tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Took 10mgs Boron for 5 1/2 months; test jumped almost 20%

This is strange, I got more bloodwork done this morning to verify and/or further investigate (I'll update when I get those results)... Here's the details at this point:

I have always had a good TOTAL test level, around 775 at 57 years old, but my FREE test was always very near the bottom of normal (which is really all that matters for muscle building), and my SHBG was always either just above the normal range, or near the top of the normal range (which binds to test and therefor diminishes my free test). So, I started taking Boron 10 mgs, 2 weeks on one week off (the reason to take the week off is to ensure estrogen levels don't go up), for 5 1/2 months, and decided to get myself tested to see the results. Unfortunately they only tested my total test, so I didn't get to see the impact to my free test. But, surprisingly, my total test went from 775 to 919 (which is above the reference range at Quest Diagnostics)! This was surprising because the way boron is supposed to work (if it really works at all) is by decreasing SHBG, therefor increasing free test. I have not seen many studies that show it increases total test. So, I got a full blood panel done this morning to make sure everything else looks normal. To be honest, I'm not very happy my total test went up because my total test was already good, and: 1) I have prostate cancer in my family 2) I have heart issues in my family, and 3) sometimes increased total test can be a sign of testicular or adrenal cancer. I have read that test can go up in the summer months (this is the first time I got tested during the summer), so maybe that and the boron (somehow) account for the 18.5% increase. I also dropped my body fat from about 18% to 15% in that time, maybe that accounts for a bit also. I guess the bloodwork I got this morning will provide some answers. By the way, I have been lifting weights for decades, so it's not like my test went up due to weight training.

I'll keep you posted

SwoleToronto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwoleToronto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwoleToronto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What is Boron?

tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Got re-tested five days later, this time did full testosterone breakdown and full bloodwork. No change over the last few years. Free and bioavailable test still very much on the low side. Total test is fine. So the boron didn’t do anything for me. I’ll be stopping it.
    Total test: 781 (range 250-1100)
    Free test: 58.9 (range 46-224)
    Bioavailable test: 116 (range 110-575)
    SHBG (which binds test and makes it unusable: 68 (range 22-77)

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Not medical so have no idea but genuine interest... Is risk of prostate issues related to the free t not necessarily the total (just like muscle growth) because while it's bound by SHBG it's not able to act on androgen receptors? Wondering if increase free and bioavailable is a risk factor, gotta take prostate seriously as it affects so many people. That said I'm 48 and never had a PSA blood test (we don't have a culture in UK of having annual med exams), so maybe I should start getting an annual blood test done?

Interesting about Boron, I didn't know the presumed mechanism was to increase the free although shame it didn't work for you. Sounds similar to the presumed action of things like tongkat ali. Is that something you would consider testing in this manner?

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Not medical so have no idea but genuine interest... Is risk of prostate issues related to the free t not necessarily the total (just like muscle growth) because while it's bound by SHBG it's not able to act on androgen receptors? Wondering if increase free and bioavailable is a risk factor, gotta take prostate seriously as it affects so many people. That said I'm 48 and never had a PSA blood test (we don't have a culture in UK of having annual med exams), so maybe I should start getting an annual blood test done?

Interesting about Boron, I didn't know the presumed mechanism was to increase the free although shame it didn't work for you. Sounds similar to the presumed action of things like tongkat ali. Is that something you would consider testing in this manner?
    Good questions regarding the risk of total test vs free test as it relates to prostate cancer. I don't know. Also, what I have read is that testosterone doesn't increase your risk to prostate cancer, but if you have it, it fuels it and makes it much worse.

I may give tongkat ali a try.

I would definitely get a PSA test at 48. My brother had no symptoms when he was diagnosed at 48. He found out via a PSA test.

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tkdnj View Post
    testosterone doesn't increase your risk to prostate cancer, but if you have it, it fuels it and makes it much worse.
    I don't know about that. I made the mistake of letting my urologist manage my TRT, now I got his finger in my ass at least twice a year. When my GP managed it, he was much less knowledgeable but went by the bloodwork results.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    I don't know about that. I made the mistake of letting my urologist manage my TRT, now I got his finger in my ass at least twice a year. When my GP managed it, he was much less knowledgeable but went by the bloodwork results.
    Huh? If you're on TRT you certainly should get both bloodwork (for PSA) and a digital (finger) exam twice a year in case you develop prostate cancer. Not because TRT causes prostate cancer, but in case you have it you need to get off the TRT because testosterone fuels it like throwing gas on a fire. Once prostate cancer metastasizes it's brutal