MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Struggling after vacation

Hello. I’m very new to lifting, and this is my first post in the forum. I’ve lingered and read for a bit.

I went on vacation for the first week and a half of September. I knew I wouldn’t be powerlifting on vacation, and I accepted that fact while simply eating right and at least walking during that time. I did quite well with that and managed to maintain my body composition. I returned from vacation only having to leave home again to housesit for a week. I’ve essentially not lifted for nearly a month now.

I am struggling immensely to get back into a routine. Before vacation, I was lifting 4 x/week, and I was progressing in volume nicely. I’d been getting up early and lifting before work — I had great motivation. I tried about a week ago to pickup where I’d left off before vacay only to find that I was sore like I was when I first started lifting.

Are my expectations too high in thinking I should be able to lift at the same volume and with the same motivation? How do you all handle exercise on vacation and returning to a routine afterward?

I am NOT ready to give up lifting as it has changed my body comp for the better and given me the boost in confidence that I’ve been needing for a long time. And to be frank, I just want to look hot and feel strong as a woman nearing 40.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Coming back to training after taking time off makes the stimulus that you get from training much stronger - like when you first started. This can be a good thing because it takes less work to deliver the same stimulus / effect. So don't worry about not doing so much, in fact you should only need to increase volume when you show signs of stopping responding to the workout. Keep more volume in reserve for when you stagnate.

MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegInOC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Coming back to training after taking time off makes the stimulus that you get from training much stronger - like when you first started. This can be a good thing because it takes less work to deliver the same stimulus / effect. So don't worry about not doing so much, in fact you should only need to increase volume when you show signs of stopping responding to the workout. Keep more volume in reserve for when you stagnate.
    Better news than I expected. Thank you so much!

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think everyone faces this at one time or another, either from vacation, or getting sick, or just life getting in the way. As mentioned above once you start up again it doesn't take much to get back up to speed.

I actually plan my vacations to include my workouts now just to avoid this (and also I just love working out, so I don't ever want to stop just because I'm on vacation). So I'll actually scope out gyms online wherever I'm going and call around to see if they offer day or week passes for visitors (most all of them do).

But in any case, just get back in there and accept that you'll feel weaker and you'll probably tire easily your first several workouts, but it WILL come back to you.
    IG: @ironhousetraining

All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    I actually plan my vacations to involve my workouts…
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. My boyfriend and I travel throughout the year, and I actually started calling gyms last week in the area we’ll be vacationing in next. Luckily, he’s a gym rat, and he’s down to go with me.

I think my biggest thing is remembering that fitness is a journey. I have to be realistic while taking into consideration that I have several things going on right now. But I want to prioritize fitness.