jgoldsboro is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post Beginning Weight loss Journey

Hello everyone,

I have been scrolling through the forums for around two weeks trying to find good tips on weight loss. I am posting this to start my weight loss journey. I am 21 years old and currently 237.9 pounds at a height of 5'8" making my BMI 36.1. I have been the bigger guy my entire life and would like to change that. In the past I had attempted to loss weight before with no success. During that time I was hitting the gym but couldn't get on a consistent schedule. As for my eating habits I tend to order food a lot. It is hard to not order food when I have it right at my finger tips with all these delivery services. If anyone knows a way to block fast food purchases on a card do let me know. As for cooking food, I love to cook food for anyone and have gotten decent at it. The problem I have it going to the store not buying something that isn't healthy. If anyone has any tips please let me know would love to read any that people have.

P.S. I stopped drinking soda 4 years ago and only drink water with the occasional glass of milk.

HagansFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hiring a nutrition coach like myself, or the countless others out there would probably be to your best benefit. Sometimes it's having that person keep you accountable with weekly check-ins, that will help you make the right decisions when shopping.
    29 y/o
    181-198lbs weight classes
    Squat: 535
    Bench: 350
    Deadlift: 620

CPT/CSNC/ Powerlifting Coach (In person and online)

tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You need intrinsic motivation. You should avoid ordering excessive amounts of food because you're driven to achieve your goals; not just because your credit card is blocked.

The same basic advice to give to everyone. Track your calories and macros. It's not just about what foods you eat, but also the portion sizes. You can still eat your favorite foods; just do it in moderation.

tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000) tadpole25 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by HagansFitness View Post
    Hiring a nutrition coach like myself, or the countless others out there would probably be to your best benefit. Sometimes it's having that person keep you accountable with weekly check-ins, that will help you make the right decisions when shopping.
    I know you came here to promo your services, but I disagree with this advice. If you're obese, you don't need expert advice or to be 100% optimal to lose weight. All he has to do is keep his calories in the 2000's instead of the 3000's.

It's important to be a self-starter. There are many people who get coaches and do well for several months, but then as soon as they stop seeing the coach, they gain the weight back and go back to their old habits. Yes, it's harder to do it alone, but doing it that way will help develop good long-term habits. Not just with fitness but with all aspects of life.

It's a two-way street and for a coach to work, the client has to put initiative. I think he should do the first half of the journey himself and then maybe seek help after that.