krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How can I get big thighs without barbell squat?

Currently I am working on fixing a bad case of cervical kyphosis (military neck) I struggle to get the bar in position without any weight. On the leg press machine I can hit 7 plates on each side for 3x5. Squat machine 5 plates each side 3x5. The rest of my body is developing at an awesome rate and I'm getting stronger. My ass looks good but thighs are wack LMFAO.

Stats M, 5'6'', 170lbs

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You could do goblet squats, sled press, hip adductor and abductor machines (since you're saying hypertrophy is your goal, anyway), leg extensions, lunges, and a litany of other exercises which target the relevant muscles.
    Bench: 325
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If your ass is growing with those lifts but not your legs.

Feet lower on the plates, more knee travel. Possibly add heels. See how that goes first.
    FMH crew - Couch.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    front squat?

ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Who does 3x5 on the leg press? High reps. Sets of 15-20.

Come back in a year.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a name known to all. (+5000) SuicideGripMe is a name known to all. (+5000) SuicideGripMe is a name known to all. (+5000) SuicideGripMe is a name known to all. (+5000) SuicideGripMe is a name known to all. (+5000) SuicideGripMe is a name known to all. (+5000) SuicideGripMe is a name known to all. (+5000) SuicideGripMe is a name known to all. (+5000) SuicideGripMe is a name known to all. (+5000) SuicideGripMe is a name known to all. (+5000) SuicideGripMe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Quads tend to respond better to higher reps. Like others said, play with foot placement on movements. I would do goblet squats or racked KB squats to keep movement patterns correct. Too many leg machines sometimes throws peoples posture out of whack.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Going against the grain here, but you don’t need more reps for quads. Nor do they respond better to higher reps. That will just lead to more local fatigue making recovery that much longer.

No reason why sets of 6-10 won’t build some nasty quads (over time, of course) provided you’re biasing them with good exercise selection and getting with 0-2 reps of failure.

Depending on your build, regular ass BB squats will probably suck for building quads. Cue an above post that mentions elevating the heels to get more forward knee travel.

Or…

If you are blessed enough to have access to a pendulum squat, use it. A decent hack squat will do wonders as well. Leg presses are great provided you keep your feet close and lower on the platform without your heels coming off the sled or your ass rounding off the seat.

And of course the leg extension is a requirement, since none of the above will do sh!t for rectus femoris growth.

Pro tip: if you struggle to get depth in your leg presses, stretch your soleus prior to doing that.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50) krunchymage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post
    Quads tend to respond better to higher reps. Like others said, play with foot placement on movements. I would do goblet squats or racked KB squats to keep movement patterns correct. Too many leg machines sometimes throws peoples posture out of whack.
    What's the difference between a squat press vs squat machine and Squat press vs leg press? I did the Squat press 4x8 Leg press 3x8 Hammy Extension 4x10 Leg Extension 4X8. If done consistently will I get bigger quads and hamstrings.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by krunchymage View Post
    What's the difference between a squat press vs squat machine and Squat press vs leg press? I did the Squat press 4x8 Leg press 3x8 Hammy Extension 4x10 Leg Extension 4X8. If done consistently will I get bigger quads and hamstrings.
    You’re gonna have to give us makes and models of the equipment you’re using for a better answer, otherwise we have almost no way of comparing them.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

ZachTrowbridge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you can't get into a bar on your shoulders for a back squat, tweaking your execution with heel elevation probably won't help much.

I squat a lot less than I used to (herniated discs and due for hip replacement) but a split squat with the front foot up on a bumper plate or low box works tremendously well for quads if you aim to keep your front heel down and get your front hamstring onto your calf. Holding dumbbells at your side shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, you'll get some extra glute loading in the lengthened position too but if you stay pretty nearly upright the quads and adductors will get hit hard too