Thread: how to begin?

otter17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

how to begin?

Hello guys,

i would like to start working out again. i am 180cm and 82 kg. i want to lose some fat and gain more muscle. is it possible to do that at the same time? also can someone link a few posts with handy information?

-otter17

hjwkoasdwaa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by otter17 View Post
    Hello guys,

i would like to start working out again. i am 180cm and 82 kg. i want to lose some fat and gain more muscle. is it possible to do that at the same time? also can someone link a few posts with handy information?

-otter17
    i am also new to working out, but start by reading the stickies on this page for good info. what you are looking for is called a "body recomposition" where you gradually exchange fat for muscle by eating around your daily energy expenditure (you can look up calculators for this online) and incorporating resistance training/exercise to stimulate both muscle growth and fat loss, albeit slowly. you should watch a few yt videos by people like jeff nippard, sean nalewanyj, and jeremy ethier who are really good informative fitness youtubers i would recommend to someone like me, but just start by doing your research and doing what is right for you. focus on nutrition, eating whole foods, and progressive overload in your training.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by otter17 View Post
    Hello guys,

-otter17
    The basic information everyone needs is condensed into the 'sticky' threads in the main forums like Workout Programs, Nutrition and Exercises.

Yes, it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time in theory but it can be an inefficient process and contrary to what you might be hoping, it may well be quicker and more measurable if you focus on one thing at a time.

Mass gain = very slight surplus + enough protein + weight training with progressive overload
    Fat loss = deficit + enough protein + weight training with progressive overload

There is no real "penalty" for switching from one mode to the other although switching to dieting part way through a program might make your lifts stall out. So it's better not to interrupt mass gain *too* often.

VitoBurrito is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    eat at slightly below your maintenance calories (100-200 calories below)

lift a decent amount per week, aim to hit every muscle 2x per week (or 3x if you do full body split)

light cardio such as walking aim for at least 30min a day