Thomo0642 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question What split you doing?

Evening all,

Need some information on people's experience doing the push,pull legs split. I've been doing this split since I started the gym last month give or take a week. I decided to train the bigger muscles working down to the smaller muscles, however I've found my shoulders are gassed after doing chest my Biceps are gassed on pull day after back. I've really concentrated on making sure my form is correct. Am I doing it wrong ? Is this split more towards the conditioned athelete? Should I be doing push day leg day then pull day to give corresponding muscles a good time to heal ?

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Upper
    Lower + elbow flexors

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Probably the worst split for a beginner. Can be okay for advanced lifters who want more volume per session.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Full body push.
    Full body pull.
    rest a day or two.
    Repeat.
    It won't get you killed.
    Don't rub a lime wedge on some womans bosom on a regular basis and dump salt on it. You can lick the salt off, do a shot of tequila and suck the lime wedge in the womans mouth. The salt can be bad for your health. So can the womans husband. Both can get you killed. Don't ask me how I know.
    Current rankings:

EliKoehn: Sparrow
    Steffo: Opossum
    MTpockets: Opossum
    TolerantLactose: Opossum
    Faithbrah: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Opossum
    Air2Fakie: Opossum
    Camarija: Raccoon
    TearsOfIce: Fox
    Paulinkansas: Coyote
    Snails: Wolf

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Thomo0642 View Post
    Is this split more towards the conditioned athelete?
    I don't think many athletes would choose a PPL. Done properly, it takes a lot of time away from training sports-specific skills.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    1. bench press + deadlift
    2. klokov press and hack squat
    3. pull up, machine row and dragon flag

Plus related accessories including flys, curls, shrugs, laterals, hamstring curls, hip abduction, reverse flys, facepulls
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 09-23-2022 at 04:41 AM.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Evening all,

Need some information on people's experience doing the push,pull legs split. I've been doing this split since I started the gym last month give or take a week. I decided to train the bigger muscles working down to the smaller muscles, however I've found my shoulders are gassed after doing chest my Biceps are gassed on pull day after back. I've really concentrated on making sure my form is correct. Am I doing it wrong ? Is this split more towards the conditioned athelete? Should I be doing push day leg day then pull day to give corresponding muscles a good time to heal ?

Upper
    Off
    Lower+arms
    Off

Repeat
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Current split -
    flexible push/pull (bench and dead) and rest of body hyp/bro days slotted in as schedule permits. .

Favourite split for results -
    4 day fullbody~ with extra gpp sessions.

Favourite split for enjoyment -
    Bulgarian lite style sbd every day with gtg chins.

Not that a split really matters tho without the other 90% of the info.

Bonus. If you're gonna run a ppl.
    Run it legs, push, pull, rest and don't blow your self up with volume
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    4-day UL with arms trained every day.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    4 day upper lower

i wouldn't start with PPL as a beginner, way too much volume and you can make tons of progress on 3x/week full body or upper/lower

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    4 day upper lower

i wouldn't start with PPL as a beginner, way too much volume and you can make tons of progress on 3x/week full body or upper/lower
    Exactly. Start with the lowest volume that you can grow from so when it stops working you can add more.

Fb - upper lower- ulppl-

chezney123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Evening all,

Full body 3x per week alongside 4 runs, 2 bike rides and one swim.

on off days (Weekends) Small tedious work like hips, elbows and wrists.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Lower
    Upper - shoulder focus
    Lower
    Upper - chest focus
    Cardio + abs
    Upper - back focus
    Off

On all of the Upper days, I hit chest, back, and shoulders but do extra for whatever I'm emphasizing. Not worrying about arms, but I hit them occasionally in the afternoons when I have time. Really enjoying it so far. Doing a lot of movements for fun and variety. Planning to cut back down eventually. Not a beginner routine or even one I'd recommend tbh. Just one I'm trying.

With the PPL split it tends to work better around my lifestyle I have looked at comments an come up with a potential new plan thoughts/recommendations appreciated. I try get in the gym 6 x per week it's like my ME time lol.

Day 1
    Chest - Triceps (focusing chest)
    Day 2
    Back - Biceps (focusing on back as arms fatigue quickly light bicep work).
    Day 3
    Shoulders - legs (focusing on shoulders light leg work)
    Day 4
    Rest Day - maybe add some ab/cardio
    Day 5
    Chest - Tricep (focus triceps)
    Day 6
    Back - Biceps (focus biceps)
    Day 7
    Shoulders legs (focus legs)

Mixing legs an upper body a good idea? I guess the only way to know is to try it.
    Last edited by Thomo0642; 09-23-2022 at 03:45 PM.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If it's just "you" time, then it really doesn't matter what you do.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    With the PPL split it tends to work better around my lifestyle I have looked at comments an come up with a potential new plan thoughts/recommendations appreciated. I try get in the gym 6 x per week it's like my ME time lol.

Day 1
    Chest - Triceps (focusing chest)
    Day 2
    Back - Biceps (focusing on back as arms fatigue quickly light bicep work).
    Day 3
    Shoulders - legs (focusing on shoulders light leg work)
    Day 4
    Rest Day - maybe add some ab/cardio
    Day 5
    Chest - Tricep (focus triceps)
    Day 6
    Back - Biceps (focus biceps)
    Day 7
    Shoulders legs (focus legs)

Mixing legs an upper body a good idea? I guess the only way to know is to try it.
    Setting aside the Q of whether you should be lifting 6 days/week if you only started a month ago & what the actual volume/details of your program are, if you're going to work out 6 days/week no matter what, then PPL is fine if not one of the better setups.

It's definitely better than your new & improved one above.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Setting aside the Q of whether you should be lifting 6 days/week if you only started a month ago & what the actual volume/details of your program are, if you're going to work out 6 days/week no matter what, then PPL is fine if not one of the better setups.

It's definitely better than your new & improved one above.
    Trying to find away to workout each muscle twice a week minimising overlapping the one above only an example. When doing PPL my shoulders tire after chest and Biceps after back looking for ways to maximise potential in the weaker muscles. If i allow 48+hr for muscles to heal i feel 6 days isn't to much for a beginner i will listen to my body mind if it's tired ill take a rest day.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Trying to find away to workout each muscle twice a week minimising overlapping the one above only an example. When doing PPL my shoulders tire after chest and Biceps after back looking for ways to maximise potential in the weaker muscles.
    That's a matter of volume, intensity & general programming vs. what's suitable for you, not a fault of PPL. You're too caught up in what split to do & not enough in the details.

If i allow 48+hr for muscles to heal i feel 6 days isn't to much for a beginner i will listen to my body mind if it's tired ill take a rest day.
    The goal isn't to do as much as you can as a beginner, but do what you believe will work for you best. Good luck!

If you stick with lifting, in a few years you’ll look back and probably wish you did a real program from the start. Beginners never want to follow expert advise and always regret it when after a year of training, they still can’t hit a 225 bench and wonder why they are weak.

Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    If you stick with lifting, in a few years you’ll look back and probably wish you did a real program from the start. Beginners never want to follow expert advise and always regret it when after a year of training, they still can’t hit a 225 bench and wonder why they are weak.
    It's odd how many beginners start out with a PPL then feel they can't fit all the upper body volume they need to do into the 4 push/pull days per week, so they add upper body stuff to the 2 leg days too. Maybe we're just slackers?

Thumbs up

That's a matter of volume, intensity & general programming vs. what's suitable for you, not a fault of PPL. You're too caught up in what split to do & not enough in the details.

The goal isn't to do as much as you can as a beginner, but do what you believe will work for you best. Good luck!

I am 100% caught up in what split to go with and apologies I'm currently following the PPL split. Doing 3-4 exercises at 3-4 sets of 8-12reps per muscle. The first 2 weeks I started with very light weight to practise form and get to no different machines/free weight excercises an work out nutrition needs etc. Last 2 weeks I have upped the weight a little continuing the same amount of sets an reps. What split did you follow as a beginner?

It's odd how many beginners start out with a PPL then feel they can't fit all the upper body volume they need to do into the 4 push/pull days per week, so they add upper body stuff to the 2 leg days too. Maybe we're just slackers?
    It’s amazing but you can’t know what you don’t know. (Ie do a damn novice program fierce 5, all pros ect ect ) lol ..A beginner ppl is basically cardio with weights.

Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    It’s amazing but you can’t know what you don’t know. (Ie do a damn novice program fierce 5, all pros ect ect ) lol ..A beginner ppl is basically cardio with weights.

Where can I find the fierce 5 program? I do need to take a step back an start out like a beginner as I am a beginner lol. PPL i guess appeals to us begginers because its simple to remember an follow. Last thing I want is no decent results a year in.

Where can I find the fierce 5 program? I do need to take a step back an start out like a beginner as I am a beginner lol. PPL i guess appeals to us begginers because its simple to remember an follow. Last thing I want is no decent results a year in.
    The best way to choose a program is based on level of advancement. A novice doing a ppl is like a noob swimmer jumping off the diving board.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...2916931&page=1