Registered User userJQFFRPGZJ9D's Avatar
    userJQFFRPGZJ9D is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Is it safe and effective to workout the chest, back, and lower body on the same day?

I am a man who is 6’2 tall and 285lbs with over 35% body fat. I’m trying to lose weight and build muscle at the same time. I have the body of a linebacker(DT), very large/beefy frame. I don’t play football though. I have wide shoulders, my waist is just as wide as my shoulders, and my belly sticks out a little bit when standing up. When I sit down, my waist, belly, and back fat expands. When laying down, my belly flattens out, but my waist stays the same. I also have a lot of stubborn fat in my chest.
    My goal is to slim down to 12%-15% and reach a body weight of 225–240lbs. If I can get to 225lbs and look ripped or 240lbs and look jacked I would be happy. I’m currently going to the gym and doing a combination of cardio and resistance training, while following a high-protein, low-carb diet. I started out at 298lbs and losing more weight. I’m starting to see some muscle definition in my arms, shoulders, and calves and my belly is slimming down. I’ve also dropped down one pants size.
    My current routine is to do 2 full body workouts a week, then one push isolation day, one pull isolation day and one lower body isolation day. I’m also doing 1 hour of low-intensity cardio 5 days a week. This routine is taking a toll on my arms and shoulders. I want to change this routine to 3 days of large muscle group workouts and 2 days of small muscle group workouts. Is it safe and effective to workout the chest, back, and lower body all in the same day? Also, is it safe and effective to workout the biceps, triceps, deltoids, and abs in the same day?
    Disclaimer: Please disregard the age on my profile. I am not 52 years old. I am 29 years old. I just created this account today and I don’t know how to change the age.
    Last edited by userJQFFRPGZJ9D; 12-01-2022 at 01:27 PM.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by userJQFFRPGZJ9D View Post
    I am a man who is 6’2 tall and 285lbs with over 35% body fat. I’m trying to lose weight and build muscle at the same time. I have the body of a linebacker(DT), very large/beefy frame. I don’t play football though. I have wide shoulders, my waist is just as wide as my shoulders, and my belly sticks out a little bit when standing up. When I sit down, my waist, belly, and back fat expands. When laying down, my belly flattens out, but my waist stays the same. I also have a lot of stubborn fat in my chest. My goal is to slim down to 12%-15% and reach a body weight of 225–240lbs. If I can get to 225lbs and look ripped or 240lbs and look jacked I would be happy. I’m currently going to the gym and doing a combination of cardio and resistance training, while following a high-protein, low-carb diet. I started out at 298lbs and losing more weight. I’m starting to see some muscle definition in my arms, shoulders, and calves and my belly is slimming down. I’ve also dropped down one pants size. My current routine is to do 2 full body workouts a week, then one push isolation day, one pull isolation day and one lower body isolation day. I’m also doing 1 hour of low-intensity cardio 5 days a week. This routine is taking a toll on my arms and shoulders. I want to change this routine to 3 days of large muscle group workouts and 2 days of small muscle group workouts. Is it safe and effective to workout the chest, back, and lower body all in the same day? Also, is it safe and effective to workout the biceps, triceps, deltoids, and abs in the same day?
    It works but it's probably not going to be as efficient as something more along the lines of upper/lower. It also kind of matters what your training level is. If you're beginner or novice, it probably would be more feasible than if you're strong enough to where sufficient recovery between sessions becomes problematic on a full-body routine. What are some examples of your strength level at various major lifts?

With the goal of losing 40-60 pounds though, I'd put the premium on diet over the fine details of the training itself, especially if you're not quite intermediate yet. The more advanced you are, the more technicalities of training matter, but unless you are a rank beginner, you're not going to be getting any stronger while losing that kind of weight, and maintaining quality mass requires much less stimulus than gaining, so I wouldn't really be concerned with that side of things as long as you're training holistically and eating your minimum of protein.

The copypasta of this forum is just to track your calories in a deficit and run Fierce 5.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    why would it not be safe to train like that? isn't that basically what a full body program does? and why not just do full body 3x a week if you're just starting out? i mean keep doing that if you enjoy it, but i don't see any other reason to not keep it simple as a beginner

and not to discourage you or anything, but realistically you won't be 12-15% at 225-240 pounds as a natural lifter. you'll need to cut down much more if you want to be lean. i recommend that you cut down to 180-200 lbs without worrying about a certain bf%, and then go from there

reading it back, this post came off as "bad vibes", but i didn't mean it like that

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You'll need to get a lot lower than 225 to be 12%. Your goal should be primarily fatloss right now with muscle maintenance. You can run a BIG calorie deficit with that much fat on you without losing muscle. Get in your protein in and if you're sedentary outside the gym get out and walk every day to make up for it.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is it safe and effective to workout the chest, back, and lower body all in the same day? Also, is it safe and effective to workout the biceps, triceps, deltoids, and abs in the same day?
    You're approaching programming wrong if you're thinking in terms of "safety" & "effectiveness", especially in terms of body parts rather than specifics. Try a proper novice program.

Registered User userJQFFRPGZJ9D's Avatar
    userJQFFRPGZJ9D is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    If you're beginner or novice, it probably would be more feasible than if you're strong enough to where sufficient recovery between sessions becomes problematic on a full-body routine. What are some examples of your strength level at various major lifts?
    I am a beginner lifter. I don’t do deadlifts or barbell squats. I was involved in a work related accident 9 months ago and injured my lumbar, right hip, and left shoulder. Was recently removed from physical therapy about a month ago. My doctors told me to avoid lifting anything heavy off the ground or above my head. They want me to focus on using machines rather than lifting free weights because they are unstable, which increases the risk for injury.
    I am lifting a little bit of free weights for my chest and arms. My chest is certainly one of my weakest areas. On the bench press, I can only lift 65lbs with an 8 rep max for 3 sets. I can’t do a regular push up or body weight dips. I’m only able to do knee push ups. 3 sets of 10 on a good day. For dips, I use the assisted dips machine and set it to 150lbs. I can do 5 reps max on it. Another weak area of mine is the lower abs. I can do a max of 10 hanging knee raises. I can only do 3 hanging leg raises at a time though. On the contrary, my upper abs are much stronger. I can do 50 sit ups at a time, 20 crunches at 160lbs on the ab crunch machine, and 20 cable crunches at 87.5kgs.
    My strongest area is the legs. On the leg press, I can lift 450lbs for 20 reps and 5 sets. On the hack squat, I can do 5 sets of 15 at 180lbs. Second strongest area is my back. On the lat pulldown, I can do 5 sets of 10 at 115lbs. On the seated rowing machine, I can do 5 sets of 10 at 52.5kg.
    On my full body days, I focus on doing 2 or 3 exercises for each muscle group at 5 sets. On isolation days, I do 5 or 6 exercises for each muscle group.
    Last edited by userJQFFRPGZJ9D; 12-01-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am a man who is 6’2 tall and 285lbs with over 35% body fat. I’m trying to lose weight and build muscle at the same time. I have the body of a linebacker(DT), very large/beefy frame. I don’t play football though.
    I'm always bewildered when I hear things like this.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    I'm always bewildered when I hear things like this.
    Then you'll be troubled to know that I'm 38% bf with the body of an olympic gymnast, except that I don't do gymnastics.

People underestimate exactly how strong & relatively fit those giant linebackers are given what they have to do all game.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My goal is to slim down to 12%-15% and reach a body weight of 225–240lbs. If I can get to 225lbs and look ripped or 240lbs and look jacked I would be happy.
    I would honestly adjust your expectations and goals. If you're somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-40% at 285 pounds you'll have to lose at least 100 pounds to likely be anything close to 12-15% bodyfat.

Unless you have a long and extensive history of strength training, you likely have a lot less muscle than you think.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100) GinaPitterson is not very well liked. (-100)
    Yes, but be gentle to your body.