IamKyle0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

A burning question about achieving abs visibility

I am a 5' 8.9" (175cm) 60.7 kg skinny 22 year old beginner hitting the gym 3 days a week trying to gain muscle mass. I am continuously pushing myself to eat in a caloric surplus for a moderately faster improvement in my muscle growth. I spent my days sitting behind a computer completely inactive and unfit before hitting the gym early this month.

B.M.I.: 19.8
    Body fat(%): 5.0%
    Body Fat Mass: 1.7 kg

My gym has a machine able to calculate my body fat. As seen above my body fat is 5% as printed by the machine. From the videos I watch they state that if you are within the criteria of 5% - 8% you will easily be able to see your ab muscles. From my perspective when looking at the mirror; I've got a small portion of upper abs showing when I flex and a bit of a belly covering my lower abs. Keep in mind I have been living an inactive lifestyle and only started gym recently. I work out full body 3 weeks ago (only compound workouts) I do not do ab workouts.

Here are my questions:

Do I need to workout my abs for it to show even at 5% body fat (knowing that my abs are most likely very weak)?

Am I actually 5% body fat from the way I look?

Picture of me: https://gyazo.com/54ee21fd498c077b6badd00eec2d5a83

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You aren't 5% otherwise you'd definitely have abs. Those machines are very unreliable.

We've seen the same thing many times - guys who are too skinny trying to diet for abs just get smaller and often never achieve definition. Or if they do, it disappears at the slightest hint of carbs or salt in the diet. The reason for this is that it's much easier to get persistent definition if you spend a long time building up some muscle underneath which will show through skin and a thin layer of fat without having to go on a starvation diet.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sometimes it shows through a moderately thick layer of fat, as well; at least slightly. Doesn't look particularly good of course, but "powerlifter abs" is also a thing.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"