Registered User 25catfishperday's Avatar
    25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Let's talk.... Chest (BB Bench vs. Dumbells vs Weighted Push Up's)

What do you guys prefer for your chest pressing movement?

I don't know if it's because I am triceps and shoulder dominant, but it seems the BB Bench doesn't do a do good job of hitting my chest and is not that great for hypertrophy for me. Does anyone else agree? Perhaps me being shoulder and triceps dominant is the reason?

Don't get me wrong, I mix up my training a lot. Some weeks I do strictly hypertrophy, some weeks I do moderate weight, and some weeks heavy strength low rep sets. I love the BB Bench for 1-5 Rep sets and for my strength weeks, I place BB Bench as King over all chest workouts.

However, for Hypertrophy weeks, I've always leaned towards Dumbbells and Weighted Push Up's.

Unfortunately, my gyms dumbbells only go up to 100 lbs, so now I'm starting to lean torwards weighted push ups, as I own the Kensui Max vest and can easily stack on (3) 45 lb plates.

I prefer the stretch of the dumbells and weighted push ups using push up bars for a deeper stretch and feel I get much more range of motion and stretch in my chest for hypertrophy using dumbells and weighted push ups vs the bb bench.

you guys 2c on this?

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I’ve switched to dumbbells for most of my bench day, since I think they hit my pecs better. For AMREP sets at the end though, I use barbell, since it doesn’t require as much control. (I don’t like the risk of dropping dumbbells.)

Never tried weighted push-ups.

Best wishes.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have no issue hitting chest with BB Bench. I also do dips though. My gym has a combo dip chin setup that lets me super set dips with chins. I also do incline.

Have you tried pausing at the bottom of your bench. You might be bouncing too much. Maybe your grip is too narrow as well, but of course that helps save the shoulders. You can also just do flies.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like the barbell bench press the most, but the others are great exercises too. I have built a solid chest from almost exclusively benching, though, so claims that it doesn't work well for this, or is just an "ego lift" (as if any of this isn't) do sound silly to me.
    Bench: 325
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lsiberian View Post
    I have no issue hitting chest with BB Bench. I also do dips though. My gym has a combo dip chin setup that lets me super set dips with chins. I also do incline.

Have you tried pausing at the bottom of your bench. You might be bouncing too much. Maybe your grip is too narrow as well, but of course that helps save the shoulders. You can also just do flies.
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    I like the barbell bench press the most, but the others are great exercises too. I have built a solid chest from almost exclusively benching, though, so claims that it doesn't work well for this, or is just an "ego lift" (as if any of this isn't) do sound silly to me.
    I agree with these two but to each his own. I feel like people give up on BB bench too quickly before playing with different setups, grip, and positions. You can make subtle changes to almost any exercise and occasionally find a meaningful difference. I have been focusing on grip setup and hand drive and it feels like I found a cheat code. It takes time but worth it.
    "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid."

"I don't know how I'm going to win, I just know I'm not going to lose."

MFC

Registered User 25catfishperday's Avatar
    25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 25catfishperday will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Interesting responses. I'm played with several variations of the Barbell. The only time I actually feel BB Bench in my chest is with a wide grip and moderate weight for higher reps. But I think I still prefer barbell for strength training low reps. I wanted to see how some of you felt about this.

If I bench heavy with a shoulder width grip, I feel the press mostly in my triceps.

I feel I've put a lot of mass on my chest since switching to dumbells paired with fly's.

But now that I'm running out of weight at the gym I'm considering switching to the weighted push ups on handles using the Kensui vest and plates on my back.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only way I could make bench a useful chest movement was to use a shoulder width grip. But other than that….

Dumbbell presses and push ups (and all their many variants) are far more effective IME. YMMV.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm just a feeble little 55 year old guy that scrounges up free weights and equipment from his rental properties. I've got an adjustable bench and spinlock dumb bells that I've modified to go up to 80 pounds each. I welded threaded extensions to the handles.
    Furnished rental houses in Coffeyville Kansas. Bills paid, weekly rates, full kitchens, washer/dryer, cable/wifi. For refinery contractors.

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 25catfishperday View Post
    Interesting responses. I'm played with several variations of the Barbell. The only time I actually feel BB Bench in my chest is with a wide grip and moderate weight for higher reps. But I think I still prefer barbell for strength training low reps. I wanted to see how some of you felt about this.

If I bench heavy with a shoulder width grip, I feel the press mostly in my triceps.

I feel I've put a lot of mass on my chest since switching to dumbells paired with fly's.

But now that I'm running out of weight at the gym I'm considering switching to the weighted push ups on handles using the Kensui vest and plates on my back.
    If your approach is working for you then definitely don't change it. The only time I change things up is for boredom or if I stall. Honestly boredom gets me more often.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Eh whatever you get the best vibe off.

Dont be the ½rep uber flare dumbell presser and expect great chest results. They won't come.

And dont expect movements that hit far more than just chest to be a more focused chest movement than... An actual chest focused movement like a machine fly.

Big compounds hit way more - plan for than in your analysis.

Think of them like this

Bench variation - pec/tri/delt
    Inc bench - more delt. Less pec
    Ohp - delt/tri/upper pec
    *Db will bias more pec - not inherently better btw

Front raise - delt
    Extention - tricep
    Fly - pec
    Each will put more muscle on each part individually, but probably no more overall than a compound

Fun point.
    Cambered Swiss/fb bar is king! Nothing feels better imo.
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 09-12-2022 at 12:03 PM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Range of motion - dumbbells win
    But they lose vs the bb when you use bigger and bigger dumbbells and make the move more and more uncomfortable and the stabilization becomes a factor

I feel the chest working more with a more narrow grip on the bb bench, indeed

Pushups are great

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    [b]
    Dont be the ½rep uber flare dumbell presser and expect great chest results. They won't come.

Each will put more muscle on each part individually, but probably no more overall than a compound

Cambered Swiss/fb bar is king! Nothing feels better imo.

Funny thing
    The guys with the best chest at my commercial gym are the ½rep uber flare dumbell presser.
    While I, with smaller dumbbells getting a full stretch and locking out

How do you establish this?
    Not disagreeing, just asking
    Because of the tonnage?
    You would have to put a group of people on bb bench and a group on db flyes Arnold style, focusing on the stretch.
    The problem with flyes would be the potential injuries.
    An advanced strong lifter can do heavy flies with 40kg.
    Not nearly as much as a 3 plate barbell, but the fly movement itself is tailor-made for pecs

Yeah, that cambered bar looks awesome and seems more friendly on the shoulders, I wish my gym had one.
    Also, for bent rows.
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So when i say for example the bb bench puts more muscle overall im refering to mass going on the chest, triceps and shoulders.

A 3in1 deal so to speak.

Compared to a cable chest fly that would only realistically add size to the chest, and through a longer rom with more directed stimulus.

And a shoulder raise, and a tricep extention. And possibly something else in there too. Very much in the vein of, you get far more from it the same time, or it takes way longer to hit everything in isolation.

Id not even really care about actual loads moved, just trends and progress over time providing exertion is similar.

The elite fts us/uk cambered bar is fantastic! Wish id got the clone instead of the one with no camber tbh
    FMH crew - Couch.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I actually gained a little bit of chest mass due to high rep burpees with multiple push-ups, my wife was the first to point it out. This was high rep movements though (400+ reps in a single session) - I have gone to weighted push-ups and TRX movements since, no appreciable difference but I'm not training for mass right now either.