Thread: Training Advice

bubblemix is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Training Advice

Hi all,

I'm new around here and hoping to get a bit of advice.

I've been losing weight for a few months now, was 310 lbs, now down to 250 and ran my first ever half marathon this year, but I'm trying to get to 200lbs.

Ideally, I would love to be muscular but each time I lose weight, I also lose muscle. I'm a complete novice in the gym but I've been trying but thinking I'm doing it wrong.

Does anyone have any advice / workout suggestions to suggest?

I'm 6ft 2, quite broad. Would love bigger chest, arms and shoulders but just look better is my main aim.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How are you discerning that you're losing muscle? I ask because there really is no way to do that with any accuracy or certainty. Its also quite inefficient for your body to burn muscle vs. fat, so generally the fat stores are going to go first.

There's really only a few things you can do. The first is get enough protein in your daily diet, for you that means around 200gr per day.

The second is to follow a proven strength training program based on progressive overload. If you go to the workout program forum stickies there are several listed (Fierce 5 and All Pro being a couple of the most popular), but there are plenty of others out there as well like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, etc.

The last thing is to just ensure you're not losing weight too quickly, slow and steady wins the race. You can generally safely and sustainably lose about 1% of your bodyweight per week without having to worry about muscle loss.
    IG: @ironhousetraining

All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

bubblemix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    How are you discerning that you're losing muscle? I ask because there really is no way to do that with any accuracy or certainty. Its also quite inefficient for your body to burn muscle vs. fat, so generally the fat stores are going to go first.

There's really only a few things you can do. The first is get enough protein in your daily diet, for you that means around 200gr per day.

The second is to follow a proven strength training program based on progressive overload. If you go to the workout program forum stickies there are several listed (Fierce 5 and All Pro being a couple of the most popular), but there are plenty of others out there as well like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, etc.

The last thing is to just ensure you're not losing weight too quickly, slow and steady wins the race. You can generally safely and sustainably lose about 1% of your bodyweight per week without having to worry about muscle loss.
    Perhaps I'm not losing muscle, but as I'm losing weight, I'm sort of showing almost how not muscular I actually am. Fingers crossed that these workout plans help out with that.

I've been losing weight since the start of the year, 60 lbs so far, and will continue to get rid of it slowly.

Thanks for the tips too, I'll have a good look around now and see if I can make a list of the workouts and take it with me, hopefully see some decent results that make me actually happy with my body again.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bubblemix View Post
    Perhaps I'm not losing muscle, but as I'm losing weight, I'm sort of showing almost how not muscular I actually am.
    This is definitely the case with most people. Unless you have a long history of strength training or have a very active/physical job, the majority of people aren't carrying as much muscle on their frame as they would like to believe.

Just find a program you like and be consistent with your workouts and nutrition. Good luck!
    IG: @ironhousetraining

All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500) RosalynNewton is not very helpful. (-500)
    At least work out 5 days a week

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bubblemix View Post
    Perhaps I'm not losing muscle, but as I'm losing weight, I'm sort of showing almost how not muscular I actually am. Fingers crossed that these workout plans help out with that.
    Along with what you and Squid are getting at, muscle volume has a sliding scale between more soft and more hard tissue. Understandably, one grows and quells at a much faster (and observable) rate than the other.
    Looks good when flexing Crew