Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need help with macros

Hi all,

I am 51 yo and heading back to the gym after a long hiatus. I am skinny fat. 180 lbs, 18% bf. I look skinny (the fat is concentrated around my belly). A couple of folks on here advised me to gain muscle and then cut as I look skinny already. However, I really want to cut first as the extra fat around my belly (even though it doesn't look too bad), is making me feel uncomfortable (physically - as my core is weak too). I also don't feel like adding more weight to my frame (and thus more fat) as I am already 180 lbs. I will be working out (free weights) - 5 to 6 X a week (push/ pull). I had a few questions:

1) I seem to lose weight at 1800 cals or so. However, how do I make the macros work? If I have to have 1g protein per lb of weight, then I would need 180 grams of protein. That equates to 720 cals. I would be taking around 70 grams of fat, which equates to 630 cals. That leaves around 112 grams for carbs or 450 cals. Does this sound about right to you?

2) Can I decrease my protein intake? Wave Length mentioned that we should take 1g of protein per lb of LEAN TARGET body mass. If I am targeting say 12% body fat and a cut weight of around 160 lbs, then my lbm would be around 140 lbs. Is it okay to drop the protein to 140 lbs? If yes, can I up fats (instead of carbs)?

4) FYI, I am currently in India due a family emergency for around 6 weeks. It is hard to get the right amount of protein here. As a result, I carried a 10 lb bag of protein powder with me to supplement my protein intake. I know that eating food is better, but in the absence of access to protein rich food, is it okay to consume protein powder (I am aiming for 3 scoops or 75 grams a day).

Thanks much for any advice.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you forgot to ask question 3

but yeah, everything seems fine and you got good advice. 140-150g protein is enough and you can have some extra whey for the time being

Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lihkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    you forgot to ask question 3

but yeah, everything seems fine and you got good advice. 140-150g protein is enough and you can have some extra whey for the time being
    Heh! I think I must have accidentally deleted number 3. But thanks much for the confirmation. I will just keep it at 150g for now.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Protein is based on lean mass so you don't need" 180g however when dieting down, more rather than less protein is a benefit due the the high TEF and the satiety qualities
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Protein is based on lean mass so you don't need" 180g however when dieting down, more rather than less protein is a benefit due the the high TEF and the satiety qualities

That's great information. Thanks much.