AntGi27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Struggling with my weekly workout routine

Hi, I used to be a very active person in my younger days, but in the mid 20s I was plagued by disease which I came out from years later. But not entirely. Now I'm in my mid 30s and a bit overweight. Which I don't mind all that much, but I'd be quite happy with loosing 10kg. In the past 10 years I have not worked out all that much. And I have a desk job so my activity level was quite low. My main focus would be on gaining my health/stamina back and 10kg off would be a bonus, but not my main focus.

6 months ago I've started weightlifting again. Starting with half an hour sets twice a week. I've felt like doing nothing other sleep and eat at the beginning. I've gained weigh fast.
    I was slowly increasing the time I've spent working out till the end of the month when I've caught Corona. So I've stopped workouts for a month. After that for the past 4 months I've been working out and increasing the time I spend working out and the weights that I lift.
    I'm currently working out 3 times a week for an hour-ish each time. Depending on how fast I can finish my routine.

My issue is that Each time I get used to the weights I increase them so I get a nice workout like I used to in the past. But that puts a burden on my body and I feel sleepy and unmotivated at work. Which makes me depressed. So I was thinking about working out twice a week only for an hour each. To leave more time for regeneration. But that would still make me sleepy the next day.

At the end I've decided to work out every day doing small parts of my previous workouts. Like doing 20 minutes each day but a different muscle. That would mean I'm less tired the next day. And Since I have a whole workout station at home. I don't even need to commute.

I'd like to hear any suggestions or point of views on this approach thanks.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Have a look at All Pros Simple Beginners routine in the sticky threads. It has quite a measured progression method with only one heavy day per week - other days being medium and light days. This can be found in the sticky threads of the Workout Programs forum section.

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Are you cutting/losing weight? You haven't mentioned calories. It's normal for recovery to not be as good when you're in a calorie deficit.

Originally Posted by AntGi27 View Post
    But that puts a burden on my body and I feel sleepy and unmotivated at work. Which makes me depressed. So I was thinking about working out twice a week only for an hour each. To leave more time for regeneration. But that would still make me sleepy the next day.
    How's your diet? Are you getting enough protein? If you are, it might be worth speaking to a doctor. I know you said you had covid which can cause fatigue but you might have some other issues like low B12 or low testosterone levels.

Take a look at All Pros as Suffolk suggested. It's a slower progression than Fierce 5. You might find it easier with only one heavy day.
    Currently cutting.

AntGi27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've lost the weight that I've gained at the start and my diet is normal now as it used to be. Although I still eat some snacks here and there. So even if I'm in deficit it's just a bit.
    I do not supplement my protein levels by anything other than normal food. And I haven't started eating more eggs or anything than normal.

Originally Posted by Spanishdream View Post
    Are you cutting/losing weight? You haven't mentioned calories. It's normal for recovery to not be as good when you're in a calorie deficit.

How's your diet? Are you getting enough protein? If you are, it might be worth speaking to a doctor. I know you said you had covid which can cause fatigue but you might have some other issues like low B12 or low testosterone levels.

Take a look at All Pros as Suffolk suggested. It's a slower progression than Fierce 5. You might find it easier with only one heavy day.
    I wasn't planning on doing a fierce 5. Not sure what it is. I was thinking like every morning I do a 20 minute workout before work. 7 days a week. Which is less than my current routine. Since 7x20=2 hours 20 min and I'm used to doing 3x60= 3 hours. I just subdivide all my previous routine into 20 min chunks and do them daily.
    Although with this type of workout I would feel less tired, my stamina would increase much slower as well.

And Yes I have looked into the all pros program.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've lost the weight that I've gained at the start and my diet is normal now as it used to be. Although I still eat some snacks here and there. So even if I'm in deficit it's just a bit.
    I do not supplement my protein levels by anything other than normal food. And I haven't started eating more eggs or anything than normal.

I wasn't planning on doing a fierce 5. Not sure what it is. I was thinking like every morning I do a 20 minute workout before work. 7 days a week. Which is less than my current routine. Since 7x20=2 hours 20 min and I'm used to doing 3x60= 3 hours. I just subdivide all my previous routine into 20 min chunks and do them daily.
    Although with this type of workout I would feel less tired, my stamina would increase much slower as well.

And Yes I have looked into the all pros program.
    You've said very little about your actual workout details. When someone talks about lifting repeatedly in terms of time spent & stamina it doesn't sound like they're approaching it right.

But since your posts in this thread sound like you've already decided what you're going to do & you're just looking for validation, then by all means give it a try.

togijog is a complete loser! (-2000) togijog is a complete loser! (-2000) togijog is a complete loser! (-2000) togijog is a complete loser! (-2000) togijog is a complete loser! (-2000) togijog is a complete loser! (-2000) togijog is a complete loser! (-2000) togijog is a complete loser! (-2000) togijog is a complete loser! (-2000) togijog is a complete loser! (-2000) togijog is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Hi, I used to be a very active person in my younger days, but in the mid 20s I was plagued by disease which I came out from years later. But not entirely. Now I'm in my mid 30s and a bit overweight. Which I don't mind all that much, but I'd be quite happy with loosing 10kg. In the past 10 years I have not worked out all that much. And I have a desk job so my activity level was quite low. My main focus would be on gaining my health/stamina back and 10kg off would be a bonus, but not my main focus.

6 months ago I've started weightlifting again. Starting with half an hour sets twice a week. I've felt like doing nothing other sleep and eat at the beginning. I've gained weigh fast.
    I was slowly increasing the time I've spent working out till the end of the month when I've caught Corona. So I've stopped workouts for a month. After that for the past 4 months I've been working out and increasing the time I spend working out and the weights that I lift.
    I'm currently working out 3 times a week for an hour-ish each time. Depending on how fast I can finish my routine.

My issue is that Each time I get used to the weights I increase them so I get a nice workout like I used to in the past. But that puts a burden on my body and I feel sleepy and unmotivated at work. Which makes me depressed. So I was thinking about working out twice a week only for an hour each. To leave more time for regeneration. But that would still make me sleepy the next day.

At the end I've decided to work out every day doing small parts of my previous workouts. Like doing 20 minutes each day but a different muscle. That would mean I'm less tired the next day. And Since I have a whole workout station at home. I don't even need to commute.

I'd like to hear any suggestions or point of views on this approach thanks.
    Exercising after long Inactivity can do that, you just have take your time decrease the workout frequency and build it up bit by bit until you're feeling very sleepy.