mactheaxe is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Frustration over my journey progress

I will give a short explanation. I am frustrated for a few reasons, but it might be good to give a little insight on the whole thing.

In January, I topped out at 208 pounds, and over 30 percent bf. That was the limit for me, so I began a journey starting with a 5 day fast, then into keto. I stayed keto for a month or two before going to clinical keto{no special keto foods, just whole foods}. I went from keto into carnivore, which was kind of nice tbh. That put me at my lowest weight of 168. From there I plateau'd and wouldn't budge anymore.

about 2 months ago I went to a high carb low fat diet to facilitate muscle building, which works good for bulking and building. I monitored my caloric intake at around 2,500 calories average per day. my weight topped out at 184 pounds. I am now trying just caloric intake at around 1,800 calories per day with oatmeal in the morning, coffee, and chicken and rice with veggies, all measured, daily with the rest of my calories being filled in by dinner and snacks. I am still not losing weight. I know that if i drop anymore calories, I will be in danger of bottoming out my metabolism and being an angry grump who needs more food. My bf is less than 20 percent, and I cannot seem to even go to 15 percent so I can clean bulk.

At this point, since muscle is more expensive to run than fat, I feel like just solidly bulking for a long time to build muscle is my only path.

I am more frustrated by the fact this is a lone journey. I don't really have any fitness gurus as friends, nor do I have any extra money to throw to a trainer. That leaves me with only the internet to work with. I have nobody to actually speak with who doesn't charge, or actually cares to help. I have made progress, don't get me wrong, but there are steps at every level, and I am doing my very best to negotiate them . Its hard to do alone, not that I can't, but it would be nice to atleast have a gym buddy for those days where I want to go Dorian Yates style in the gym. Or for those days to motivate me when I really don't want to go to the gym, but I need to stay consistent.

I am currently 1 1/2 months into a monday, wednesday, friday, full body split. I have made good gains, and will stick with it as long as I do. I don't do much cardio right now because I have focused on strength training.

I've got years to do this, so I guess I just need to trust the process, whatever that is. Maybe that's it. I just haven't given enough time. Maybe I am answering my own questions, and just need to vent.

Obviously I am feeling a bit defeated today, and maybe just a little encouragement is all I am looking for, I don't know. What I do know is, I have found out my metabolism is highly reactive and solid, which is a blessing and a curse. It doesn't seem to want me very far at all from 180 pounds when I want to go in the 160's. I feel stronger, I am a bit more toned, but in 8 months, I feel I should have made more progress.

Any help would be nice. I know it's a bit of a general post, but maybe someone will get what I am trying to say.
    Last edited by mactheaxe; 08-14-2022 at 07:32 AM. Reason: missing information

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    congrats on your weight loss so far. i'll try to keep it short, so: even though jumping from one diet to another seemed to work for you, you probably know that weight loss essentially comes down to being in a sustained caloric deficit. a deficit can be achieved with any diet, so i'm kind of curious why you kept switching diets all the time. did you get bored or what?

as for the actual solution here, if you're not losing weight on a certain amount of calories, unfortunately the only thing you can do is drop your calories even more or start moving more. i'm a bit hesitant to say that being "angry" is part of the process, but a lot of people tend to feel grumpy when cutting on low calories. so drop your calories by like 300, eat filling foods and try your best to endure it, because there is not much else you can do

mactheaxe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    congrats on your weight loss so far. i'll try to keep it short, so: even though jumping from one diet to another seemed to work for you, you probably know that weight loss essentially comes down to being in a sustained caloric deficit. a deficit can be achieved with any diet, so i'm kind of curious why you kept switching diets all the time. did you get bored or what?

as for the actual solution here, if you're not losing weight on a certain amount of calories, unfortunately the only thing you can do is drop your calories even more or start moving more. i'm a bit hesitant to say that being "angry" is part of the process, but a lot of people tend to feel grumpy when cutting on low calories. so drop your calories by like 300, eat filling foods and try your best to endure it, because there is not much else you can do
    Thanks for the congrats. Long road so far. The diet jumping is from me figuring out what works best for myself. sustainability, composition, metabolism, etc. I have settled into a more moderate approach centered around caloric intake. . I fell into the keto world, then the carnivore world, both having things I liked about them. I actually didn't mind steak and eggs every day. That said, caloric intake is still the important factor.

My dilemma is, I do not want to bottom out my metabolism. I am trying to avoid low caloric deficit, and having to return from that without fat gain. As far as my "angry" comment, I am still figuring that out that it is part of the process and it is on me. After much thought today, I am going to hold my diet where it is until I stop losing weight, increase my intake, go anabolic, build muscle, and try again. I am not skinny fat, but I am not built either. Kind of in between. I should take advantage of "newbie gains" while I can. My deadline is in 2.5 years when I turn 40. I want to enter my 40's jacked. With that said, I think since I have calmed my enthusiasm a bit, and starting to understand the marathon, not a race aspect. I should build something first. I tried to upload pictures, but this site is not letting me.

intermedlift will become famous soon enough. (+50) intermedlift will become famous soon enough. (+50) intermedlift will become famous soon enough. (+50) intermedlift will become famous soon enough. (+50) intermedlift will become famous soon enough. (+50) intermedlift will become famous soon enough. (+50) intermedlift will become famous soon enough. (+50) intermedlift will become famous soon enough. (+50) intermedlift will become famous soon enough. (+50) intermedlift will become famous soon enough. (+50) intermedlift will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mactheaxe View Post
    Thanks for the congrats. Long road so far. The diet jumping is from me figuring out what works best for myself. sustainability, composition, metabolism, etc. I have settled into a more moderate approach centered around caloric intake. . I fell into the keto world, then the carnivore world, both having things I liked about them. I actually didn't mind steak and eggs every day. That said, caloric intake is still the important factor.

My dilemma is, I do not want to bottom out my metabolism. I am trying to avoid low caloric deficit, and having to return from that without fat gain. As far as my "angry" comment, I am still figuring that out that it is part of the process and it is on me. After much thought today, I am going to hold my diet where it is until I stop losing weight, increase my intake, go anabolic, build muscle, and try again. I am not skinny fat, but I am not built either. Kind of in between. I should take advantage of "newbie gains" while I can. My deadline is in 2.5 years when I turn 40. I want to enter my 40's jacked. With that said, I think since I have calmed my enthusiasm a bit, and starting to understand the marathon, not a race aspect. I should build something first. I tried to upload pictures, but this site is not letting me.
    Hey man it sounds like you're on the right track. yes 100% a marathon and patience