MikePK56 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lifting plan? (Long read)

Hi, so I've been doing stronglifts for a little over 2 months now. I plan to stay on it for 3 months. Workouts are starting to take a bit longer than I like. I've been thinking about what plan to move on to as the weights are getting heavier and I need longer rest times. As I am pretty busy with work and life in general, I was planning to switch to 3x5 or 4x5. But I was a bit worried that 3x5 wont be enough volume so I was going to go with the rep scheme of greyskull which is 2x5 with the 3rd set being as many reps as I can do. I also thought 4x5 would still take a little long thats why I thought to switch to 3x5. So I am going back and forward with those 3 rep schemes. Also, I thought about making a 3 day, upper/lower and full body switch.

Monday - Barbell Bench Press, Pentaly row (or DB row), Barbell overhead press and going to throw in some type of bicep work.

Wednesday - Barbell back squat, dumbbell lunge (3x8 instead), barbell hip thrust (3x8 or 3x5, cant decide but leaning towards 3x8 for hip thrust)

Friday - Same exercises as Monday but I will throw in the barbell squats for my legs.

I didn't like how on stronglifts I would bench press and ohp once a week on some weeks. I understand they both are push movements but emphasis more on other.

So basically, I know any program will work for beginners as long as I am consistent and do progress overload. Just wondering if this would be okay as the workout plan I mentioned? Also, what is some cons and pros for the rep/set schemes I've mentioned if any and which would you prefer? 3x5, 4x5 and 3x5+

Thank you for your time reading!

Edit: Male 26 years old, 5'9 and currently 205lbs. I am trying to cut down to 180lbs.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Instead of f'ing up both programs, why not just run Greyskull if you don't like the SL setup?

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    3x5 has always worked the best for me. Even late into intermediate. Its just so much easier to add weight to a set of 5 vs 8, 10, or 12's. I'm a big believer in running a program until you can't complete the workouts. IE novice 2-3 day full body until its too taxing, then move to an intermediate upper/lower split. Once that's too much you can move onto split routines or spec cycles. Just run the routines as written and you'll be fine. Also don't expect much while dieting down.

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MikePK56 View Post
    But I was a bit worried that 3x5 wont be enough volume
    This seems to be a common thought. Not sure where it comes from.

It's plenty, especially when the weights get heavy enough.
    Currently cutting.

Originally Posted by Spanishdream View Post
    This seems to be a common thought. Not sure where it comes from.

It's plenty, especially when the weights get heavy enough.
    For me, just being a beginner and probably overthinking it. Just caught up in the doing around 25 reps like I've been doing with stronglifts 5x5.

Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    3x5 has always worked the best for me. Even late into intermediate. Its just so much easier to add weight to a set of 5 vs 8, 10, or 12's. I'm a big believer in running a program until you can't complete the workouts. IE novice 2-3 day full body until its too taxing, then move to an intermediate upper/lower split. Once that's too much you can move onto split routines or spec cycles. Just run the routines as written and you'll be fine. Also don't expect much while dieting down.
    Yeah, I'm not expecting to get big while cutting. I just don't want that skinny fat look that I've always end up getting into.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Instead of f'ing up both programs, why not just run Greyskull if you don't like the SL setup?
    I guess because I thought i should be doing bench press and ohp twice a week instead of once. But that's just me overthinking and being ignorant.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I guess because I thought i should be doing bench press and ohp twice a week instead of once. But that's just me overthinking and being ignorant.
    Well you should do what keeps you interested & motivated to work out. But all else being equal, you'll probably be better off doing Greyskull as written over SL with or without any modifications you make.

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    For me, just being a beginner and probably overthinking it. Just caught up in the doing around 25 reps like I've been doing with stronglifts 5x5.
    Ah, makes sense.

If you compare the progression on Stronglifts to something like Fierce 5, you're putting more weight on the bar quicker with Fierce 5. Volume isn't everything. Less is sometimes more.
    Currently cutting.

Originally Posted by Spanishdream View Post
    Ah, makes sense.

If you compare the progression on Stronglifts to something like Fierce 5, you're putting more weight on the bar quicker with Fierce 5. Volume isn't everything. Less is sometimes more.
    Yeah, I do like how Fierce 5 has more exercises. I noticed the main lifts are 3x5. I might follow the Phraks Greyskull LP since they follow 3x5+ but add bicep curls and dips as my accessory. SL didnt have any primary bicep work and it was starting to take too long where adding accessory wouldnt work out. I didn't see Fierce 5 or greyskull when I first started out or else I would have started with one of those two.