45poundPlate is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Gym Etiquette: Not Racking That Which Was Not Racked

The following conversation happened on 8/9/2022:

Me: Excuse me, I believe you forgot to rack the 45's on either side of the hack squat you were using.
    Him: I don't rack weights that were left on the machine.
    Me: Did you use those weights?
    Him: Yes.

Even though the world is in a state of de-evolution, what is your opinion on this?

Thanks,
    Jim

shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    He's correct.

Also, mind your fuking business gym cop.

litljay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) litljay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) litljay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) litljay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) litljay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) litljay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) litljay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) litljay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) litljay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) litljay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) litljay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by shmobin View Post
    He's correct.

BS.

Rack the weights. Leave the location better than you found it. Fking common courtesy which is completely lacking today.
    You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

He's correct.

Do you have anything to substantiate your position?

shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shmobin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 45poundPlate View Post
    Do you have anything to substantiate your position?
    Which position?

Which position?
    Funny. That's what I thought.

Funny. That's what I thought.
    Well you quoted two, so..

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Me: Excuse me, I believe you forgot to rack the 45's on either side of the hack squat you were using.

Even though the world is in a state of de-evolution, what is your opinion on this?
    You don't go telling other people what to do in the gym regardless of what proper etiquette is, unless there is an immediate safety issue to you or someone else other than the supposed offender himself/herself.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You don't go telling other people what to do in the gym regardless of what proper etiquette is, unless there is an immediate safety issue to you or someone else other than the supposed offender himself/herself.
    What would be a good reference for your position?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What would be a good reference for your position?
    Life.

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sometime after Covid hit so many, the rules changed and people can't physically rerack dumbells or plates; they are way too heavy, so they leave them and walk away.
    It got so bad at my gym that i couldn't find matches to weights, so i called corporate offices and suddenly the gym equipment was repaired and you can find matches on the rack.
    i think it is weak forearms personally.
    Last edited by x-trainer ben; 08-09-2022 at 07:05 PM.
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Life.
    My point in this thread is to determine how to help people over a specific age who cannot physically lift 45 pound plates in order to rack them so that they can use a piece of equipment. I would like to help those people to enjoy their life and be more physically fit. Going off on a tangent, Russian military are exerting energy to create a lot of discomfort for Ukraine. Is it ok to allow that to happen? Americans exerting energy to foul over their fellow Americans is upsetting. Is it ok to allow Americans to exert energy to make other American's lives more difficult?

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My point in this thread is to determine how to help people over a specific age who cannot physically lift 45 pound plates in order to rack them so that they can use a piece of equipment. I would like to help those people to enjoy their life and be more physically fit. Going off on a tangent, Russian military are exerting energy to create a lot of discomfort for Ukraine. Is it ok to allow that to happen? Americans exerting energy to foul over their fellow Americans is upsetting. Is it ok to allow Americans to exert energy to make other American's lives more difficult?
    People became selfish in isolation for 1-1.5 years and they drive like it as well, the gym is just 1 extended selfish example of this.
    What can you do except read the clearly posted signs and hope for the best.
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always rack any weight I use, that said, I can't stand people who police the gym, unless, as other's have stated it is a safety issue or just a complete obvious fail. Every now and then I'll give a point of advice to young people who are doing something really stupid, and offer a better exercise that they could do, but that's about it. If they don't listen, I don't care.

When I am annoyed by misplaced weights, I make a show of spending 5-10 minutes of putting weights back in the proper place, or at least some scheme of order. Lead by example, not by being gym cop.

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thanks,
    Jim
    It reminds me a bit of the cardio-only people who circle the parking lot to find the closest spot to the door.

While I wouldn't tell someone what to do in the gym, it is pure laziness for him to have not re-racked the weights after using them (regardless if the person before him did that).

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's now a common problem--lazy people. Makes it hard for a commercial gym to attract customers when there is constant **** to deal with. Big problem when you don't know if the person is finished.

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by pondman View Post
    It's now a common problem--lazy people. Makes it hard for a commercial gym to attract customers when there is constant **** to deal with. Big problem when you don't know if the person is finished.
    Hard to know if they are when you see some guy giant setting and taking up multiple stations. Those people should come late in the evening when many weight rooms are a ghost town.

With that said, I workout at home now so I don't have to deal with these people anymore.

asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    People became selfish in isolation for 1-1.5 years and they drive like it as well, the gym is just 1 extended selfish example of this.
    What can you do except read the clearly posted signs and hope for the best.
    Nothing to do with isolation. There have always been a significant proportion of selfish/thoughtless people in society. On the one hand, calling them out risks a verbal barrage at best and an assault at worst (don't start what you can't finish). On the other hand, not calling out poor behaviour ultimately normalises it, which makes things worse for everyone in the long term, as everyone's crapness gets externalised onto everyone else.

asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by papi93 View Post
    Hard to know if they are when you see some guy giant setting and taking up multiple stations. Those people should come late in the evening when many weight rooms are a ghost town.
    I wish. My gym is decent but even mid to late evening it can be busy. It is a general issue in SE England which continues to grow in population but facilities don't. The previous gym I joined was a 24 hour gym, but even after 10pm some evenings I had to queue for equipment.

I can't be the only one who secretly appreciates it when someone rudely leaves a few 45 lb plates on a barbell or machine so I don't have to put them on myself.