Registered User GH5lhan05hO5GXs's Avatar
    GH5lhan05hO5GXs is on a distinguished road. (+10) GH5lhan05hO5GXs is on a distinguished road. (+10) GH5lhan05hO5GXs is on a distinguished road. (+10) GH5lhan05hO5GXs is on a distinguished road. (+10) GH5lhan05hO5GXs is on a distinguished road. (+10) GH5lhan05hO5GXs is on a distinguished road. (+10) GH5lhan05hO5GXs is on a distinguished road. (+10) GH5lhan05hO5GXs is on a distinguished road. (+10) GH5lhan05hO5GXs is on a distinguished road. (+10) GH5lhan05hO5GXs is on a distinguished road. (+10) GH5lhan05hO5GXs is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Best macros for clean bulking.

Hi all, what is the best Macro for clean bulking?

Protein: 35%
    Carbs: 40%
    Fat: 25%

or

Protein: 40%
    Fat: 20%

Are any of those good or other suggestions?

Thanks!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    There is no need to use percentages. You need to meet or exceed sufficient levels of protein (1.6g per kg of bodyweight) and fat (about 0.8g / kg)

You can use any combination of macros that achieve this whilst meeting your calorie target.

"bulking" should be approached cautiously unless you are very underweight. Piling weight on can be mostly fat, keep your calories to maintenance or very slightly above as much as possible whilst still making progress in the gym

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You don't need more than 0.7g/lb (1.6g/kg) protein or 1g/lb (2.2g/kg) at the most.

I ended my last bulk at 180lb and needed 3700 daily calories to gain 0.5lb per week on average. Eating on the low end of optimal protein intake, that would be 126g protein or just under 14% calories from protein and eating at the high end would still only be 180g and under 20% of calories from protein.

On the other hand, when cutting, your protein needs are the same (though some prefer a little higher) while calories are lower, so your protein percentage will be much higher.

Forget percentages, just make sure you meet your protein and fat minimums and focus on hitting your target calories.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    when you say clean bulking, you're not talking about """clean""" foods, right? (c)lean bulking means that your surplus is like 200-300 calories, no matter what foods you get it from

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by GH5lhan05hO5GXs View Post
    Hi all, what is the best Macro for clean bulking?

or

Are any of those good or other suggestions?

Thanks!
    As others have said, do not use %'s to determine your intake.

I would also note that your modifications above are so small, you'd never notice a difference... like at all...

I cannot imagine getting 40% of my intake from protein, i'd be eating like 350g of protein.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

280bit is on a distinguished road. (+10) 280bit is on a distinguished road. (+10) 280bit is on a distinguished road. (+10) 280bit is on a distinguished road. (+10) 280bit is on a distinguished road. (+10) 280bit is on a distinguished road. (+10) 280bit is on a distinguished road. (+10) 280bit is on a distinguished road. (+10) 280bit is on a distinguished road. (+10) 280bit is on a distinguished road. (+10) 280bit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The best diet in general is high carb/low fat.

Carbs are extremely anabolic because your muscles run off glycogen and when in a catabolic state your body will prefer burning carbs over your own muscle tissue.
    Fats are necessary for building hormones and other vital functions, but for sports/fitness are almost useless.

Your protein intake should be along the lines of 1-1.4g/lb depending on if you're massing/cutting. On cuts you should err towards the higher end and vice versa on bulks.

You want around 0.3g/lb of fat as this is near the minimum. If you start to feel miserable or have a decreased sex drive then you can up this a bit, but I wouldn't go over 0.5g/lb.

Having a lower fat consumption means you can invest those saved calories in carbs, which is what the rest of your diet should be comprised of.

Tl;DR: 1-1.4g/lb protein, 0.3g/lb fat and the rest of your daily calories in carbs.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 280bit View Post
    The best diet in general is high carb/low fat.

Carbs are extremely anabolic because your muscles run off glycogen and when in a catabolic state your body will prefer burning carbs over your own muscle tissue.
    Fats are necessary for building hormones and other vital functions, but for sports/fitness are almost useless.

Your protein intake should be along the lines of 1-1.4g/lb depending on if you're massing/cutting. On cuts you should err towards the higher end and vice versa on bulks.

You want around 0.3g/lb of fat as this is near the minimum. If you start to feel miserable or have a decreased sex drive then you can up this a bit, but I wouldn't go over 0.5g/lb.

Having a lower fat consumption means you can invest those saved calories in carbs, which is what the rest of your diet should be comprised of.

Tl;DR: 1-1.4g/lb protein, 0.3g/lb fat and the rest of your daily calories in carbs.
    Gunna disagree with that fat recommendation of .3/lb.

That would mean a 180lb man would only get 54g of fat... that's going to be very difficult to stick to unless you restrict food selection quite hard, and if you're trying to add mass, that doesn't make sense at all.

I would suggest starting higher, perhaps .4g/lb, and just leaving it there. Why risk feeling like crap with the rock bottom number?
    Last edited by AdamWW; 10-21-2022 at 09:54 AM.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by GH5lhan05hO5GXs View Post

or

Those numbers remind me of the labels of dog food for sporting dogs. I used to give my Labrador 27% protein dog food, along with an egg or two every day.
    Current rankings:

EliKoehn: Sparrow
    Steffo: Opossum
    MTpockets: Opossum
    TolerantLactose: Opossum
    Faithbrah: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Opossum
    Air2Fakie: Opossum
    Camarija: Raccoon
    TearsOfIce: Fox
    Paulinkansas: Coyote
    Snails: Wolf