Freitas12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New Dad…even less time…

Hey Guys. Looking for some advice with modifying my workout. Just had a kid so I won’t be able to go as much as I currently do. Here’s a cliff notes versions of my current workout routine. Each workout takes roughly 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. I go 3-4 days a week currently.

Day 1
    Chest.
    6 workouts. Bench for 6 sets, rest are three sets. 20 push ups between sets.

Day 2
    Legs
    6 workouts. Squats for 6 sets, rest are three sets. 20 claves between sets.

Day 3
    Biceps and shoulders.
    6 workouts for shoulders and 4 for biceps. Three sets of 10 for all except shoulder press is six sets.

Day 4
    Triceps and back.
    6 workouts for back and 4 for triceps. Three sets of 10 for all except rows for six sets.

My goal is to cut down to even two days a week for lifting and to maintain what I worked for. I do cardio and abs on days off. I’m 5’8”, male, and don’t have the generic gift for big muscles. Been lifting for 17 years (I’m 31) to get what I have. I don’t want to lose it. Current bench Max is 325 with a body weight of 175. (Strongest workout for an idea). Any help is appreciated. By the way I know I won’t have gains, just want to maintain since if I miss a week I feel it is very noticeable.

Thanks,

Ben

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hard to give feedback on "cliff notes" but it doesn't look great especially since 3-4 days at 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hrs each is a good amount of time. Your setup looks more like cardio.

That being said, if your current proper 1RM on bench is 325 @ 175 & your other lifts are similarly advanced, keep doing what you know works for you.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bravo on that bench with that bodyweight! That's my TNG max and I'm nowhere near that light.

1+ hour sessions 4x a week hardly sounds time-restricted to me, though? What exactly is the problem, besides likely having to be interrupted at random?
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I’d probably just run an upper lower. Set days and if you miss a workout you’re still getting the same frequency as now. You might even do better with something other than a bro split.

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Bravo on that bench with that bodyweight! That's my TNG max and I'm nowhere near that light.

1+ hour sessions 4x a week hardly sounds time-restricted to me, though? What exactly is the problem, besides likely having to be interrupted at random?
    It’s a combo of things. I work in Boston but live far away. I don’t have space at my house for a home gym so going to the gym adds even more time and less flexible with workout times. I just want to plan for the worst as get on a two day routine. So regardless of strength level, can you recommend any two day routine that wojld at least maintain (I would adjust weight levels to fit me).

Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    I’d probably just run an upper lower. Set days and if you miss a workout you’re still getting the same frequency as now. You might even do better with something other than a bro split.
    What’s a bro split lol? So, your saying do one day all upper body and one day all lower? That would put three of my days into one. Or keep seperating but alternating with legs?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Hard to give feedback on "cliff notes" but it doesn't look great especially since 3-4 days at 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hrs each is a good amount of time. Your setup looks more like cardio.

That being said, if your current proper 1RM on bench is 325 @ 175 & your other lifts are similarly advanced, keep doing what you know works for you.
    By cliff notes I’m just not telling you I’m doing shoulder presses for whatever weight then curls for whatever. What can I change to make it not cardio? Am I doing too many workouts per muscle group?

My other lifts aren’t that advanced. Just always had a good bench, not sure why.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Freitas12 View Post
    By cliff notes I’m just not telling you I’m doing shoulder presses for whatever weight then curls for whatever. What can I change to make it not cardio? Am I doing too many workouts per muscle group?

My other lifts aren’t that advanced. Just always had a good bench, not sure why.
    Probably because (like a lot of people), you make BP a priority while things like leg day are lucky if they even happen. :P And yes, it sounds like you're doing a bunch of unnecessary volume each day.

Regarding cliff notes: If your very specific goals are to cut down to 2 days/week & to keep what you have, it's hard to recommend a workout without having an idea of what you currently "have" in terms of strength & muscle, and exactly what you're currently doing. Right now it's just a 325 bench - but if your other lifts aren't advanced at all & you're doing a bunch of junk isolations then you won't need to do much to maintain that.

Regardless, for 2 days/week in the gym you should focus on your big lifts. Since you don't have room at home for equipment, get a pair of adjustable dbs at home and do curls, triceps isos, lateral/rear delt raises, shrugs, pushups, etc. on off days here & there when you can.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    This makes the most sense. Knock out 2-3 compounds and call it a day. Save the fluff for later when you have time. You'll probably actually see gains because you'll be increasing frequency for your lower body if you approach it correctly and eat properly.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What’s a bro split lol? So, your saying do one day all upper body and one day all lower? That would put three of my days into one. Or keep seperating but alternating with legs?
    A bro split is where you only directly train a muscle once per week. Since a muscle group never takes a week to recover most of the week is wasted away. A basic upper day would consist of bench, incline, lat pulldown, rows, curls, press downs. Both upper days can be different or the same. I always preferred different. So Mon flat bench/incline db, thur incline/flat db press ect. Hope that answers your q.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bro split

Monday we hit chest
    Tuesday we do back
    Wednesday we skip legs
    Thursday we smash delts
    Friday we get and arm pump before the bar
    Saturday we recover from the sesh
    Sunday we eat like crap

Repeat
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Congratulations Daddy!

Um, you're probably not going to like my suggestion, but, given your time constraints, consider "Full Body"?

You won't be able to bang 'em as hard as you're used to but at least you'll be bangin' *everything* a coupla / three times a week.

You'll only have time for one exercise for each major body part (but that exercise can vary from day to day). You're seasoned so you can work out the details; e.g., sets/reps/etc.

Time limit curfew; consider super-setting between "pull - push" pairs. It's a real time saver and it can be genuine make-believe cardio to boot :-)

BTW: I like "grouchy's post:

Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post
    This makes the most sense. Knock out 2-3 compounds and call it a day. Save the fluff for later when you have time. You'll probably actually see gains because you'll be increasing frequency for your lower body if you approach it correctly and eat properly.
    Last edited by joewattie; 11-19-2022 at 02:03 PM.
    joe Henry

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Bro split

Monday we hit chest
    Tuesday we do back
    Wednesday we skip legs
    Thursday we smash delts
    Saturday we recover from the sesh
    Sunday we eat like crap

Repeat
    Lmao

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    I had a dumb ass room mate in the college dorms. That ^^^ sums up his entire weeks workout.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey Guys. Looking for some advice with modifying my workout. Just had a kid so I won’t be able to go as much as I currently do. Here’s a cliff notes versions of my current workout routine. Each workout takes roughly 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. I go 3-4 days a week currently.

Day 1
    Chest.
    6 workouts. Bench for 6 sets, rest are three sets. 20 push ups between sets.

Day 2
    Legs
    6 workouts. Squats for 6 sets, rest are three sets. 20 claves between sets.

Day 3
    Biceps and shoulders.
    6 workouts for shoulders and 4 for biceps. Three sets of 10 for all except shoulder press is six sets.

Day 4
    Triceps and back.
    6 workouts for back and 4 for triceps. Three sets of 10 for all except rows for six sets.

My goal is to cut down to even two days a week for lifting and to maintain what I worked for. I do cardio and abs on days off. I’m 5’8”, male, and don’t have the generic gift for big muscles. Been lifting for 17 years (I’m 31) to get what I have. I don’t want to lose it. Current bench Max is 325 with a body weight of 175. (Strongest workout for an idea). Any help is appreciated. By the way I know I won’t have gains, just want to maintain since if I miss a week I feel it is very noticeable.

Thanks,

Ben

Congratulations on the new addition to your fam. Enjoy it!

Won’t be long til your kid is lifting with you.

I missed a lot of lifts during the early years but I rarely miss now, took me really committed to early am lifts before everyone was awake.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!