Curtis611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Less workouts same volume

Hi there!

I am curious what would happen if you were to workout once per week instead of twice, but doubled the workout volume to ensure the same weekly volume was covered.

For example instead of two days a week doing 4 sets of 10. If you did one day a week and did 8 sets of 10 or as close as you can manage.

How severely would this impact the progression?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and opinion it's much appreciated.

MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Curtis611 View Post
    Hi there!

I am curious what would happen if you were to workout once per week instead of twice, but doubled the workout volume to ensure the same weekly volume was covered.

For example instead of two days a week doing 4 sets of 10. If you did one day a week and did 8 sets of 10 or as close as you can manage.

How severely would this impact the progression?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and opinion it's much appreciated.
    4x10 in two sessions would likely be more effective than 8x10 in one workout because of the quality of your reps (form, technique, control), and your strength.

You'll be less fatigued doing 4x10 at a time, which means you'll likely be stronger and progress faster.

Your form and technique will most likely be better when you distribute your volume throughout the week instead of trying to get it all in at once. You'll probably be able to push yourself harder as well.

It doesn't mean 8x10 is bad. If that's what's going to work best for you and your schedule at the moment, then do it. But if someone had no limitations, I'd say 4x10 twice a week.
    WBFF Pro Muscle Model | Questions? Send me a private message.

Online Training/Coaching Application: https://www.gettfit.com/online-coaching/

Google Reviews of GettFit Online Coaching: https://g.page/r/CeuQw8grjXrzEAE

Instagram: mike.gettier

Join the ******** Group - Build Muscle, Lose Fat, and Become Stronger: https://www.********.com/groups/buildmusclelosefat

Curtis611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MG5 View Post
    4x10 in two sessions would likely be more effective than 8x10 in one workout because of the quality of your reps (form, technique, control), and your strength.

You'll be less fatigued doing 4x10 at a time, which means you'll likely be stronger and progress faster.

Your form and technique will most likely be better when you distribute your volume throughout the week instead of trying to get it all in at once. You'll probably be able to push yourself harder as well.

It doesn't mean 8x10 is bad. If that's what's going to work best for you and your schedule at the moment, then do it. But if someone had no limitations, I'd say 4x10 twice a week.
    Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. My schedule has been two full body workouts twice a week for quite some time. However recently I have found doing squats, bench and back on the same day extremely hard. I decided to switch to do legs once a week and upper body twice. Just making sure I really smash the legs session as hard as possible but don't want to lose out too much!!

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Curtis611 View Post
    Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. My schedule has been two full body workouts twice a week for quite some time. However recently I have found doing squats, bench and back on the same day extremely hard. I decided to switch to do legs once a week and upper body twice. Just making sure I really smash the legs session as hard as possible but don't want to lose out too much!!
    You should just run it & see how it works for you, that's the only way to know based on the specifics of your workout & your personal training history, body, lifts, etc.

Plenty of people do only 1 leg day a week with success. If anything, an ULU sounds better IMO than 2 full body days at least from a general perspective. Keep in mind, you don't have to (and perhaps shouldn't) be doing the exact same exercises/volume/reps/intensity weekly overall in both scenarios.