JasonY1289 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Maintaining Bare Steel Barbell

I just got a Rogue Ohio Power Bar Bare Steel, it's my first bare steel barbell. How should I best care for it to prevent/clean rust (Upstate NY region)? Should I lubricate it with 3-in-1 as its brand new before using it?

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JasonY1289 View Post
    I just got a Rogue Ohio Power Bar Bare Steel, it's my first bare steel barbell. How should I best care for it to prevent/clean rust (Upstate NY region)? Should I lubricate it with 3-in-1 as its brand new before using it?
    Is your gym inside the house or in the garage? My bare steel Texas Power Bar has shocked me over this past year, not a single rust spot has formed on the Barbell. Granted we run a dehumidifier in the room where my gym is located, but I've done zero maintenence so far and usually train about 5-6 times a week. Otherwise I think brushing a light coat of 3-in-1 oil is the answer, taking a brass brush to any surface rust that forms on the knurling over time.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JasonY1289 View Post
    It will depend on your temperature and humidity levels.

I live in Texas and my bare steel bar had rust all over it within 48 hours of wiping off the shipping oil. Currently I'm just cleaning the slick parts of the bar where it rides up my legs. I'm leaving the knurl alone for now. The chalk on my hands is coming out light brown after a set. I clean the whole thing every few weeks.

3-In-1 Oil and a steel bristled brush will do the job. Then wipe the excess oil away. You will have to do this frequently if you want it to stay clean, even in low humidity. Eventually the metal will take a duller hew as patina sets in. You'll have to do a whole lot of maintenance if you want it to stay shiny.
    I'm a weightlifter, just starting to add some bodybuilding into my training. I'm mostly here for the equipment forum.