deeejo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Little Progression and Incline Barbell Versus Dumbbell

Hey,

Quick question for anyone willing to take a look at this.

I have been lifting on an off for years. I have had set-backs with injuries, etc. from time to time as well, which has led me to going up and down with my strength.

My question is though....I have been fairly recently able to reach 80lbs for 6 on dumbbells for incline press (as an example). Which for me was a PR. I'm around 170lbs, 5"9. The problem is....I can't sustain it. I always seem to slowly loose that strength. Also, When I switch it up and go to barbell incline press, I can only manage to do around 150 for 6 or so. It this due to my form? Nutrition? Or that I just suck? I try to get a decent amount of protein, although I won't lie and say I hit the 1g per pound of body weight.

Maybe this can all be chalked up to my nutrition, but just wondering if any has any comments/suggestions. Also, I wonder how much genetics may play a role in me just hitting a point where going any heavier might just be extremely slow/non-existent.

Thanks!

Deeejo

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That's a pretty good incline press!

Without knowing other details about your programming, it's kind of a shot in the dark but I would tentatively think it could have to do with being bottlenecked by the rest of your training. If you only do incline presses and lack proficiency with other major movement patterns, then it can hold you back.

We've all heard about (or been) the guy who gets stuck on bench, starts squatting seriously, and then his bench takes off. I won't pretend to know how that specifically works but it's pretty established as a general rule of thumb.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It could be form or diet or overall workout plan.

Generally speaking, are you looking to build muscle or build strength?

I'd argue that most natrual guys under 180 lbs do not need to go much heavier than 80's on incline DB press if bodybuilding is their goal.

If strength is your goal, I'd argue you'd need a strength routine... and a strength routine that focused on the DB incline press as it's prime move would be pretty crappy...
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    We've all heard about (or been) the guy who gets stuck on bench, starts squatting seriously, and then his bench takes off. I won't pretend to know how that specifically works but it's pretty established as a general rule of thumb.
    Erm….you what m8?
    Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post
    It could be form or diet or overall workout plan.
    This is true.

Generally speaking, are you looking to build muscle or build strength?

I'd argue that most natrual guys under 180 lbs do not need to go much heavier than 80's on incline DB press if bodybuilding is their goal.

If strength is your goal, I'd argue you'd need a strength routine... and a strength routine that focused on the DB incline press as it's prime move would be pretty crappy...
    This is however not true. You cannot separate strength from size. And the only way a natural lifter gets bigger is by getting stronger, and you only get stronger by getting as big as possible. One supports the other.
    Originally Posted by deeejo View Post
    Hey,

I have been lifting on an off for years. I have had set-backs with injuries, etc. from time to time as well, which has led me to going up and down with my strength.

My question is though....I have been fairly recently able to reach 80lbs for 6 on dumbbells for incline press (as an example). Which for me was a PR. I'm around 170lbs, 5"9. The problem is....I can't sustain it. I always seem to slowly loose that strength. Also, When I switch it up and go to barbell incline press, I can only manage to do around 150 for 6 or so. It this due to my form? Nutrition? Or that I just suck? I try to get a decent amount of protein, although I won't lie and say I hit the 1g per pound of body weight.

Maybe this can all be chalked up to my nutrition, but just wondering if any has any comments/suggestions. Also, I wonder how much genetics may play a role in me just hitting a point where going any heavier might just be extremely slow/non-existent.

Thanks!

Deeejo
    Sounds like you just had a great day when you were pressing and could go a little heavier than normal, TBH.

Hate to be that guy, but…. What does your program look like?
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 11-21-2022 at 06:01 PM.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

deeejo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Erm….you what m8?

This is true.

This is however not true. You cannot separate strength from size. And the only way a natural lifter gets bigger is by getting stronger, and you only get stronger by getting as big as possible. One supports the other.

Sounds like you just had a great day when you were pressing and could go a little heavier than normal, TBH.

Hate to be that guy, but…. What does your program look like?
    So my program basically looks something like this:

Incline press 4-6, 6-8
    Flat press 4-6, 6-8
    Tricep push downs 6-8, 8-10
    Hammer curls 6-8, 8-10
    Rear delt flyes 15,5,5,5

Leg press 4-6, 6-8
    Bulgarian split squats 4-6, 6-8
    Pistol squats
    Leg extensions 6-8, 8-10
    Calf raises 12-15, 12-15. 12-15

Shoulder press 4-6, 6-8
    Cable rows 4-6, 6-8
    Dips 4-6, 6-8
    Barbell curls 4-6, 6-8
    Lat raises 15,5,5,5

I would switch up some of the keys movements from barbell to dumbbell or dips to something else, etc. I’m mainly going for strength.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everyone hits a point where going heavier is slow/non-existent, otherwise we'd all be benching 1,000 lbs after years of lifting. You're likely not there yet though.

So my program basically looks something like this:

Incline press 4-6, 6-8
    Flat press 4-6, 6-8
    Tricep push downs 6-8, 8-10
    Hammer curls 6-8, 8-10
    Rear delt flyes 15,5,5,5

Leg press 4-6, 6-8
    Bulgarian split squats 4-6, 6-8
    Pistol squats
    Leg extensions 6-8, 8-10
    Calf raises 12-15, 12-15. 12-15

Shoulder press 4-6, 6-8
    Cable rows 4-6, 6-8
    Dips 4-6, 6-8
    Barbell curls 4-6, 6-8
    Lat raises 15,5,5,5

I would switch up some of the keys movements from barbell to dumbbell or dips to something else, etc. I’m mainly going for strength.
    If you're not happy with your progress (or lack thereof), switch to a proper program. That one could use much improvement. Make sure your form on any exercise you're not happy with is dialed in, and make sure you're eating towards your goals.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dumbbells train grip strength a lot more than barbells which stimulates core stability as you manage the dumbbells. The grip on the barbell is different though so it isn't stimulating the core strength when you push.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Erm….you what m8?
    Generally, I mean the bro talking point about squats and deadlifts for CNS adaptation positively affecting everything else, but AFAIK that's a contentious claim, so I didn't want to mention it by name, as I'm honestly not really educated on the whole matter beyond the dubious T-Nation articles I stopped reading years ago. All I know is that I've seen it happen many times anecdotally, so in a caveated, imprecise way it's still valid to mention IMO.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Erm….you what m8?

This is true.

Why then do there exist sub 200lb people who can bench, squat and deadlift high numbers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l84vmuuuHRg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0YcR2Bau5Q
    https://www.strongfirst.com/how-you-...-deadlift-too/

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Generally, I mean the bro talking point about squats and deadlifts for CNS adaptation positively affecting everything else, but AFAIK that's a contentious claim, so I didn't want to mention it by name, as I'm honestly not really educated on the whole matter beyond the dubious T-Nation articles I stopped reading years ago. All I know is that I've seen it happen many times anecdotally, so in a caveated, imprecise way it's still valid to mention IMO.
    Core strength.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.