Ifhlh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thoughts on my first bulking plan?

Hello,

I am a beginner (Male, 30 years, 5'7, 66kg/ 146lb) and have been following the GZCLP program for 5 weeks while eating slightly below my maintenance calories. I've got my diet nailed down and I am now happy with my weight/ shape and would like to start bulking.
    I have never done bulking before and a little bit unsure whether what I will be doing is right, so here's what I’m planning to do, and I would appreciate it if you can let me know what you think (my main concern is that the workout program I’m following is not enough):

- Diet: I will eat maintenance for 2 weeks then start increasing my calories until I’m gaining 0.5-1 lb/ week.
    - Workout: keep following GZCLP 3 to 4 days/ week until i have built enough baseline strength, then move to a more advanced programme (in about 4 months maybe?)

infographic explaining GZCLP:saynotobroscience.com/gzclp-infographic/

The part that I’m not sure about is that on this workout program, I doing about 3 workouts per day 3 days per week (sometimes 4 but mostly 3), and when reading about bulking it seems that the majority of people recommend at least 10 set per week per muscle group, e.g: lyle mcdonald's article "Does Training Frequency Matter for Muscle Growth?" (bodyrecomposition.com/training/does-training-frequency-matter-for-muscle-growth). In doing GZCLP 3 days per week, on some weeks some muscles (like chest and shoulders) will only get 3 sets.

so, this is what I’m trying to figure out:
    1- is this program ok for a beginner to bulk on?
    2- what will happen if I start bulking following my program? could I gain too much fat?
    3- do you think I should change anything? I could try to workout 4 days a week but not sure i'll do that very consistently.

I would also be interested to know how it went for you if you had bulked on a similar linear progression program.

Thanks

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ifhlh View Post
    so, this is what I’m trying to figure out:
    Yes

2- what will happen if I start bulking following my program? could I gain too much fat?
    GZCLP won't cause you to gain too much fat. That would result from too many calories and possibly low effort put into progressing your lifts.

3- do you think I should change anything?
    (a) If you want to bulk, I don't think you need to eat at maintenance for 2 weeks then slowly increase until you're gaining 0.5-1 lb/ week, 1 lb/week sounds high anyway. Take a guess at how many calories above maintenance you want to be at, then adjust from there based on results, but up to you.

(b) I don't think you should set an arbitrary timeframe like 4 months or baseline strength for how long you want to run it. Run it until you feel you're no longer progressing, or you get bored with it.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Yes

GZCLP won't cause you to gain too much fat. That would result from too many calories and possibly low effort put into progressing your lifts.

3- do you think I should change anything?
    (a) If you want to bulk, I don't think you need to eat at maintenance for 2 weeks then slowly increase until you're gaining 0.5-1 lb/ week, 1 lb/week sounds high anyway. Take a guess at how many calories above maintenance you want to be at, then adjust from there based on results, but up to you.

(b) I don't think you should set an arbitrary timeframe like 4 months or baseline strength for how long you want to run it. Run it until you feel you're no longer progressing, or you get bored with it.
    Thanks a lot for the advice, I feel like there’s a lot of contradicting information about workout volume/ frequency when it comes to bulking and I would like to learn more about it.
    Any recommendations for some reputable sources to learn about this?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Thanks a lot for the advice, I feel like there’s a lot of contradicting information about workout volume/ frequency when it comes to bulking and I would like to learn more about it.
    If one source contradicts another, often it's because they are talking about something which doesn't really matter to results. That should be your default position - focus on the basics which are generally agreed on.

If you want to go deeper and want commentary based on objective evidence from studies and coaching then try strongerbyscience.com

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tbh people spend too much time learning online “what works” before they even start lifting, when the best way to learn what works for you is to eat sensibly whether cutting or bulking, and to lift hard under any seemingly reputable program. Your plan is along those lines even without any changes.

Bulking isn’t some magical thing, it just means you’re eating like 66% of Americans do.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    If one source contradicts another, often it's because they are talking about something which doesn't really matter to results. That should be your default position - focus on the basics which are generally agreed on.

If you want to go deeper and want commentary based on objective evidence from studies and coaching then try strongerbyscience.com
    Thanks a lot, been looking at that website and looks very useful!

Tbh people spend too much time learning online “what works” before they even start lifting, when the best way to learn what works for you is to eat sensibly whether cutting or bulking, and to lift hard under any seemingly reputable program. Your plan is along those lines even without any changes.
    Yeah I guess I’m guilty of that tbh, trying to make sure Im doing everything g right before I start.

Im just trying to avoid getting fat which I know would put me off it.

Bulking isn’t some magical thing, it just means you’re eating like 66% of Americans do.
    Haha man this is making me look forward to bulking!