difardifar is on a distinguished road. (+10)

About training volume

In a typical Back & Chest workout, i will hit in total 24 sets 12 for chest 12 for back, which i thought was fair volume and something i can manage. But someone like JPGcoaching, if you know him says he only does 8-10 sets in total!!! What? 8-10 sets for a Back and Chest workout?? Is that really enough? I can only imagine he knows much more than I do as he does seem like a really smart guy, but 8-10 sets for 2 huge muscle groups? What is your stance on this?

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by difardifar View Post
    In a typical Back & Chest workout, i will hit in total 24 sets 12 for chest 12 for back, which i thought was fair volume and something i can manage. But someone like JPGcoaching, if you know him says he only does 8-10 sets in total!!! What? 8-10 sets for a Back and Chest workout?? Is that really enough? I can only imagine he knows much more than I do as he does seem like a really smart guy, but 8-10 sets for 2 huge muscle groups? What is your stance on this?
    I would assume he's hitting chest and back at least 2x per week, maybe 3-4 times. Personally I prefer higher frequency with less per session volume, but either can work. I know for me, much more than 8 sets in a session for one body part and it's probably junk volume.

difardifar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by RapidFail View Post
    I would assume he's hitting chest and back at least 2x per week, maybe 3-4 times. Personally I prefer higher frequency with less per session volume, but either can work. I know for me, much more than 8 sets in a session for one body part and it's probably junk volume.
    I hit chest+back twice a week too which would be 48 sets total? Too much?

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Depends on intensity (weight on bar). Most people who do crazy high volume can’t even bench 225 for reps. 6-8 hard sets/ twice per week is what worked for me.

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by difardifar View Post
    I hit chest+back twice a week too which would be 48 sets total? Too much?
    It could be fine if that's what you need to grow and you are able to recover. Appropriate training volume varies a lot from person to person.

If you're a novice/beginner, it's almost certainly too much. How close you're going to failure on each set is also an important variable.
    Last edited by RapidFail; 08-12-2022 at 05:46 PM.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    6-8 hard sets/ twice per week is what worked for me.
    That ^^^ works for me. But I'm a feeble little 55 year old guy as you can see in my avatar.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Opossum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicidGriMe: Opossum
    MTpockets: Owl
    Air2Fake: Wesel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Mark1T: Black Labrador retriever
    Paulinanas: Coyote
    Sails: Wlf

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    That ^^^ works for me. But I'm a feeble little 55 year old guy as you can see in my avatar.
    Once you get really strong as a natural you actually need less volume. You literally just run out of energy. But this goes against the latest volume fad so there’s that lol

I’m going to assume the person op referenced is very advanced and probably doesn’t pump and fluff around

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    volume is not fixed. Everyone has a current volume requirement and it changes over time. As mentioned, how you measure volume depends on exertion levels in each set. You migtht not getting as close to failure in every set as you think. If you are, it's an adaptation that you probably need to break otherwise your only option is more volume...

dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Periodization is the key. It's fine to do workouts with crazy high number of sets from time to time, but in general you should be around 10-12 working sets per week for any given body part (not counting target accessories). Your body can only build so much muscle, so doing a bunch of extra sets all the time doesn't do anything, and will just tire you out and lower your gains. Like anything, it can have a place for 8-10 weeks, for whatever reason.

Leaving the gym tired and sore is key

Shout out to Brad

Not srs