Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50)

L5-S1 hernia, how does my deadlift look?

So, i recently started doing standard deadlifts again (elevated with pada because weights in this gym are short so i can't lift any weight without rounding my back without elevating the bar)

Ive had a l5 s1 hernia since 12, bad genetics, never got injured or anything to get it.

It got very inflammated a few months ago. I decided to drop squats forever even if it was my best lift, super taxing on the spine for me.

Decided go drop standard DL too in favor of romanian and hex.

But recently i miss the standard DL so i decided to try it elevated and see how my back responds.

So far my back hasn't complained too much, i wanna ask you guys, what do you think of my movement pattern?

Anything that can be improved? Mind you I'm 6 1 and I've always struggled a lot with proper DL form

https://youtu.be/W7mMGgFBbJA

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It looks like the bar is a bit far from your thighs on the way up, not sure if that results from the higher starting point or just a form issue. Also doesn't look like you're locking out fully. But more or less fine if you're not aggravating your back issue.

I'd probably just do RDLs if you're gonna start that high on the pads, but do what you prefer.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    My dad is a doctor. Ask him the question and he would say that you are going to die.

My mom is a doctor too. Ask her the question and she would say that you are going to be fine.

The answer lies somewhere between the two.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Opossum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpockets: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Mark1T: Black Labrador retriever
    Paulinanas: Coyote
    Sails: Wlf

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have 2 degenerated discs, L4/L5 and L5/S1, and the vertebrae between them has a stress fracture; sciatic pain is hell. I'd say don't do anything that aggravates it.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datboileg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    I have 2 degenerated discs, L4/L5 and L5/S1, and the vertebrae between them has a stress fracture; sciatic pain is hell. I'd say don't do anything that aggravates it.
    The damn issue is that like paul says, every doctor says something else.

You got doctors telling you do DL because they strengthen your back protecting you from further injury

And ones that say the opposite.

I wish i could evaluate the pros and cons of what im doing and see if it's worth it.

The deadlift is such good exercise i feel like im missing out on a lot of gains when i dont do them

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    It looks like the bar is a bit far from your thighs on the way up, not sure if that results from the higher starting point or just a form issue. Also doesn't look like you're locking out fully. But more or less fine if you're not aggravating your back issue.

I'd probably just do RDLs if you're gonna start that high on the pads, but do what you prefer.
    So im supposed to basically always have the bar as close as possible to my legs on the way up?

When i do that it almost look like im squatting the weight up rather than lifting it with my back

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Datboileg View Post
    So im supposed to basically always have the bar as close as possible to my legs on the way up?
    You don't have to do anything, since people all have different dimensions & preferences and in the end if you lift the bar from floor to lockout, it doesn't matter how you do it. But yeah, keeping the bar close usually works best.

I can't see the bar but it looks like you're setting up with it pretty far in front instead of over your foot, and that it's drifting away from your thighs (more on the way up than down).

When i do that it almost look like im squatting the weight up rather than lifting it with my back
    DL isn't a back isolation, you should be using your legs although with your high setup it's taking them out of most of it. If you're happy with how you do it and feel that works best for you to lift more weight, that's fine by me. You're really doing more of a rack pull than a DL anyway.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

You’re not supposed to “lift with your back”

It is a leg exercise. You push off the floor and extend your hips and glutes to lockout. The back is there to a) keep the back and spine neutral ie not rounded or over extended and b) keep the bar as close to your body as you comfortably can.

Your set up looks fine and good but you lack leg drive off the ground and you don’t push your hips through to lockout.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 08-03-2022 at 05:27 PM.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you have previous back issues but still want to deadlift, sumo would probably be a smarter approach.