Thread: Keep bulking?

livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Keep bulking?

Started bulk in february. Finished cut at 166 now im at 174. I feel like ive gained more fat than i could have but i kept calories relatively low. Ended cut at 1900 per day. I increased to 2200 and when weight stalled i upped to 2400 then 2500. Most calculators would say that is around my maintenance yet here i am with almost no ab definition. What did i do wrong or is this just typical? I figured i could probably bulk to 180-185 as well as gain a good bit of strength back before needing to cut again. Since Feb i ran a few Mindpump programs and Canditos 6 week routine and a hypertrophy specific routine. My strength has only gone slightly up. Like 5 pounds each lift. Then i caught covid a few weeks ago and my strength is down. I keep reading its best ti bulk from a really lean starting point so should i just cut again then start over?

https://imgur.com/a/2sSkFNv

https://imgur.com/a/itECpaZ

ehah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What are you physique goals?
    "Thinking is getting me nowhere, a fact I accepted long ago."

"...the basics need to be held high in this age of retarded new wave info."

- Dave "The Blonde Bomber" Draper

livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ehah View Post
    What are you physique goals?
    Just overall getting stronger and bigger. Im 41 now. I was much stronger and bigger in my late 20s to mid 30s. Then i became obsessed with dieting and getting lean and had some injuries. The routines and the way i ate back then just dont seem to work anymore.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by livindagym View Post
    Just overall getting stronger and bigger.
    You looked a lot better in the before pic IMO, but if your goal is to get stronger & bigger keep bulking I guess. Either way do some direct trap work, it'll add a lot to your look.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just overall getting stronger and bigger. Im 41 now. I was much stronger and bigger in my late 20s to mid 30s. Then i became obsessed with dieting and getting lean and had some injuries. The routines and the way i ate back then just dont seem to work anymore.
    Remember you're 41, and since you have a history of strength training from your earlier years you won't be able to build muscle like that anymore. You still might be able to add a pound or two of muscle over the course of an entire year, but gaining 8 pounds in 6 months you be sure that probably 80% of that was fat.

We're on the downhill slope of our lives as far as building muscle is concerned (I'm 48), and trying to bulk in your 40's and beyond just doesn't have the results that you're likely expecting.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    Remember you're 41, and since you have a history of strength training from your earlier years you won't be able to build muscle like that anymore. You still might be able to add a pound or two of muscle over the course of an entire year, but gaining 8 pounds in 6 months you be sure that probably 80% of that was fat.

We're on the downhill slope of our lives as far as building muscle is concerned (I'm 48), and trying to bulk in your 40's and beyond just doesn't have the results that you're likely expecting.
    I just find it strange that eating as little as i did caused me to gain like that. I mean 6ft 174 and fairly active at my job and 2500ish calories a day shouldnt be much at all if any over my maintenance. I guess ill run this 8week hypertrophy routine again and lower calories slightly and see what happens. Then cut

Another question - how should i train now then? Any suggestions on a good routine?
    Last edited by livindagym; 08-08-2022 at 04:06 AM.

tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000)
    There are tons of people who know more than me, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. What if you took the middle ground: eat maintenance while focusing on lifting?

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Another question - how should i train now then? Any suggestions on a good routine?
    Yep, there's lots of them out there. How many days a week do you like to train, that will most often times drive what program would best suit you. I'm in the gym 5 days a week and I really like the Fierce 5 Lower/Upper LPP (5 day) which I sometimes make a couple modifications to. There is also a 4-day upper/lower.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1267226191

I also ran a version of Coolcicadas PPL for well over a year: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...9807833&page=1
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.