afterbluegreen is on a distinguished road. (+10)

One arm stronger than the other on single-arm dumbbell tricep extension?

On the single-arm dumbbell overhead tricep extension, my right arm is stronger / can do more reps than my left (eg R 10reps, L 8reps). Is this a problem? Should I be able to do the same amount of reps with each arm?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    No

Everyone has asymmetries. I wouldn't worry about it.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do your strong arm first, then match reps with the weaker arm. Even if this means you have to rest/pause it. Example: 10 reps with your right, than 8 reps with your left then chill in the bottom position for 15 seconds than go for the last 2.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Do your strong arm first, then match reps with the weaker arm. Even if this means you have to rest/pause it. Example: 10 reps with your right, than 8 reps with your left then chill in the bottom position for 15 seconds than go for the last 2.
    Wouldn't that only serve to reinforce the imbalance? Did you mean to say to do the weak arm first?
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just do a two-handed overhead rope extension. You'll never know how weak your left arm is again.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    On all single dumb bell exercises, I can do more reps to failure with my left arm than my right arm. My left testicle is also larger than my right. I've been told this by several members of the opposite sex. But my brain is right hemisphere dominant (that means I'm good with numbers for you 'tards that don't know about hemisphere dominance). How do you explain that?
    Current rankings:

EliKoehn: Sparrow
    Steffo: Opossum
    MTpockets: Opossum
    TolerantLactose: Opossum
    Faithbrah: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Opossum
    Air2Fakie: Opossum
    Camarija: Raccoon
    TearsOfIce: Fox
    Paulinkansas: Coyote
    Snails: Wolf

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm northern hemisphere dominant. I think that's good because the southern hemisphere is full of venomous animals and penguins.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    the southern hemisphere is full of venomous animals and penguins.
    There's a lot of pachyderms in the southern hemisphere too. I wouldn't want to tangle with a hippo. They can swim underwater and bite your boat in half.
    Current rankings:

EliKoehn: Sparrow
    Steffo: Opossum
    MTpockets: Opossum
    TolerantLactose: Opossum
    Faithbrah: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Opossum
    Air2Fakie: Opossum
    Camarija: Raccoon
    TearsOfIce: Fox
    Paulinkansas: Coyote
    Snails: Wolf

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Wouldn't that only serve to reinforce the imbalance? Did you mean to say to do the weak arm first?
    Not if the difference is a couple reps.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not if the difference is a couple reps.
    But why imbalance it further even slightly?

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would have done my weaker arm first.

Or, better yet, hide my imbalances, by only doing bilateral movements, while yelling in the gym "Unilateral movements are for weirdos"
    Then find some articles and youtube vids about why bilateral movements are better, to strenghten my opinions.

And, secretly, use the weaker arm to do all the other stuff you did with your strong arm: carry a bag, throw something, use a hammer, masturbation.
    In 15-20 years, there will be balance again in your life.
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    But why imbalance it further even slightly?
    How do you figure that would happen?

If he is 2 reps short with his weaker arm, but rest in the bottom position of a movement, then finishes, how is that making it worse?

Over time, the problem corrects itself. 15 seconds becomes 5 seconds rest, then instead of resting to get 2 reps, he only has to rest a little to get 1 more rep to match. Then next thing you know, both arms are equaled out.

Or he could do bilateral movements and not worry about being similarly strong on each side of his body. Which is NOT a good thing as you get stronger at different movements. Compensatory movement patterns are a thing. The stronger side will take up the slack for the weaker side to complete a lift.

Spoiler: This is why I use dumbbells and/or single limb movements a lot more now.

-Sir Isaac Newton

How do you figure that would happen?

If he is 2 reps short with his weaker arm, but rest in the bottom position of a movement, then finishes, how is that making it worse?

Over time, the problem corrects itself. 15 seconds becomes 5 seconds rest, then instead of resting to get 2 reps, he only has to rest a little to get 1 more rep to match. Then next thing you know, both arms are equaled out.

Or he could do bilateral movements and not worry about being similarly strong on each side of his body. Which is NOT a good thing as you get stronger at different movements. Compensatory movement patterns are a thing. The stronger side will take up the slack for the weaker side to complete a lift.

Spoiler: This is why I use dumbbells and/or single limb movements a lot more now.
    Hmm, I guess that makes sense. I just think that if the right side is stronger, pre-fatiguing it only gives it still more stimulation than the weaker one, even if they're exhausted at more or less the same time by the end of the set. I don't really think it's all that important in the grand scheme of things, though.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maybe not everyone wants to be symmetrical or held back by their weak side. brb, doing db bench with different weights in each hand.