Ketjow is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Any feedback on this 3 day program?

Hi, I've found a 3 day program which I'm considering to follow and wanted to get some feedback on if it's good or not, it's from an ebook so not made by me. The plan splits into two routines A and B, where it is described that they should be done interchangeably i.e. week 1 - A/B/A , week 2 - B/A/B, week 3 - A/B/A etc.

Routine A is:
    Squats - 5x5
    Bench Press - 5x5
    Bent Over Row - 5x5
    Lateral Raise (Dumbbell) - 3x8
    Bicep Curl (Dumbbell) - 3x8
    Triceps Extension - 3x8
    Cable Crunch - 3x8
    Calf Extension - 3x8

Routine B is:
    Deadlift - 5x5
    Overhead Press - 5x5
    Pull Up - 5x5
    Close Grip Bench Press - 3x8
    Bicep Curl (Dumbbell) - 3x8
    Plank - 3x1min
    Calf Extension - 3x8

Starting weight the plan recommends using an empty barbell, although I'll likely start with additional weight as I can handle the empty barbell on most exercises.

Progression wise, the plan recommends adding weight in each training, where it mentions adding +5kg to deadlift and squats and +2.5kg to all other 5x5 exercises, and in case of failure it recommends to take 90% of the failed weight and retry with that instead.

Thanks

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It looks fine but it might take a bit of time when you're further along on progression.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep others warm.
    Unknown

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks a bit much for a beginner but give it a shot if you like it & see how it goes. That 5x5 DL to start out B day doesn't look fun to me, but do what works for you.

ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I’d superset the isos and move abs to off days.

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Squat, bench press, bent over row is a standard full body workout. That's a good start for 3 day per week. Not sure if you can handle progressing. Not the way I'd go. Think you will develop injuries with the 5 x 5s, if you are too aggressive. It also takes some time to develop the lifts--squatting takes a lot of practice--before you progress through the weight. Think everyone should squat, but this might require you to have a more experienced lifter help you with form. Think is a bit much for a beginner.

Ketjow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by pondman View Post
    Squat, bench press, bent over row is a standard full body workout. That's a good start for 3 day per week. Not sure if you can handle progressing. Not the way I'd go. Think you will develop injuries with the 5 x 5s, if you are too aggressive. It also takes some time to develop the lifts--squatting takes a lot of practice--before you progress through the weight. Think everyone should squat, but this might require you to have a more experienced lifter help you with form. Think is a bit much for a beginner.
    What's the reasoning behind the progression? First reply mentioned it as well so just wondering. I've got some experience in all the lifts described so I'm not a completely new beginner, although still a beginner if that would help with it at all. My plan is to just start with a lower weight, record myself doing each of the 5x5 exercises and then review to see if there's anything that needs improving.

Thanks for all the replies

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ketjow View Post
    What's the reasoning behind the progression? First reply mentioned it as well so just wondering. I've got some experience in all the lifts described so I'm not a completely new beginner, although still a beginner if that would help with it at all. My plan is to just start with a lower weight, record myself doing each of the 5x5 exercises and then review to see if there's anything that needs improving.
    Starting with lower weight is fine, but once the weight increases to the point where it's challenging that progression is pretty aggressive once you add the latter exercises to the 5x5 ones.

But there's no point theorizing since people can only give you general advice. The best way to find out if something you want to do works for you is to run it. That way you'll see for yourself how rough that B day that starts with 5x5 DL is once the weight gets heavy, esp in weeks where you do it twice. Maybe you're a beast & it'll be fine, maybe not.

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ketjow View Post

Thanks for all the replies
    Might be better if you cut back on that program, so you are only doing the 5 main lifts at 5 X 5 and the pull ups. We all are faced with strengths and weaknesses. It's always the weakness that send us to the hospital. If you put a 5 X 5 into Squats, are you really going to have the ATP needed to do two other big lifts? And making sure you are adding weight every workout? For example, your shoulders might not be able to handle the 5 X 5. That's a very specific lift that most people will get wrong, until they learn the technics. Might take six months of strengthening and practice. Got to be humble. Not saying it's a bad program and people shouldn't do it. But I am saying be prepared, and be strong and fit enough to do it.

jenkmen is just really nice. (+1000) jenkmen is just really nice. (+1000) jenkmen is just really nice. (+1000) jenkmen is just really nice. (+1000) jenkmen is just really nice. (+1000) jenkmen is just really nice. (+1000) jenkmen is just really nice. (+1000) jenkmen is just really nice. (+1000) jenkmen is just really nice. (+1000) jenkmen is just really nice. (+1000) jenkmen is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's a lotta tricep volume on day A

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks fine.
    Sleep hard
    Eat right
    Dunt be stupid
    FMH crew - Couch.

veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP, the program is great. It hits all the major compound lifts and also addresses body part isolation for aesthetics.

Try it out. progress as prescribed and see how your body feels. Make sure you're getting good rest, counting your calories/macros with a nutritional/weight goal in mind (please visit the nutrition forums for guidance), and using good form.

If you use 2 minute rest times for the big compound movements and 1 minute for all the others, looks like you'll be in and out of the gym in about 90 minutes with discipline, maybe a bit less, especially if you do 45 second rest times on the accessory movements.

If you develop joint aches, fatigue, not feeling well, make sure your rest/nutrition/recovery is dialed in (sleep, plenty of protein, etc.) and if so, maybe dial back the volume by doing 4x5 or 3x5 instead of 5x5 on the main compounds.
    September 2022:
    BW: 184.5
    B: 300x3, 225 x 14
    S: 315 x 1, 225 x 18
    DL: 350x4; 385 x 1; Trap Bar DL: 405 x 1
    OHP: 185 x 2, 135 x 12
    Chins: 19 Pushups: 60
    1 Mile: 5:52