Registered User ArnoldHAMnEGGer's Avatar
    ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

What happens if we put the load behind the user in a Belt Squat

I've only ever used the Pit Shark Belt Squat. It was ok but did very little for my quads. I'm aware that Belt Squats are supposed to mimic a Low Bar hip dominant squat. I get that but I still found it disappointing how little quad activation I could get from a machine that's supposed to be so versatile. Since I've only ever used a Pit Shark I always wondered how other Belt Squats fared in this regard. Being 6 ft and long-legged probably isn't helping but still. Maybe some others could chime in with their experiences.

With that being said, Beast Metals (link to pic provided below) whom I have no idea if they're still in existence, had a unique design on their Belt Squat. I wondered how this changed the moment arm and how it correlated to muscle stimulation. Would you get a little more quad? Maybe it did not matter at all? If you notice, the load is much closer to the hips and knees. Yes, during the descent the weight moves forward and away from the user but it doesn't seem as far something like the load placement on a Pit Shark.

So my question; if one built a Belt Squat and where the resistance was way way behind the user and moving away from them and ending up close to the knee and hip upon completion, would this give a more a quad-centric or perhaps a more balanced load distribution in terms of muscle activation?

Also worth mentioning, while using a Pit I even tried turning my back to the loading point, using a close stance with heeled shoes and standing so away from the anchor point (where you attach the belt to the arm) so that the load was moving back and away from me in hopes that it would drastically change how I felt the movement. It didn't.

I know Squat Max has a pin to shift the force to the quads more and I know the load distribution is directly under the user in their model. I really wish I could use one.

https://imgur.com/Qnci77n

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I know Squat Max has a pin to shift the force to the quads more and I know the load distribution is directly under the user in their model.
    I had this and the pin didn't seem to do anything. At least it wasn't noticeable at all.

ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    I had this and the pin didn't seem to do anything. At least it wasn't noticeable at all.
    interesting to hear and also disappointing. There has to be a way to make a Belt Squat more quad dominant, especially for the folks who can't/prefer not to load their spine. would you agree?

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ArnoldHAMnEGGer View Post
    interesting to hear and also disappointing. There has to be a way to make a Belt Squat more quad dominant, especially for the folks who can't/prefer not to load their spine. would you agree?
    If I was interested in that I'd probably try some squat wedges

If I was interested in that I'd probably try some squat wedges
    I have them & olympic lifting shoes but very hard to load if one's not going to use a barbell. I use wedges when I do deep bodyweight squats. Just looking for a way to load them without compromising my spine.

I have them & olympic lifting shoes but very hard to load if one's not going to use a barbell. I use wedges when I do deep bodyweight squats. Just looking for a way to load them without compromising my spine.
    Why could you not use squat wedges with a belt squat?

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This. If anything, it seems like they would be easier to use because there is no walk out. Admittedly, I haven't tried them and my belt squat hasn't seen much use lately.

I didn't use wedges but I did use my Olympic lifting shoes (they have a large heel) often with Belt Squats. Still wasn't all that for my quads.

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I really need to do a review on the belt squat machine I have. I would have covered this "issue."

1. Use a box that is significantly deeper than parallel depth.
    2. Use whatever stance happens to hit your quads the best.
    3. Squat down onto the box.
    Done. (not really)
    4. You can either hold tension & squat back up, OR you can break the eccentric concentric chain, loosen up, and position yourself in a way you naturally couldn't with a barbell on your back. Fire out of the hole. You get a lot more contraction on the way up. Doing this reminds me of burn I would get from leg extensions. It's not as good, but very, very close. I know this is a vague explanation, but the truth is you'll have to feel around for the proper positioning to hit the quads off a box. This isn't hard or impossible by any means. It just takes some time to figure out what groove is appropriate for your build.
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller View Post
    I really need to do a review on the belt squat machine I have. I would have covered this "issue."

1. Use a box that is significantly deeper than parallel depth.
    2. Use whatever stance happens to hit your quads the best.
    3. Squat down onto the box.
    Done. (not really)
    4. You can either hold tension & squat back up, OR you can break the eccentric concentric chain, loosen up, and position yourself in a way you naturally couldn't with a barbell on your back. Fire out of the hole. You get a lot more contraction on the way up. Doing this reminds me of burn I would get from leg extensions. It's not as good, but very, very close. I know this is a vague explanation, but the truth is you'll have to feel around for the proper positioning to hit the quads off a box. This isn't hard or impossible by any means. It just takes some time to figure out what groove is appropriate for your build.
    Cool. Appreciate your post. What brand Belt Squat do you have and do you love it?

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Take a 1/2 step back on the platform, or you could always try to use a Spud harness attachment for the belt squat that is supposed to target the quads more. But IMO I think it's all about foot placement, similar to a leg press where pressing high/low on the platform makes all the difference.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Cool. Appreciate your post. What brand Belt Squat do you have and do you love it?
    Rogue Rhino. I've been meaning to write a review about it, but life keeps getting in the way.
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)