whole handle replaced?
    Don't waste your money or your time, you will be back at square one in a couple of months, the new handles will almost certainly develop the same issues.

As already advised, write these db's off and invest in either a set of Powerblock or Ironmaster db's, both are extremely reliable and more importantly safe. "Buy Once, Cry Once".

Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    Don't waste your money or your time, you will be back at square one in a couple of months, the new handles will almost certainly develop the same issues.

As already advised, write these db's off and invest in either a set of Powerblock or Ironmaster db's, both are extremely reliable and more importantly safe. "Buy Once, Cry Once".
    Stay away from the urethane Powerblocks, though (now called "Pro"). They can crack and fail where the urethane attaches to the rods because the underlying steel plates don't extend out to the rods and the urethane can degrade as it ages. The steel ones should last longer and they are cheaper. More susceptible to damage from dropping, though.

Dude you don't even know the knockoff brand you have, don't worry about getting replacement parts for it since they won't be a perfect match mechanically.

Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Brother it was not a cheap knock off as the dumbbells were over £400.
    "Cheap" is a relative term. That's inexpensive compared to the Bowflex 90 lb. set.

They were fine for 6 months or so but now the lock being broken on both sides.
    Sadly, that's pretty typical of even the honest-to-God Bowflex product, from what I've read.

I'd asked, in another thread, in response to another comment, "What's wrong with Bowflex?" Somebody replied they'd never seen a set on display in a store that wasn't broken. Thought about that, then realized I hadn't, either.

I've a 45 lb. set of Hoit/Ironmaster adjustable DBs. Wouldn't mind having another set of adjustable DBs for convenience. And maybe someday I will. But they won't be Bowflex, much less a Bowflex knockoff.

I commiserate with you over your broken DBs, but, I suggest pursuing repair is probably a waste of time.

I was surprised at how much good weight gear costs--unless you can find a good deal on used gear locally.

Originally Posted by Michiganian View Post
    I was surprised at how much good weight gear costs--unless you can find a good deal on used gear locally.
    In the long run, good gear saves money. But, expensive gear does not always correlate to good gear, as evidenced by Bowflex 1090s. And after seeing a broken Nuobell torn apart I have no doubt they will earn a reputation similar to Bowflex in the coming years.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hi,

I have a pair of 40kg/90lb adjustable dumbbells but recently the dumbbells are not holding the weighted plates and the lock seems to be broken. Every time I adjust the weight for a working set, the weights slide off. I have tried countless times to remove the weights and try again but same thing happens. The lowest weight is the 5kg dumbbell and from this all the other weights are carried but as explained they do not carry and fall off. Does anyone knows if its possible to replace the 5kg portion of both adjustable dumbbells as from this all the other weights are loaded? Can anyone assist me in this?

The dumbbells were a gift. They look like they are from Bowflex or another company as the look of the dumbbells matches exactly what they offer.
    Hi I would suggest looking about on Craigslist or Offerup for Powerblock 50s, they are usually fairly inexpensive but offer a fantastic value. I have seen these as low as $100. Often "The Block" model is like $200 but it can vary.

Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    In the long run, good gear saves money. But, expensive gear does not always correlate to good gear, as evidenced by Bowflex 1090s. And after seeing a broken Nuobell torn apart I have no doubt they will earn a reputation similar to Bowflex in the coming years.
    IMO if Bowflex had a big warning label attached to them when you buy them to "Handle these like a newborn baby" it'd help user experience. I knew they weren't durable when I bought mine for my COVID gym, so made sure to turn the locks smoothly and not bang them around. Back at the gym now but pretty sure I could keep them going for many years if I needed to.

Didn't like PowerBlocks because it looks like you couldn't do exercises where you might want to hold them in a non-traditional way other than by the handles.

The only issue with powerblocks is that they go up in 4-5kg increments. That is a lot on dumbbells. The bowflex ones go up by 2-2.5kg.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The only issue with powerblocks is that they go up in 4-5kg increments. That is a lot on dumbbells. The bowflex ones go up by 2-2.5kg.
    No, PowerBlocks are adjustable in 2.5 - 5 lb increments. You can figure out the conversion from freedom units.

Bro the ones I am looking at go up in 4-5kg. 10lb increases.

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My PowerBlocks went up in 5lb increments. There were 2.5lb adder weights that went in tubes in the handle. They worked nicely. I had an older set that went from 5-85lbs. They were upgradable to 120lbs. I thought all PowerBlocks were adjustable in 5lb increments. They had a set from 3-21lbs that I think went in 3lbs.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181