skelethor is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question questions on resting your muscles

I took a bodybuilding class in college. I think what I heard from that and in fitness magazines was that body parts you exercise should have a rest of one or two days. I've been thinking about that.

Let's say there is an obese person. Every step they take on the stairs is like doing a lower body exercise. And yet nobody tells them to stop walking every other day.

Or take someone in the construction industry. They work Monday through Friday and their bodies look fit. They don't have rest days.

I guess I really want to know optimum period of rest. I like to work out. When I'm bored I work out. When I'm feeling sad I tried to work out. When I want to kill time I work out. After overeating, I try to work out.
    A physiotherapist tells me that you won't atrophy in one or two weeks. I was concerned that if you don't exercise let's say in 5 days, your body's muscles will start to atrophy.

I believe that it's a universally accepted fact that our bodies build muscles at rest. I'm not disputing that. ( But if there is contradictory evidence do let me know.)

I heard that professional bodybuilders spend 6 hours every day at the gym. Or something like that.
    Last edited by skelethor; 08-06-2022 at 08:33 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yeah, it's a big oversimplification.

"using a muscle" can have very different meanings. The impact on recovery of a set of squats taken to within 1 rep of TRUE failure (a point many people never reach) is quite different to climbing stairs or doing air squats until you get a mild burn - but in reality are still a good 20-50 reps away from real failure.

So "tonnage" calculations like sets x reps x weight are not reliable as they can be manipulated to produce high numbers without using a big weight and/or without getting close to failure.

If exertion is kept consistently close to failure in every set, you can use the number of sets to calculate the total workload you've done.

Actually, full tissue remodelling following a heavy workout takes a long time to complete - several weeks BUT you can certainly train before that process is complete. So think of your recovery requirement as something that accumulates when you do hard sets and is slowly reduced by resting. The specifc intra week timings of muscle groups is not really necessary. You can train every day if your total weekly load is recoverable.

Mike Israetel talks about these concepts in a bit more detail - MRV (maximum recoverable volume) being the limit after which overtraining starts to happen