total007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I am literally gonna lose my mind cuz of Leg press

Hello everybody!

I had a terrible incident at the gym while doing 45 degrees leg press, first i hate leg presses so i would always do the lovely free weight barbell squat, but recently i operated my shoulder and am not allowed to squat with barbells or even dumbbells' yet, anyway so had to relay on leg press to replace the squats.

On this Friday i was doing unilateral leg presses with 140kg, for 15 reps, 5x sets, and i was doing this routine for 6 weeks already and this was the last day before i move to a new routine, and after i was doing the last rep of the 5th set of my leg press i hyperextended my left leg and it got locked out, AND I KNOW SO WELL THAT I NEVER SHOULD LOCK OUT MY KNEE ON A LEG PRESS, but i just dont freaking know how this happened to me, i just do not know, of course my leg got extended and stuck so i did slide myself out of the machine, I SAW MY OWN LEGS SO HYPEREXTENDED looked like horror show.

I got so scared and was literally shivering after what happened to my left leg, but surprisingly i did not feel any pain after or during and i can do all kind of movement without any problems today.

Before anybody talk about weights, just one day before the incident i had strength test done by & under the supervision of my Physiotherapist and was able to press 360kg for 10reps, if i am an ego lifter i will just do bilateral with like 400kg or something

I just did ACL reconstruction surgery on June/21 and after i was just finished with my long rehab process, i got an injury on my shoulder as i play SQUASH intensively and had to operate in September/22, my main sport is Squash which i compete on a state level.

My questions:
    1- did i f*ck my knee/myself or u think i was lucky to go out of this with "probably" no harm? i was just rediclously excited to get back to squash stronger and better physically. after the incident i can move well, no pain, not swollen, can full extend and flex, but i did MRI to check further.
    2- i train legs twice to three times a week for almost one year and a half with a private personal trainer, so i progressed in weights slowly, and i just do not understand how, HOW did my knee get locked out in a matter of second while i am always so focused, i am so stupid to let this happen..................
    3- i am trying to forget the incident but is making me feel so sad, the day after the incident, literally was shivering and in a state of shock that i probably just threw away nearly a year and a half of rehab to the trash, especially that i was dreaming of getting back to my beloved sport squash as soon as i am done with the rehab for both ACL & shoulder....

Info about me:
    29 yrs old, male
    74kg & 175cm
    Had complete meniscectomy on my lateral meniscus - Left knee when i was 13 years old "football"
    ACL construction on my right knee June 2020 "football"
    Shoulder: Glenoid labrum & Slap tear repair, Sept/2021 "Squash"
    Multiple Sclerosis patient since 2017
    Last edited by total007; 11-19-2022 at 04:00 PM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your 3 Qs aren't actually Qs, but if you have no pain, no ROM limitations, no visible issues & did an MRI, I wouldn't dwell on it. Might have gotten lucky this time.

Probably want to go light the next couple of workouts to test it out, and be more careful particularly if you had ACL reconstruction. Set your feet higher on the platform, you shouldn't be hyperextending unexpectedly.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Warning for gen pop

Normal people can lock their knees out.
    Not an issue for 99%+ of people.
    Who don't have a congenital issue or previous injury.

Op.

If your dr told you that after your reconstruction you shouldn't, then. Oops. Unlucky.
    Keep training.
    Back on the horse ect.
    Just limit exertion & workload and build back up
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Whoever started that “never lock your knees on the leg press” crap needs to get punched in the goddamn face. Really f!cking hard.

But it is true you should never hyperextend your knees. But if your in no pain, understand sh!t happens in training and keep going, and know better for the next time.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So wait why was it like a horror show again?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Your 3 Qs aren't actually Qs, but if you have no pain, no ROM limitations, no visible issues & did an MRI, I wouldn't dwell on it. Might have gotten lucky this time.

Probably want to go light the next couple of workouts to test it out, and be more careful particularly if you had ACL reconstruction. Set your feet higher on the platform, you shouldn't be hyperextending unexpectedly.
    Thx mate for your reply, i am waiting for the results of the MRI yet, hope i just got lucky

and thank you for your advice about the feet placement, i am gonna take this time to rest until i get my MRI

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Warning for gen pop

Normal people can lock their knees out.
    Not an issue for 99%+ of people.
    Who don't have a congenital issue or previous injury.

Op.

If your dr told you that after your reconstruction you shouldn't, then. Oops. Unlucky.
    Keep training.
    Back on the horse ect.
    Just limit exertion & workload and build back up
    thanks mate for your response, actually i was instructed by my physio not surgeon about not to lock out my knees on leg presses or even leg extensions

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Whoever started that “never lock your knees on the leg press” crap needs to get punched in the goddamn face. Really f!cking hard.

But it is true you should never hyperextend your knees. But if your in no pain, understand sh!t happens in training and keep going, and know better for the next time.
    ye my friend, is a big debate about locking out the knees or not, i did my best to be on the safe side but like u well said "**** happens"

will be back after i get my MRI, hopefully nothing happened.

thank you for your reply

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    So wait why was it like a horror show again?
    cuz i saw my knee hyperextended fully, it looked so so ugly, sadly i cannot post pictures here otherwise i would have sent u ones from similar accidents