diploid123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Why am I getting stronger but not bigger?

Hello everyone/ I've been lifting for about 2 years and I'm about the same size as when I started. Right now I'm doing the Fierce 5 Novice 3 day a week. I've been doing it for about a month now. My arm size is about 13 inches. For barbell squats and bench press I'm lifting a little over 225 lbs for 3x5 sets. That's about 90 lbs on each side of the barbell. I thought all that heavy lifting would give me muscle growth. I've been dedicated and almost never missed a workout day. I'd really appreciate your help. Btw I'm in the 20s 6'3 and weight 180 lbs.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by diploid123 View Post
    Hello everyone/ I've been lifting for about 2 years and I'm about the same size as when I started. Right now I'm doing the Fierce 5 Novice 3 day a week. I've been doing it for about a month now. My arm size is about 13 inches. For barbell squats and bench press I'm lifting a little over 225 lbs for 3x5 sets. That's about 90 lbs on each side of the barbell. I thought all that heavy lifting would give me muscle growth. I've been dedicated and almost never missed a workout day. I'd really appreciate your help. Btw I'm in the 20s 6'3 and weight 180 lbs.
    Neural adaptations.

Conversely, you could also get big without getting stronger (in an immediate sense at least). Hypertrophy increases strength potential, but actual strength is often not strictly correlated to how big someone looks. Look up some record holding lifters, and some of them indeed aren't even that big. On the other hand, there are those guys that do pump'n'fluff stuff who look pretty big but are rather weak when it comes to most proper, full range of motion exercises.

So, if you're getting stronger, call it a win. Keep lifting and whatever progress you're capable of will show itself eventually. Also, have a read of this:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=175493881
    Bench: 325
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Get enough protein and take creatine. Those 2 subjects have already been discussed on this forum.
    Furnished rental houses in Coffeyville Kansas. Bills paid, weekly rates, full kitchens, washer/dryer, cable/wifi. For refinery contractors.

diploid123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Interesting. Thank you. So continue increasing the lifting weight right? That will help show my progress?

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by diploid123 View Post
    So continue increasing the lifting weight right? That will help show my progress?
    No. You possibly need to eat more meat. Meat = protein.

I spun my wheels for 2 years lifting and eating dormitory food. No gains. I moved to a house and hung out with people on special vitamins. I ate like they did. I turned into a big mofo.
    Furnished rental houses in Coffeyville Kansas. Bills paid, weekly rates, full kitchens, washer/dryer, cable/wifi. For refinery contractors.