JohnnyQu1d is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool Overcoming plateau

Current weight: 82,1 kg (181lbs)
    Aprox bodyfat: 15-16%
    Height: 181cm (5-11)

I was bulky at 90-92 kg =200lbs when i decided to lose weight. I lost weight all the way to 80kgs (176lbs) by cutting my calories so low i was losing 1.5 kg per week resulting in me gaining it back to the 86kg(189lbs). I decided to start hitting gym while remaining in cal deficit. Once again ive hit around 1200-1500 cal per day while doing push pull splits(4Xweek). I m really happy with results as i managed to gain muscle while losing fat since im fairly new to regular weightlifting, but i ve hit my plateau at 82kg. I dont move from that number on scale for 2 weeks and its exausting. How do i overcome it? Did i **** up my metabolism by keeping large cal deficit and now my body adjusted, what should i do?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You could be retaining water. How long has your weight been static?

You can't f*** up your metabolism, that's somewhat of a myth, there is a small adaptive component (on average 200 calorie change in TDEE) but it reverses almost as soon as you revert to maintenance.

JohnnyQu1d is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    You could be retaining water. How long has your weight been static?

You can't f*** up your metabolism, that's somewhat of a myth, there is a small adaptive component (on average 200 calorie change in TDEE) but it reverses almost as soon as you revert to maintenance.
    Just weighted mysef today and my scale says 81,5 and yesterday in same time was 82,1. I do drink alot of water tho, 4 liters per day minimum, sometimes during training sessions i end up drinking 3 l so i look bloated af, but in mornings i look alot more shredded then during day.Also taking in account my current weighht how much of a cal deficit you whould recommend and should i do cardio(30/4/12) or push pulls alone are fine?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    2 days is not enough data to see past the day to day noise caused by water weight changes. If you collect 2 weeks of readings and there is no downward trend, perhaps you are plateauing. Sometimes, a temporary break from dieting (eat at maintenance) can cause retained water to drop.

By the way, drinking more water doesn't necessarily mean you retain more and I would never discourage anyone from drinking a sensible amount of water every day - that is more caused by things like stress (caused by dieting), sodium, carbs etc.
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 09-15-2022 at 02:38 AM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JohnnyQu1d View Post
    I do drink alot of water tho, 4 liters per day minimum, sometimes during training sessions i end up drinking 3 l so i look bloated af
    Make sure you're also peeing regularly & you'll be fine.

Leepdub is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hitting a plateau during weightloss is expected and happens to us all. Don't freak out. It's normal.
    I read where u said that you consume very low calories. Im assuming that you thought this would help you to loose weight faster. Severly limiting your calories can possibly mess up your hormone levels from your testosterone to leptin to thyroid hormones.
    Limit your calories but dont limit them so severly that it can cause problems with your hormones.
    You may want to add more protein and more resistance training to your routine. Give it a few more weeks and you should start to see some weightloss.
    Plateaus usually last from 4 to 8 weeks.