Registered User Flyingtoaster18's Avatar
    Flyingtoaster18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Inflammation, good or bad?

I have a question I'm hoping could be resolved regarding inflammation.

I've come across several articles explaining how inflammation after a workout is a good thing, and aids in muscle growth.

Most information I've come across explains that drugs like NSAID'S should be kept at a minimum to preserve muscle growth.

However, whenever I come across a natural/herbal anti-inflammatory, all information I see glorifies the fact that it has anti-inflammatory properties, and is expressed as helping to aid in muscle growth.

I am not looking at anti-inflammatory herbs for pain relief, but for other reasons. One of the several herbs I am looking at, Ashwagandha, for example, I want to take for its cortisol-blocking effect, but don't want it's anti-inflammatory properties getting in the way of muscle growth.

Really don't know where to turn. Are anti-inflammatories a good thing? Something to be minimized?

Or maybe the NSAID's and herbal anti-inflammatories exhibit their properties in different way, one harmful, other beneficial? Any information would be appreciated. More detailed/more sources the better.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Flyingtoaster18; 08-16-2022 at 12:52 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Inflammation is part of a repair process. If you take medication to reduce inflammation it's usually to ease the symptoms rather than to speed recovery.

I don't think there is a wealth of evidence showing that NSAIDs will slow muscle growth and recovery from training but as a general principle, I prefer to avoid them except in certain circumstances - for example when pain prevents my sleeping properly.

Remember that 'natural' remedies often have unregulated doses of real drugs in them - things like asprin were originally found in nature. Don't fall for the naturalistic fallacy. Nature is an arms race, it's not a garden of eden. Nightshade and hemlock are natural and organic after all.
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 08-16-2022 at 12:50 AM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Flyingtoaster18 View Post
    Really don't know where to turn. Are anti-inflammatories a good thing? Something to be minimized?

Or maybe the NSAID's and herbal anti-inflammatories exhibit their properties in different way, one harmful, other beneficial? Any information would be appreciated. More detailed/more sources the better.
    Evaluate your own specific health needs & consult your physician if necessary. Plenty of people take things like glucosamine, fish oil, collagen, turmeric, etc. & have built muscle.